Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which upcoming/recently-released game has you most hyped?

fire emblem: waifu roulette
- 2 (16.7%)
fire emblem: fates except with even more weird gimmicks
- 5 (41.7%)
fire emblem: who even knows
- 5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 70

Author Topic: Fire Emblem: Watch the Fire Emblem Direct for old game annoucements!  (Read 98424 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem: Fates is out!
« Reply #735 on: March 30, 2016, 08:15:50 pm »

I enjoyed Bravely Default, but the whole groundhog day loop bullshit eroded my enjoyment of it immensely.

Also, I have never tried Lunatic mode, because it becomes less strategy and more "How can the enemy fuck you today?"

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 03, 2016, 03:05:04 pm »

Just bought Revelation. JoshuaFH, you've played it, right? How good is it?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 03, 2016, 03:13:48 pm »

Just bought Revelation. JoshuaFH, you've played it, right? How good is it?

Very good, you get nearly all the characters you can get all in both sides, which includes new conversations and supports for characters that couldn't interact in Conquest or Birthright, and all items, plus cool gimmicks, plus a story that actually makes a *little bit* of sense. Plus probably the most epic cutscene in the whole game.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 03, 2016, 06:16:27 pm »

Having played it for three hours straight and on chapter 11 right now I concur.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of the map reusage--did they really have to use that damn spiked forest map again? Are they trying to give me PTSD with Conquest 20 Redux?--but it's a lot of fun anyway.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 03, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »

Yeah, I didn't like that forest map either. It's just one of those ones that are just a slog to get through, plus you can only disarm the traps for a single turn, then they rearm, so I was disarming them over and over, it drove me nuts.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 04, 2016, 09:01:14 am »

It's been a couple days since I've beaten Revelations now, so after stewing on it for a bit, I thought that I'd give my final thoughts on the game as a whole: Overall, the game is great, it's the best installment since 4. Nearly everything about it is so fresh and new, rebalancing the entire item system to be kosher with everything being indestructible was a very welcome change. I'll agree partially with the common sentiment that splitting the game into  3 segments is a little cash grabby, since you need to drop the entire $80 to get the entire experience, but I'll still defend it in that each segment is unique and fun enough to warrant the price tag. Individually however, I still thought that each route was kinda short; by the time you finish up any route, unless you've done some grinding, you won't have anyone at max level or specced out optimally. That's just something that is a pet peeve of mine, since I put so much thought into each individual character's growth and the route they'll take through classes to pick up skills, and then the game ends before I'm able to realize my plans, unless I stop to grind which everyone in this thread knows by now I lament to do.

I thought that there was not enough variety in mission objectives, with the vast majority of them being Route, Seize, or Kill the Boss. The TWO (2) missions which were Survive and Escape respectively were very memorable and the most fun in my opinion, and they were both in Conquest. I thought that some of the gimmicks used in some missions were very cool, but I was disappointed that they were very frequently only used once and then never again; I felt that they could have used those first instances of using the gimmicks as the tutorial stages for the player, and then used that to make the future stages more complex and strategic. I like that the routes frequently had you tackle the same maps, but often from different angles and always with a different setup of characters, which I feel allowed players returning to those maps to more thoroughly enjoy them.

The characters I thought followed very closely to a lot of stereotypes that are present in previous FE's, but Intsys always gives them a little unique flair to give them their own personality. My favorite support conversation so far is the one in Revelations for S-rank SaizoXCharlotte. I'm a little disappointed that it's only the Men (and Azura and Female Corrin) that determine which children will be born, and that normally only 1 child is born out of every union, but I suppose I'll cut the script writing guys some slack, since otherwise they'd be hitting the exponential part of the curve where there'd be WAY too many conversations and supports between every possible combination of characters if each union provided 2 children, and each child needed unique conversations with every other child and parent. Mostly I just wish that some of my favorite female characters (Obero and Mozu) had their own children, rather than just having generic conversations with whichever child their husband gives them. I only ever played the game with a female!Corrin, since that's how I played Awakening, but I feel that was an optimal way to play the game since pairing her up that way gives two children instead of one; I'm not sure how much I'm missing from not being a Male, but I don't believe it could be a great deal of missed content.

