Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Guide  (Read 14463 times)

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Guide
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 07:19:48 pm »

Hey, I'm a tad bored, so I thought I'd add some more experience based tips, having read your guide so far.

- The catacombs underneath the fort at the centre of a town have a HUGE amount of free metal armour, metal weapons, and other mish mash. They do have bandits and outcasts too though, so be careful! But the bandits and outcasts are not usually near where you enter, they are normally deep in the catacombs. Honestly, taking gear from the catacombs, and from fortresses is all I do; I've never bothered to buy and sell in shops.

- The heavier a metal/material is, the more blunt impact damage it will do. Making silver, iron, platinum or slade the best materials for blunt weapons.

- Wrestling with a free hand will allow you to take hold of enemy weapons/armour, and remove it. You can then drop it, put it in your pack, or throw it at them. So don't ignore wrestling

- Punching, kicking, scratching, pinching, and biting are VERY unpredictable, and seem to take the difference in creature sizes into account. So you could bite someone and shake them around and dismember a body part, or you could just cause some minor bleeding. This is how kittens have killed bronze colossi/titans.

- It IS gamey/overpowered. BUT you can equip a seemingly infinite number of weapons and shields. Simply put them all into your pack, then remove items from your pack. This can mean you have many chances to block/parry, and will never be caught out by a weapon being stuck in a wound as you can just use your other weapons.

- Defensive skills are the MOST important skills to have - the best offense is a good defense. This is very true in DF. Just be careful of your (c)ombat preferences - dodging is great, unless you are on a single tile wide gap next to a sheer cliff/edge.

- When assigning skill points, toughness, endurance, willpower, and agility are the most important, then strength, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense. Social awareness helps you to get a few more followers, but its not worth the cost. In a nutshell: Willpower, toughness. endurance and agility will keep you alive long enough to use your strength.
ALSO - invest in reading and swimming to novice level at least - they are invaluable skills.

- don't light campfires indoors - they DO NOT go out.

- If an enemy is too strong, or too fast, try and aim for their legs/feet with a sharp weapon - cutting of or breaking a limb will cause them to fall, thus losing their agility, allowing you to make far more hits on them than they can make on you. If you have something relatively large and sharp to throw, thats a safer but unreliable option. Serrated discs are GREAT for this.

- Taking companions will make ambushes roughly equally sized in numbers to your group. Unless you are a necromancer, this can be dangerous, as if you lose too many men, the weight of your foes will mince the rest of your followers and then, of course, you. Don't be afraid to run in this situation. It can be a clunky, lag-inducing, way to have big skirmishes/little battles though.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 11:48:05 pm »

Last time I had a fortress manufacture adamantine masterwork armor and weapons that I put in a lead bin in a rabbit hole near the surface. I started my adventurer and walked all the way to the area where my fort was and found the lead bin and equipped the armor! Then I think I walked all the way down and tried to explore the underworld and got lost.

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 03:10:18 am »

-If you'd like to become immortal, drink their blood when it gets all over you.
You should drink blood that is mixed with water, not just blood. ( By the way, why? )

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 05:25:07 pm »

You should drink blood that is mixed with water, not just blood. ( By the way, why? )

Drinking their blood works just fine. Dwarves in fort mode won't drink blood though, so there you'll have to contaminate a well or water source. :)

Also, a great tip for new adveturers trying to avoid being killed by bogeymen is to sleep on beaches, where bogeymen won't spawn.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 06:25:20 pm »

Drinking their blood works just fine. Dwarves in fort mode won't drink blood though, so there you'll have to contaminate a well or water source. :)

Also, a great tip for new adveturers trying to avoid being killed by bogeymen is to sleep on beaches, where bogeymen won't spawn.

Mountains work as well. Or you could just find one companion to drag along, since bogeymen only chase those traveling alone. Though rivers will definitely slow you down if your companions cannot swim, and more enemies may spawn during an ambush, scaling with the amount of companions you have.

I'm not sure where the idea of mixing blood with water in adventure mode came from. But if I understand correctly, the thought is that it will be more likely to infect you that way when compared to just drinking blood. I have doubts about the truthfulness of that though.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »

Mixed blood water can't freeze or was that blood and vomit?
It was something to do with crossing mountains on foot that you needed it for.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

shevtsov200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2014, 05:53:24 am »

I'm not sure where the idea of mixing blood with water in adventure mode came from. But if I understand correctly, the thought is that it will be more likely to infect you that way when compared to just drinking blood. I have doubts about the truthfulness of that though.
I tried to drink just blood many times without any effect, I drunk, wait, drunk again, but this didn't help. Then I tried to drink blood with water and became a vampire. Are you sure that it isn't like that?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 07:22:50 am »

I just tried pure blood with my saved adventure. It works fine. Not seeing any effect may be caused by several things:

1) You are not mortal. I.e. you're already werebeast/necromancer/husk/...
2) You have great desease resistance. It can prevent vampirisation a few times.
3) You actually became a vampire, but couldn't register it. Easily recognizable effects include: disappearance of hunger/thirst/pain, movement reducement.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 07:51:37 am »

There are three skills that are absolutely essential to survival:

-Wrestling
-Throwing
-Ambusher

1. Wrestling

The skill most dependent on luck to train, the best starting animals to train on are Wild Boars, Emus, Attacking Wolves, etc.  Just use a free hand to grab the face of the animal, and auto gouge out its eyes until it bleeds to death.  Repeat until you've reached legendary and beyond, and until you've maxed out your stats.

