Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 197

Author Topic: Tribulations in Magic: The cavalry is... still preparing.  (Read 317958 times)

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: When magic goes the wrong way.
« Reply #1440 on: August 27, 2014, 12:29:53 am »

"This magic system is certainly more volatile than I'm used to."

Murder attempt, take two.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 27, 2014, 12:37:20 am »

Edit: Wrong thread.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 27, 2014, 12:57:43 am »

Oh right, I need an action.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 27, 2014, 05:31:32 am »

The question: can Not-Conan survive Fire-Fire-Fire-Lightning-Lightning-Lightning?

The diminishing returns thing might be an issue, of course. Maybe I should summon an elemental lion, instead.

The problem would be: can you survive it?

The whole mechanic is balanced in two ways:
1) Being pool intensive
2) The almost guaranteed risk of hurting yourself with it, due to really high rolls.
3) Due to point 2), the enemies' exposure is decreased.

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 27, 2014, 04:02:45 pm »

Would it be deadly if you somehow managed to avoid hitting yourself? Or, even if you just suicide at him with that spell?
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 27, 2014, 06:56:13 pm »

Would it be deadly if you somehow managed to avoid hitting yourself? Or, even if you just suicide at him with that spell?
The first issue is not actually a problem, with an exception whose deadliness is not too alarming.

The second, well, the diminishing returns make it unlikely for someone to reach a pot of 12 and then make the respective rolls from both players low enough to make them die both. And even if that happens, that would just kill the one abusing the mechanic, which could be considered as something intended.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 27, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »

Heh.  I forgot about this thread after my last post, and only now remembered to check.  I figured I was probably killed for inactivity.

Luckily, I was regular-killed before that happened! ;D

Rewaitlist, 1 pot, 8 pool.

Might as well try something different.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 27, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »

The question: can Not-Conan survive Fire-Fire-Fire-Lightning-Lightning-Lightning?

The diminishing returns thing might be an issue, of course. Maybe I should summon an elemental lion, instead.
The thought has occurred.
With my 5 poll max (and the 1 pool per turn regen in combat) I could cast "fireforward magma lion" or such twice win two turns, or if I was willing to do some legwork (ie running away) "[element] [fearsome beast]" at least four times in a row.

So creating distractions (of the possibly lethal variety) is quite possible, on useful(ish) scales.
And if you make Dragons, then on literal scales :P
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 27, 2014, 08:09:23 pm »

You wouldn't get the soul, though it would make an effective distraction.

Or would you? Tomcost, are you willing to state the rule on this?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 27, 2014, 08:09:45 pm »

More NPC's for me to kill?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 27, 2014, 09:04:00 pm »

You wouldn't get the soul, though it would make an effective distraction.

Or would you? Tomcost, are you willing to state the rule on this?
I presumed you would get the soul, as the silver-cog-leg-beast earlier I think (presume) was made with the "furious divinity/holy-bloody-murder" word, and hence was a special case. Plus in that case it killed it's maker, also likely another special case.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 27, 2014, 09:13:29 pm »

Actually, the thing that has the kill would get the soul and the stat point, then you would have to kill that thing.

I noticed that this criteria hasn't been followed right at the beginning of the game, when the fire and electricity bear killed Cromwell, but it is because I hadn't decided how to do with those things yet.

Anyway, the bear died on his own, so it wouldn't have been important, the soul would have been lost anyway. Unless somenone decided to face a fire bear at that stage, which was unlikely.

Anyway, that only costed the progress of the game one soul.

And, I have to tell you guys, don't expect a new turn for a week or so. I'm busy, like really busy for some days.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:52 am »

Aww. Oh well. At least I have Space Engineers to distract me! *slight desperation*

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 02, 2014, 04:00:15 pm »

Words to test on a grander scale!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tribulations in Magic: We are back!
« Reply #1454 on: September 03, 2014, 09:13:04 am »

Turn 063

"That was it?  Feel my power!"

Go break his legs with the hammer.  I really need one without that silly -1 str.

"This magic system is certainly more volatile than I'm used to."

Murder attempt, take two.

[Systar spd:4-1=3]
[Zolond spd:2-2=0]

Systar, not managing to totally overcome the paralysis, still tries to put an end to his enemy's ability to stand properly:

[Systar dex:3]
[Zolond dex:6-1=5]

But the whole idea of getting a kneecap bashed in seemed to make Zolond react fast enough for him to evade Systar's poorly aimed strike.

Now it is his turn to act:

[Zolond pot:5+1=6]

[Zolond dex:6-1=5]
[Systar dex:2]

A huge fireball erupts in front of the dark-skinned man, which happened to be the place where Systar was. Systar barely attempted to move, clearly not seeing this coming. Zolond, who also didn't see this coming, was on the other hand at least more prepared, and managed to jump back. Sadly, he didn't do that in time, and one of his arms got caught in the fire.

Systar now has [Minor burns] in chest, arms and right leg.

Zolond now has [Minor burns] in his right arm.

