Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 224691 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2014, 02:17:49 am »

I think setups like that have been run, it's usually flavoured as presidential mafia.  It's similar to normal lynching except far more anti-town (the mafia can manipulate the vote and steal a mislynch if they win).

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2014, 02:04:13 pm »

Just had a giant post and my browser liked it.  :'(
Ahem, redone.

SHOOTOUT
2 scum out of 5-7 players (not sure about exact numbers).
Each player has X points at any time, starts with N (5?) points, and this each player's point amount is known at all times. Scum has a chat.
If you reach 0 points, you exit the game (this is a good thing!).

Two phases - day and night.
During the day, discussion and lynching occur. Lynching adds 2 points to the target's total. Voting "no lynch" is possible and ties will also result in no lynch. Days last 24-48 hours.
During the night, the shootout occurs. Each person PM's the mod the person they want to shoot (or !none's).

If the sum of your attackers' X's is more than your own X, you gain 1 point (are "killed").
If you succeed in helping kill someone (i.e. if your target was "killed"), you lose 2 points.

In order to win, a team must have 2 players (equal to size of scum team) leave the game.

The original game this one is based on is one I invented some time ago (do not know if it was invented before me, but whatever), where there was no scum team (every man for himself), no lynching, and killing lost you only one point. It took a lot of rounds to finish, so I sped it up.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 18, 2014, 11:17:54 am »

I've been considering running some sort of Unbalanced Mafia game. Each person gets an alignment and then receives a random role from the Xylbot Role List (that matches their alignment). The game then begins.

However, I'm not sure how I would balance the numbers of such a game. I would want third parties, I know that for sure.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:27 am »

I'm reasonably certain you can use the actual Xylbot to generate a set of roles given a number of players and a couple of parameters based on extremeness of the roles.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 18, 2014, 11:36:40 am »

I'm reasonably certain you can use the actual Xylbot to generate a set of roles given a number of players and a couple of parameters based on extremeness of the roles.
Oh, I didn't realize that was a thing. I'm dumb.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2014, 01:45:39 pm »

Understandable if you haven't been in the IRC room.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

"Insane" is basically what you're describing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2014, 12:44:36 pm »

I've been considering running some sort of Unbalanced Mafia game. Each person gets an alignment and then receives a random role from the Xylbot Role List (that matches their alignment). The game then begins.

However, I'm not sure how I would balance the numbers of such a game. I would want third parties, I know that for sure.
Sounds like a less extreme KotM.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 22, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »

The point of having a list of alignments is to let players know what to expect in the game, I think it's not a bad idea.  Having "outsider" on the list undermines that goal, though.
I agree, and I mostly avoid Outsider, as it tends to be a rather useless alignment. Sort of ruins the point of the game. But, I keep it in the off-chance that it's needed. I also find that Brother is a poor alignment of choice, but only because you can't have a lot of influence over whether you win or lose.

Town/Mafia is standard
SK is a good alignment
Cult is a good alignment, but it's a tough one to balance
Ally is a good alignment
Survivor tends to be an okay to bad alignment
Lyncher is a good alignment
Martyr is an odd alignment
Watcher is actually a surprisingly okay alignment
Assassin is... odd. It's tough to fully balance and make playable
Brother is bad since you have no idea what to really DO, and the person you're helping typically doesn't like you
Jester is awful garbage, and I think they should die in a fire. The only way to make Jester viable is to give them incentive to not make the game miserable for having them in it. Which is basically impossible.

Mostly out of curiosity, what kind of incentive for the jester are we talking about?
What kinds of powers would you put on a Jester?

What do you think of each form of ally? (Town-ally, Cult-ally, Survivor-ally, Brother-ally, Assassin-ally, Jester-ally, etc)

If you want to, you could just PM me, though, instead of wasting time.

Crossposting a bit because it's going off topic of the original thread.

If it's a hammer game, an incentive like "You have one additional vote for every non-town you are voting for that is lynched" perhaps?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 22, 2014, 09:15:40 pm »

Ah. That works better than a PM. Cross-post success.

I'm mostly wondering about Jester-ally, actually.
Or a lyncher-ally who is the [Player] that the lyncher wants dead. Ooh, that would be an interesting twist on the concept. They don't know that they want to get lynched.
Hmm. Now I can't include that in FHPBYOR, because it would be obvious what I was doing.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 22, 2014, 09:36:11 pm »

That's actually a clever idea.  Nice.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:13 am »

That's actually a clever idea.  Nice.
Which one? Self-target Lyncher-ally, or Jester-ally?
I'm guessing lyncher-ally.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 23, 2014, 06:30:31 am »

Jester is already a pretty bad role, making it easier to win doesn't help.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 23, 2014, 12:43:34 pm »

How so?

Game-ending jesters are kind of dumb, in my opinion. Otherwise, jesters can be interesting.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 23, 2014, 05:27:25 pm »

How so?

Game-ending jesters are kind of dumb, in my opinion. Otherwise, jesters can be interesting.
Unfortunately, they're not.

Imagine, if you will, that I just sit here and make the game as tedious and annoying for you as possible. The Mafia has no real reason to lynch me, and for all you know, I could simply be using RiA to not get lynched. So, essentially, you're going to have to lynch me. Jesters have poor alignments, and if they're played well, it's fun, but it's easier to win well by playing extremely poorly.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 62