And this is an entirely meta note: after looking at the Fanmade Restoration project to more closely give the experience of the Japanese Version of the game, I agree that the localization could have allowed more things over here to us Amerikanji's, but I still think the game as they presented it to us is still top-notch and worthy of playing. I've already deleted the game from my 3DS, and I'll be burning time until Bravely Second and Dark Souls 3 come out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:03:26 am by JoshuaFH »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 04, 2016, 10:43:57 am »

Since you've played Revelations already, Joshua (and I'm not even close to playing it yet), do you think that a Revelations Lunatic/Casual run would be enjoyable but still somewhat challenging?

To be honest, I've grown really tired of getting halfway (or further) through chapters only to have to restart because ONE character got unlucky, but I also know that the game would be way too easy if I played Normal/Casual or Hard/Casual.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:53:08 am by Nighthawk »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 04, 2016, 10:59:43 am »

Lunatic Casual was actually really fun in Awakening, if only because in that game the jump in difficulty from Hard to Lunatic is easily more than double. Playing casual in that circumstance changes the nature of the game, and throwing characters into unsurvivable situations becomes a strategy you can use to help complete the main objective. The character's lives are your disposable pawns towards beating the game, rather than babysitting them. Though, I want to stress I didn't have a 100% survival rate during my Hard!classic runs, if a character died I'd take a moment to decide if I REALLY wanted or needed that character, and sometimes I didn't, which is why I didn't complete Conquest with Niles or Odin.

I played Hard Classic on all my playthroughs, and my playstyle was extremely slow, plodding, methodically cautious on every map, with a heavy reliance on high DEF characters tanking most enemies, and then debuffing enemies before engaging straight-on; That's why Obero was my favorite character, she could fill both of those roles by herself. That's probably why I liked Chapters 10 and 21 of Conquest so much, because my ultra safe playstyle just doesn't work on those ones, I'm placed into an extreme situation with a time requirement and I have to bust out of that mindset and think differently than how I normally do.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 02:14:22 pm by JoshuaFH »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 04, 2016, 01:52:51 pm »

I'm not sure how much I'm missing from not being a Male, but I don't believe it could be a great deal of missed content.
You're actually getting more content. Male characters can't get all the kids unless they marry one of the Corrinsexuals (Reina, Flora, Scarlet.) Since I want to have literally everybody on my first Revelation playthrough so I can get as many supports as possible, I've decided to go with Flora, so I probably won't end up getting married until the postgame.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 04, 2016, 03:20:30 pm »

Another method of avoiding the issue of not-enough-girls-to-go-around is to marry male Corrin to a second-generation (child) character.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:50 pm »

Ah, good point. So that's another route around it, yeah. (Although personally I'm more partial to first-gen waifus.)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 06, 2016, 06:00:14 pm »

Frederick 2: Older and Grumpier
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 06, 2016, 07:03:14 pm »

Frederick 2: Older and Grumpier
Silly Bowtie, Gunter is Jeigan II: Electric Boogalooven Worse This Time :P

Has anybody tried a "Wireless Battle" from the Extras menu? I haven't yet, but by the sounds of it it's an actual head-to-head PVP competition akin to Shadow Dragon's wi-fi game. Once I've put together a good Revelations team I'd love to fight someone.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 06, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »

Yes, I've tried it, they had a competition near where I live. Hoshido players vs. Nohr players. Nohr got rekt.

You set up a small team- 5 units iirc- from your game and directly go against another player. I haven't the slightest clue what "Handicap" does, but there's a "limit stats" or somesuch option that lets the two teams be roughly equal in terms of stats.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 06, 2016, 07:30:49 pm »

If it's anything like Smash Bros., handicap should lower actual / max health for the units before the start of the match.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 70