Oh right, I need an action.

"...huh."

More tests! MORE TESTS!

Quote from: EP
PM

The diamond Ork decides to try something new:

[Pot:3+1=4]
Your whole body flashes with light, and you are back at your fleshy non-Ork form! Damn, you remember the arrow that hit you in the back, it hurts! But, before you could totally rationalize it, you begin to glow again, then you flash with light and you suddenly find yourself flying with a dangerous speed towards the wall you were facing!

Crash!

Everybody in the room, including the Xenomorph, turns around to see you. As you get up, you notice that you are diamond again! But the arm you used to cover your face with now is covered with cracks. Maybe you shouldn't try that often. Oddly enough, from the cracks, a lot of heat is coming, as well as an octariney glow. As soon Derm points out, you also have a larger "vent" in your back, where the arrow hit back when you were with that careless bastard.

Also, unfortunately, you are not an Ork any more.

Leaking 12/12

Now comes the Flimsy Wizard's turn!

[Pot:5+1=6]
Nothing happens!

A thick golden line appears and draws a big pair of boots.

[Pot:1+1=2]
A small drop of silvery liquid appears and falls in front of you.

You get a pair of gloves in a nice golden line!

[Pot:6+1=7]
You now get a wrestling champion-sized belt.

[Pot:4+1=5]
Now you get a bunch of conduits, odd bags, and odd bags with conduits sticking out of them made from a kind of rubber, some of them really hard in the extremes, and even sharp.

And now, it is Derm's turn!

A golden line appears and draws a humanoid beast with thick tusks! It looks at you a bit confused, then tries to punch you. Naturally, you know what happens next. It went through you and disappeared.

[Pot:4+1=5]
Now another golden line, this time a huge ogre, which also tries to punch you, to the same effect as the other beastly humanoid.

A rift opens in front of you! the room gets tainted from the purple light coming out of it. Inside it, you can see... what is that? I-it doesn't seem to be anything that you can now, the whirling mass of tentacles is constantly moving, changing, multiplying and joining together. The only order you can see there is the definite lack of such. A dark eyeball with a purple pupil erupts from the tentacles, and stares at you.

[Will:6-1=5]
The rift closes, and an odd rune forms in front of Derm's forehead. It is glowing purple, yet it appears to be changing, never taking a definite shape. Anyway, he is not Derm any more.

He notices the Flimsy Wizard, and unleashes a spell, talking with a low-piched tone, that makes his words unintelligible:

[Derm pot:3+1=4]

[Derm dex:5+1-1=5]
[Flimsy dex:4-1=3]

Not-Derm points at the Wizard and a fist-sized mass of an octariney thing forms in front of his hand and flies towards the Wizard. The latter could not manage to evade it, in fact, was not even aware of that, and just a small doses of reflexes led him to tilt his head backwards at he last second, as half his lower jaw disintegrated in searing pain.

Not-Derm laughed in maniacal fashion. But the rune banished and suddenly the laugh stopped, and the ensuing bewildered face could only be trying to ask a single thing:

The hell happened here?

Ironically, it is the rest of them who should be asking that to him.

The Flimsy wizard now has:
[Bleeding I]
((Even if the bleeding is removed, the chance will still be present))

And his face lacks a chunk. This means, less stuff to dissolve to get to his brain!

"Huh. That was informative."
(also @GM, nice sing-along there ;D)
"MOAR SCIENCE!"

You are a little scared about what you have just seen, but it feels oddly familiar for some reason. You shrug as best a a xenomorph can and do more science:

[Pot:2+1=3]
A golden line appears and draws something wide in one side, and less wide in the other. Yeah.

A chunk of steel appears in front of you, and falls to the ground with a thud.

[Pot:1+1=2]
Now a portion of something tainted with red dust appears.

A chunk of wood appears in front of you and falls to the ground. You hear a little voice coming out of it:

"Wh-wh-what? What is this? Who am I? What is everything?"

You bend what would be your knees, and then see that the chunk of wood has little wood eyes and a crude mouth. The thing watches you, its eyes opening widely, then says:

"W-What are you?"

Achievement unlocked: Plank

Words to test on a grander scale!

[Pot:5]
You head glows.

[Pot:6]
Your right foot glows

[Pot:3]
Your left hand glows, somewhat.

[Pot:3]
You are not sure what happened here.

That was a small step for a man, but a giant leap for SCIENCE!

That is an... interesting... skull.
Continue the Science!

Moar science!

[Dex:3+2=5]
A huge ball of fire materializes in front of your face and moves forward, not before leaving some burns in the arm you used to cover your face.

[Minor burns] in right arm!

A thick golden line appears and draws a huge fish, with three nasty-looking rows of teeth. It tries to bite you, and, as you cower in fear, it goes through you, and you aren't harmed at all! Yay!

That was more dangerous science.

Character sheets
Spoiler: Dermonster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bigf00t (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roguearchivist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elephant Parade (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lost in Nowhere (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolepgeek (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 197