2. Throwing

Simply grab rocks or sand or whatever's on the ground and throw on the tile you're standing on.  Will go faster if you have a backpack, allowing you to have more than two at a time.

3. Ambusher

To sneak, just sneak.  Then walk.  In any direction.  Seriously, you can start biting off body parts while sneaking, and your enemy won't even notice you, if you have above legendary level in ambusher.

These are what I call the cardinal skills, the ones that remove any and all risk from combat, ensuring longer life.  If you're enemy's a master swordsman, spearmaster, or just a plain crossbowman, grab the weapon out of their hand.  This becomes superfluous if you can knock their head off with a rock, or stab them through the heart without them even noticing. Combine with vampirism and full plate armor for maximum invincibility. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 10:21:04 am »

There are three skills that are absolutely essential to survival:

-Wrestling
-Throwing
-Ambusher

I disagree with the "absolutely essential" part. Novice peasants may opt for them, true. But any seasoned adventurer has far more lethal and interesting skills to use. Strangling/water-braining enemies while being practically invisible becomes boring very quickly.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »

1. Wrestling

The skill most dependent on luck to train, the best starting animals to train on are Wild Boars, Emus, Attacking Wolves, etc.  Just use a free hand to grab the face of the animal, and auto gouge out its eyes until it bleeds to death.  Repeat until you've reached legendary and beyond, and until you've maxed out your stats.
Find some small, not dangerous animal, wresle his throad by your arm/hand and start chocking him (wresling move), when strangle him (wresling move avaible after chocking). Now change your combat preference to Close Combat and press direction where is your oponent. Your hero will be strugling him to death in every turn when you try going in his dirrection to suffocate your target. Look out for creatures who don't breathe.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 09:25:24 pm »

Flame's Quick and Easy Guide to Becoming a Weaponmaster

Use these stats and skills. Swordsman can be replaced with anything, and elf was only chosen to show everything in a single screen.

Then follow these simple steps:
1. Find a vampire. Hire said vampire as a companion.
2. Travel to a town. Accuse the vampire in the middle of the market, causing him/her to be torn to bits by peasants.
3. Gather some of the vampire's blood.
4. Go into the keep and get one (1) helm, one (1) breastplate or mail shirt, one (1) pair of greaves, two (2) gauntlets, and two (2) high or low boots. Any metal or quality is fine, just make sure you have all the pieces. If you find a weapon or shield that is a better quality than the ones you have, take it.
5. Empty your waterskin and drop your vampire blood on the ground. Drink the water mixed with blood. You are now a vampire. Your powers include not needing sleep, food, drink, or air, not being attacked by undead, and the ability to drain the unconscious of blood. Don't worry, you don't have to drink blood, but you can if you want.
6. Travel to the river in the town and locate some sewer bandits.
7. Auto-attack said sewer bandits. You can go underwater to fight them because of your vampiric powers.
8. Kill all the sewer bandits in the town. Be sure to explore the whole sewer system so you don't miss any.
9. Check your Z screen. You are now a weaponmaster. Congratulations!

My system only has a 10% failure rate, and it should take about 2 days, depending on how long it takes to find a vampire or reach a city.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 03:40:07 pm by TheFlame52 »

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 11:46:14 am »

Seems to me like saying "become a vampire" is not a particularly helpful bit of advice for new adventure mode players.

- Lairs are useful for storing loot to heavy for you to carry with you. The items do not scatter as they normally do when sites are abandoned.
- Carrying a crutch can 'just in case', can mean the difference between survival or death if you ever lose the ability to stand in a fight.
- Don't let enemies surround you if you can help it, try to keep as few enemies in combat range of you at any time, with multiple enemies you can easily be knocked over and trapped on the ground. So keep moving while you fight, and pay attention to surroundings - don't get trapped!
- camping outside can be dangerous alone, I always do this at the side of a river, with campfires surrounding me on one side, and the river on the other - so if I'm woken rudely, I simply slip into the river, swim across and escape if need be.

- I prefer to stash my stuff in human keeps and fortresses; it also doesn't scatter, it tends to be easier for my new adventurers to access, and I can peruse the other fortress junk while I'm there.

