Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: STARBOLD - A Modded Starbound Adventure  (Read 6413 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
STARBOLD - A Modded Starbound Adventure
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:37:10 pm »

Starbound is still in Beta, but there's no reason we can't have fun playing around with some mods! There's a lot of really impressive content and mechanics mods out there that add a lot to the game. Not the least of which are MadTulip's customizable ships and lander modules, and the quite awesome Kobold Mod. In true DF fashion, this will be an Ironman Survival Adventure with Permadeath enforced. Help me and Hanaleegus survive, or it's going to be a mighty short adventure!

z Z z Z z
Z z Z z Z z Z z Z
z Z z Z z Z z Z z

ANNOUNCEMENT: AUTOPILOT NOW ENTERING ALPHA SECTOR SPACE...

...h'wuzza?

...ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROLS SWITCHING TO DAY CYCLE. ENGAGING INTERIOR LIGHTING.

So bright! Is someone there?

ERROR: PLEASE REPEAT YOUR LAST COMMAND.

Are... are you a big thing? Or a hungry thing? If you are, I would taste bad!

...and how is it so bright, when the sky still has stars?

QUESTION: DID YOU ASK "HOW BRIGHT ARE THOSE STARS?"

ANSWER: THE NEAREST STARS, THE ALPHA MEGREZ MAJORIS SYSTEM, ARE A TRINARY SYSTEM DOMINATED BY A MIDDLE-AGED YELLOW MAIN SEQUENCE STAR. COMBINED, THEY HAVE AN AVERAGE LUMINOUS POWER OF 4.12×1028lm.

Huh?

QUESTION: WOULD YOU LIKE INFORMATION ABOUT NEARBY PLANETS?

What's a planet?

ANSWER: THE PLANETS OF THE ALPHA MEGREZ MAJORIS SYSTEM CONTAIN OXYGENATED ATMOSPHERE, CARBONIC LIFE, AND A WIDE RANGE OF TEMPERATURES AND HABITABLE ZONES. DID YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS?

Well... hmm. Are you a talking house? And are we flying through the night sky?

I'm sorry, talking house. My name's Hanaleegus. You were sitting on Lookout Hill near our camp... I was going there for lookout duty when I found you. It was so cold out, but you were nice and warm. I didn't mean to fall asleep on your floor, but I guess I did. And now we're flying through the sky, and I don't know where we're going!

QUESTION: DID YOU ASK "WHERE ARE WE GOING?"

Oh, yes! Yes I did! Please tell me.

ANSWER: SHUTTLE ENGAGING AUTOMATED RETURN PROTOCOL TO MINIKNOG SCIENCE FACILITY, HAVING COMPLETED SURVEY OF SELECT EPSILON SECTOR WORLDS. WE WILL SOON ARRIVE AND SEEK FURTHER ORDERS FROM THE MINIKNOG.

I don't get it...

QUESTION: DID YOU SAY "I'D LIKE TO GET FIT?"

No, I just want to know how to get back home!

ANSWER: WE ARE ESTABLISHING GEOSYNCHRONOUS ORBIT OVER HOME COORDINATES NOW. PLEASE REMAIN SEATED DURING THE LANDING PROCEDURE.

This doesn't look like home... the trees are all weird and purple-red!

ANNOUNCEMENT: WE HAVE ARRIVED ON THE FORESTED MOON OF ALPHA MEGREZ MAJORIS III. LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS DISENGAGED, LOADING DOOR UNLOCKED. PLEASE RETRIEVE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT FROM THE SHIP LOCKER, AND REPORT TO MINIKNOG BASE.

Retrieve equipment? Oh, you mean take shiny things!

Okay, maybe it is not so bad after all! The flying metal house talked about stars, and then gave me some nice things. Now I can take them back to the camp, and everything will be alright!

Er... but which way do I go to get back to camp? I'm still lost! And hungry! D:

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: STARBOLD - A Modded Starbound Adventure
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:53:23 pm »

This is adorable. PTW.

What do?

> Go say hello to nice tasty birdy thing.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

> That bird looks deliciou- err, dangerous! Shoot it!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:11:53 pm »

Wait, is... Is that a lander?

> Go to the right. While the bird may look tasty, that semi-camouflaged dragon might be a worry. And those overgrown snails don't look too fast.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:29:44 pm »

That dragon thing might be a cousin.
>Say hello to it. Perhaps you are compatible and can make many eggs to populate this place.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:42:52 pm »

>go left
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:26 pm »

Solifuge, this is the most adorable kobold in space that I've seen.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »

PTW
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:00:33 am »

Pee Tee Dub

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 01:44:33 am »

>go left
> Go say hello to nice tasty birdy thing.

z Z z Z z...

