Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317904 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: Opposing forces
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2014, 09:31:23 am »

I've been thinking about making this game more deadly (and thus funnier), and I realized that maybe I overreacted after saying that aiming means a -1 malus to dexterity. That, combined with the low time that lasts the pain penalties, makes it unlikely for someone to exploit someone's weakness. That's not fun.

So, I am thinking about removing the -1 penalty for aiming, because it should be possible for someone to hit someone's legs until they fall so that they beat them into unconsciousness while that person is on the floor.
On the other hand, the penalty for aiming for the head will stay, but pain there will cause a general -1 to every action, not just pot. That way aiming for the head is riskier, but with even more reward than before.
And, also, I'm thinking about increasing the time pain takes to go off, from 2 turns per step, to 3 turns.

So, to sum up, the change that I'm proposing is:
-Remove the aiming penalty for every body part, excluding the head.
-Pain in the head causes a general -1 to actions.
-Pain takes 1 turn more to go off.

So, what do you guys think?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 19, 2014, 10:33:06 am »

A knight not using armor. Because to move normally in armor, you have to be dexterous out of it.
Not so much. A well-trained knight in decent armor (which, being nobles, they could sure as hell afford) wouldn't lose dexterity. Speed, perhaps. Endurance, almost certainly. But dexterity? Well, look at people in pretty accurate replicas of medieval armor doing cartwheels, and consider that knights didn't have a day job to go to when they weren't practicing for the next Renaissance Fair.

Magic is not scienced into superiority,
Correct. Which is why I'm a bit disappointed in my luck so far.

Either that or making even a 1 do damage in the strength roll, and thus making both fives and sixes apply the maximmum penalty.
That works.

Meanwhile: Get weapons! They are deadly, and they are the main incentive to don't use unarmed combat.
You say that like it's easy. I can't summon stuff to save my life (although I'm quite good at doing so to endanger it), and my allies are busy sciencing.

That works. Only don't apply that to pain already in place.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:11 am »

A knight not using armor. Because to move normally in armor, you have to be dexterous out of it.
Not so much. A well-trained knight in decent armor (which, being nobles, they could sure as hell afford) wouldn't lose dexterity. Speed, perhaps. Endurance, almost certainly. But dexterity? Well, look at people in pretty accurate replicas of medieval armor doing cartwheels, and consider that knights didn't have a day job to go to when they weren't practicing for the next Renaissance Fair.
I would argue that plate armor wouldn't let you flex your joints so easily, but maybe you are talking about mail, that would indeed make you slower, but allows more freedom when it goes to manipulating stuff.

That works. Only don't apply that to pain already in place.
If I get to apply it, then it would be in some turns. Anyway, I would need to hear what the other players hear first, though.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 19, 2014, 01:06:12 pm »

It sounds good to me. And not only because it may cause the waitlist to cycle faster.  :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 19, 2014, 01:26:06 pm »

I would argue that plate armor wouldn't let you flex your joints so easily...
If it's rusty? Sure. If it's well-maintained, not so much as you'd think.
Guess which one knights usually used?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:35 pm »

Sent my turn. I actually sent two messages; the second one identifies itself as the actual turn that will be used, and I explained why I changed the turn in the message. The first turn should just be disregarded.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 19, 2014, 04:16:20 pm »

Mistake, then?
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 19, 2014, 06:29:36 pm »

Headcannon: The Dragon Knight is poor and can only afford old, rusty armor.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 19, 2014, 06:46:49 pm »

Sent my turn. I actually sent two messages; the second one identifies itself as the actual turn that will be used, and I explained why I changed the turn in the message. The first turn should just be disregarded.
Neither one arrived.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 19, 2014, 07:24:50 pm »

Headcannon: The Dragon Knight is poor and can only afford old, rusty armor.
1. He's named (and text-colored) after the character of the same name in Dota. Which I might consider playing again.
2. He doesn't have armor.
3. The discussion was about if knights were dextrous or not.
Sig

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 19, 2014, 08:06:46 pm »

Wait list please
Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 19, 2014, 09:30:19 pm »

Eric looks at Thrakor and points at Thrakor's feet. "Oh, did I mention fuck you?"

Help Romek up after saying words.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 20, 2014, 07:32:37 am »

Wait list please
Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
You had already submitted a character sheet, when you sent me the action for the Pit of Magic, remember? Anyway, which one are you going to use?

I'm giong to clarify something:

While I focused on melee combat to propose that change of mechanics, it won't be tied to physical combat only. The possibility of targeting any body part excluding the head without incurring in a penalty will be possible from aimed spells too. Logically, if some things like Pain increase in duration one turn, multi-turn penalties should also increase in one turn (like minor and heavy burns).

If this happens, another little change will happen to the torso, as there won't be any penalties to targeting a vital part like the torso, I have to make it sturdier, because you can't cut a person in half as easily as it is to cut someone's arm.
So, the torso would have its health increased by 33%, regarding hacking, slashing, and bashing weapons, as well as other focalized debuffs such as burned. In the former place of the Heavy X penalty at six points, there is going to be a Profuse X penalty, which carries a definite -1 to dexterity and speed, as well as an added -1 to endurance (the penalty to endurance will apply to the check to determine if the Profuse penalty is applied).

So, I would like input from the players in the former subject.

Also, independently of if this gets upvoted or not, I'm going to change the rules for wrestling. My original idea was to make it strength-based, but as far as we have seen, it is too dexterity based. So I'm going to increase the chances of someone being able to grab somebody else, by making equal dexterity rolls prompt the strength check for trying to break the grapple, and if the attacker loses by 1 the dexterity check (eg: 4 vs 5), the strength check will be rolled with a -2 malus on his part.
Think of equal rolls as when nobody has the upper hand in the grapple, and as a -1 for the attacker as when he barely manages to grasp a little bit of your clothes. If you are really wimpy, he has the possibility of succeeding, but without a strength difference, those chances are really low.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 20, 2014, 04:11:48 pm »

Neither one arrived.

I enabled the option to see messages in conversations rather than individual messages, so I think I accidentally sent them to myself...

In any case, I sent you the turn, should've gotten it this time.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 20, 2014, 04:17:24 pm »

Neither one arrived.

I enabled the option to see messages in conversations rather than individual messages, so I think I accidentally sent them to myself...

In any case, I sent you the turn, should've gotten it this time.
It arrived!

Also, I'm still waiing for responses on the balance change about targeting that I'm proposing. I know that nobody wats to die, but also people not dying is detrimental to everybody's chances of character progression, and thus game progression itself.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 197