- Crutches are good to have, but be wary of this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6032

- Avoiding fighting multiple enemies is very important; stick and move!

- Unless you're prepared to fight boogeymen, never camp outside alone unless you're (as has been mentioned) in a mountain or beach biome. For this reason, it's not a bad idea to plan long trips along mountain ranges or coastlines. As boogeymen teleport, a river will not help you.
          - If you must travel at night alone, it is a far better bet to sneak all the way rather than fast travel. Boogeymen can still appear, but if your ambusher is high enough they may not spot you. In that case, I'd recommend waiting (using '.') until morning; while you can keep moving, boogeymen teleport, so if you sneak past them they will reappear again ahead of you, potentially in a better position to spot you.

-Steel weaponry can be found in an unmodded game on the bodies of zombie dwarves, or sometimes live kobolds if you're not playing a Dwarf. Best bet is to locate a Necromancer tower and lure the zombies out, and then kill them off one by one and only loot the Dwarf corpses. This requires a Legendary status in every defensive skill as they can swarm you very fast, since zombies can charge.
-Spears have the best critical hit bonus. And I think they can be wielded one handed? Not sure about that one, since you can always remove shields from your backpack and that automatically assigns them to one of your hands.

-Steel weaponry (and dwarven-sized armor, steel or otherwise) can also be found in the lairs of werebeasts/night creatures, with the former being much easier to kill than a massive horde of zombies.

- Spears are indeed one-handed; pikes are two-handed.

- The catacombs underneath the fort at the centre of a town have a HUGE amount of free metal armour, metal weapons, and other mish mash. They do have bandits and outcasts too though, so be careful! But the bandits and outcasts are not usually near where you enter, they are normally deep in the catacombs. Honestly, taking gear from the catacombs, and from fortresses is all I do; I've never bothered to buy and sell in shops.

Yeah, I almost never interact with the economy. Fortress/keeps are a great place for gear when starting out, and once you can take on bandits the dungeons/catacombs are full of stuff. In my expierence, fortress/keep stuff can be of higher quality than what you find in a dungeon. Bandits and outcasts are usually not nearby when you enter, but can be, and will mess you up if you haven't trained with that plate armor you're wearing.

Other stuff:
- As the Armor User skill increases, your armor becomes easier to carry, increasing you speed (very important). At a high enough level (master?) armor no longer weighs anything at all.
          - Their are power leveling techniques, both in this thread and elsewhere, if you're looking to rapidly boost your skills. The easiest one to my mind, provided you have a decent ambush skill, a shield and a full set of armor, is to find some animal - nothing too dangerous, maybe badger or below (crabs, owls, rabbits are especially harmless). Set combat preferences ('C') to close combat (so you don't counterstrike with a weapon), stand ground (so you don't jump away, as the animal will probably run once their is separation) and stand ground (ditto). Get next to the target animal, reveal yourself, and wait ('.') a LOT. Maybe learn how to make a simple macro from the wiki. Watch the animal helplessly batter your armor-plated form, smack your shield, or somehow miss you despite your not moving; your skills will skyrocket.

- I find at least some degree of ambusher useful, especially early on, although I tend to not use it once I'm powerful enough.

- For the novice, make a swordsman. It's the easiest, generally speaking.

-If engaging a large group of bandits, goblins or even koboloids, I would recommend two stratagems:
          - If you are confident you can take the force in front of you, make a beeline for any archers and take them out asap - either by killing, disarming with wrestling or just lopping off hands. The rest should be easy enough to handle at that point.
          - If you don't think you can take them, either because of numbers or being caught offguard in an ambush, run. All you companions being massacred? Too bad, run. Provided you're not really slow, and you have companions to preform a valiant rearguard, you should be able to high-tail it out of their.

- Also, if you're just starting, take your time. Learn the game. Have several adventurers die. It's horrifically complicated, after all.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »

Why isn't becoming a vampire a good idea? I can't live without it anymore. Especially the whole "no breathing" part. And vampires are bugged, you can still gain physical attributes after becoming one.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 02:59:07 pm »

Why isn't becoming a vampire a good idea? I can't live without it anymore. Especially the whole "no breathing" part. And vampires are bugged, you can still gain physical attributes after becoming one.
Freaking speed loss (as with werebeasts) because of a sudden muscle growth. From 2040 to 1290 in one moment. Yeah. Not in this life, thank you.

Also, nopain & nobreath are only moderately useful. If something breaks you badly enough for your super(race) willpower to cease working - you won't survive it anyway. Legendary swimmers can travel for a long distances without drowning. Most severs has a pocket or two of air and most notable animalmen inhabit them just near the river. All other parts of severs are equal to a wasted time. So, it leads us to the only other nobreath bonus: you won't suffocate with torn spine. Very moderately useful.

Pages: 1 [2] 3