Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 97715 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #630 on: March 08, 2016, 01:53:03 am »

What style is Revelations anyway? Is it the Strictly Linear style of Conquest or the Easy Mode Style of Birthright?

----

Before I forget, I want to dispense advice on AI weaknesses that can be exploited reliably. To ensure the safest outcome for your troops, I've found the best method is the tried and true MMORPG method of 'pulling' small handfuls of troops into your own army where they're easy pickings. Naturally, the best Puller is someone with high defense, the only problem being that if that Puller is TOO defensive, the AI is programmed to not even bother attacking if it can't deal damage. However, sometimes it would attack into a unit it couldn't damage, and I finally figured out why: the AI only calculates defense vs attack power, and nothing else, it doesn't even look at battle forecasts. If your unit is receiving passive damage reduction from another unit's abilities, that's not factored into it's decision making.

So for example: you have Jakob pocketing your Corrin, his ability negates 3 damage. The AI is still thinking it'll get through some damage when it attacks, even if that damage negation makes Corrin invulnerable to that attack.

The AI also doesn't factor in a partner's full shield, and this led to a humorous scenario in which I screwed over the AI: There was a General + Outlaw combo pair walking on my position, I noticed that my Pegasus + Corrin pair had a full shield, so I sent in the pegasus to sit in his attack radius, and true to the AI's pathological need to shoot at fliers at any given opportunity no matter what, the General waddled over, switched over to the Outlaw, and tried shooting my Pegasus only to get denied. Having wasted it's turn, it was now a lot easier to completely disassemble that pair with the weaker partner exposed.

Just some tidbits to chew on when you're planning your turns.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 07:32:20 am by JoshuaFH »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 08, 2016, 07:36:39 am »

Most likely obvious, but the AI will attack someone they can't damage if they're the only one in range.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 08, 2016, 07:41:09 am »

Most likely obvious, but the AI will attack someone they can't damage if they're the only one in range.

I've had it happen on several occasions where my nearly max defense knight walked right up into their face, and the AI didn't even flinch. It's true that, depending on which level you're own, the AI is made to be more or less sophisticated, like the AI is based on some trigger other than proximity, but this is what I've observed.

EDIT: Like, applying a debuff is one thing that the AI will always attempt to do, even if the attack itself deals no damage.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 08, 2016, 07:41:48 am »

Not always. I've noticed that sometimes the AI will move towards a character in attack range as thought triggered, but not bother to attack if they could not deal damage. Those enemies might have been programmed to move regardless of player proximity, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 08, 2016, 11:14:08 am »

Oh. It might be Awakening only, but many a time I've seen an enemy with abysmal hit chances or 0 damage hits attack a unit simply because it was the only person they could reach.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2016, 03:37:56 pm »

Honestly, it seems really inconsistent, but I'd like to try to apply a little logic to it since otherwise that just means the AI is deliberately designed to make bad decisions, and you wouldn't do that to me, eh NINTENDO? Yeah you would.

BTW shoutouts to Mozu for being even more of a monster than in Conquest. In Conquest I just defaulted to maxing out her Villager class and then segued into Master of Arms, then crossed over to Great Knight using a husband seal with Xander, then used another Heart Seal to move her back to Merchant, and even after all that she left me kinda unsatisfied due to still being kinda squishy,  such that I was afraid to place her into any dangerous situation. Here though in Birthright, I decided to just make her an Archer, and that was her calling all along as she can pretty much two-shot anything in the early game. With me avoiding the grinding missions, she threatens to leave the rest of my team underleveled, but it's hard to justify not feeding her when she's getting 4-6 stat ups on every level. Thanks Mozu, for one shotting that boss that put me into a bad spot, overcoming the penalty from Bowbreaker to save the rest of my team, so glad those monsters killed your family girl :)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 08, 2016, 06:24:00 pm »

Progressing nicely through Birthright atm. Chapter 14's the first one since 11 that's put up any resistance.
By the way, has anyone deciphered these Ancient Texts in the library? It's really mysterious, I'm not sure if they're there to be something for players to crack, or if there's something in the game that decodes them and I simply haven't stumbled onto anything that even references them.
Oh! Oh oh oh! I translated the poem!

A dragon neither white nor black
Saw his future self
As no more than a caged beast
A dragon neither white nor black
Sang three songs of prophecy
So someday his soul might be released

I'm thinking of doing the other ones sometime.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2016, 06:36:51 pm »

Man that's cool as hell, I can barely even make out the shape of the letters, but here you are playing Covert Action on these runes.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 08, 2016, 06:58:03 pm »

You know what since we're at it I'll get started on the prophecies.

...Hmm. Their names are "Prophecy of Sky", "Prophecy of Land", and "Prophecy of Depths". Judging by the fact that [Takumi's] (the Nohrian final boss) battle theme is called "End of All (Land)", I'm guessing that each one of these is one of the songs that aforementioned dragon sang, and that each one outlines the events of one of the routes, so I'm going to start with the Land Prophecy.

It reads:

"Embrace the dark
You call a h"

The prophecies are the path-specific lyrics of "Lost in Thoughts All Alone".

I haven't played Revelations yet since it hasn't come out as DLC, so the Prophecy of Depths is new to me:

I'll tackle "Dragons & People" next.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2016, 07:02:48 pm »

It's pretty fitting that [angry pineapple man] is the Nohr final boss, seeing as [YOU NOHRIAN SCUM DESERVE TO BE LAID DOWN AT HIS HAND].
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 08, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »

Spoiler: Dragons and Humans (click to show/hide)

Say what you will about Fates, but that backstory is cool.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 08, 2016, 07:19:38 pm »

Fire Emblem sure likes its dragons.
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:44 pm »

Which reminds me of this gem: you guys know how Thracia 776 has an English opening that's remarkably well-written? Apparently they fired the guy who wrote that before they made FE7, since the following text was the original intended opening to Blazing Sword:
There was a continent where “people” and a “dragon” live together a long time ago.Both they were living by not invading.However suddenly The balance was tornby invasion of “people.”Fighting has also changed naturalprovidence.This to fight was called”war of a dragon and a man.”The defeated dragon disappearedto somewherePeople who won made it steady andlengthened power.And about 1000 years after…

I'll translate "Bloodline" later, my 3DS just died.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 08, 2016, 07:37:47 pm »

Spoiler: Dragons and Humans (click to show/hide)

Say what you will about Fates, but that backstory is cool.

That's the backstory of Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Holy War as well :P

Actually, to my knowledge, every single Fire Emblem *without exception* has had Dragons as mythical beings either directly driving, or indirectly responsible, for everything that happens in the plot. It's actually ridiculous, there's dragon blooded people, shapeshifting dragon people, people that are dragons, a dragon dimension that's just filled to bursting with dragons, spirit dragons, you can't walk ten feet in this universe without bumping into a dragon.

ACTUALLY, another odd similarity with Fire Emblem 4, is that incest is back yaaaayyyyy! It would seem that no matter which side you choose, your main character can get an S rank (the official gettin' freaky relationship stage) with any opposite sex member of the family, either adopted or blood related, it doesn't matter these siblings are fair game. Time to start purifying this bloodline.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 08, 2016, 07:42:36 pm »

Spoiler: Massive spoilers (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 70