THE NEXT AFTERNOON:

I need wood to build a fire, so I can cook all the meat I got yesterday... but I don't have any good tools! All the Talking House gave me was... lets see...

...some rope, a blue club, and a yellow horseshoe. I could climb up the tree with a rope and get some branches, maybe. I don't know what the blue club is, or this yellow horseshoe... though I think it has shiny little green and red jewels on it? Maybe I can trade the jewels for some wood, if I can find a village. Just.... gotta.... pry this green one out, and...

*CHIME* Hello there, friend-o!

Eeep! Talking horseshoe! Talking horseshoe!

I'm not a horseshoe, chum. I'm the Matter Manipulator v1.7, and I'm all booted up and ready to get to work!

M-matter manipulator? But what's a "matter"?

I don't know, what's a'matter with you? Zing! But seriously, I can break down all kinds of material, reconstruct it somewhere else, and even recombine it in new ways. It's real swell!

So, you can break things? How about this tree?

Oh yeah! Cellulose can be tough, but I can crack it if you've got the time. Why not give it a shot?

Okay, if you're sure...

Haha *bzzt* yeah! This is fun! And also probably voiding my warranty! I can *bzzt* tell you're going to... *bzzt* ABORT *bzzt* ...you're going to need some background info before... *bzzt* GRANULATED MULE BRIGADE *bzzt* ...you're going to... *bzzt* GOING GOING *bzzt* Haha, please stop!

You're a very strange horseshoe, Matter Manipulator. I will call you Matt for short.

Thank you! In all my years of work, I have never -once- been given a nickname. I will treasure it, you little grey luddite. Now, if you'd like, I can walk you through how to use me to chop down that tree. It's easy! Just point me at the base, pull the trigger, and voila!

Oh, like this?

Excellent work! And remember, I work for all kinds of things! Dirt, stone, metal, you name it! If you're all done for now, though, I should probably update all my drivers. Still feeling a bit fragmented after that tutorial, haha! To wake me up again, just press that green button. TTFN!

Okay, thanks Matt! Now to go make a campfire before it gets dark again.

That was really good food, Matt! Are you sure you don't want any?

No need! I've got spiffy little microfusion battery that will keep me running for at -least- a few thousand years, give or take a hundred or so.

Wow, a thousand years is a lot of years! Kobolds like me only live for... what's more than 10 but less than a hundred?

Does 57.0127 work?

Maybe... I dunno! But I wonder if the Talking House will live as long as you can?

Talking House? What's that?

It's that big metal box. It flew me here from my home, the day before I met you. It was really smart too, but it wasn't very nice.

Oh, that? That's not a house, that's an Apex Scout Shuttle! The AI was never very friendly to me either, but she steers a mean autopilot. Really fuel-efficient too! A real professional gal, that one.

Okay, those words are probably true. It... she hasn't talked to me in a while, though. Do you think think she maybe fell asleep after we landed on the ground? Or maybe she died!

I'll bet the Shuttle just went into Sleep Mode. Probably just waiting for orders before it'll fly anywhere else.

Huh! Maybe tomorrow I can wake it up, and ask it to fly me back home.

I'm not feeling very sleepy yet, though. Maybe we can take a walk to see what's on the other side of the Shuttle Lady?

Sure thing! But make sure to turn on that blue flashlight of yours. The night life may be fun, but it's also pretty wild! And in this case it might kill you, haha!

Flashlight? Oh, this thing...

A torch with cold fire? It's bright too, like a little moon. I will call it my Moon Stick!

Wow, the Moon Stick is getting even brighter! And everything's turning orange! Maybe it is actually a Sun Stick!

You sure do like giving things humorously inaccurate names, chum! I have to agree that it is getting awfully bright, though. Wonder if someone put the microfusion battery in the wrong way... that would explain that hissing sound that keeps getting louder!

Oh... no, that's coming from above us?

Sky rocks! Falling sky rocks!

Oh boy, up close and personal with a real live meteor shower. And big ones too! What are the odds!

It sure would be bad news if any of these hit you. Good thing you're small and quick, right? I'm in good hands, haha!

But... but... but...

Oh.

Aww, nuts, that's too bad. But cheer up, I think that's the last of the meteors!

Cheer up? How can I cheer up? The Flying Metal House... the Shuttle Lady... she got exploded!

She sure did!

Then how come you're happy right now?! She EXPLODED!

Aww, I'm incapable of expressing any emotion but cheerfulness, silly. I'm functionally sociopathic, haha!

D: D: D:

Well, that's enough excitement for one evening. I think it's time to hit the sack!

But Matt, we don't got a sack... don't have a house anymore! Just a box with holes, and a bunch of metal bits...

If it's any consolation, shuttles like those really are a dime a dozen. We can find another one. I'm sure of it!

...really?

Yeah! So lets get you to bed. We've got a long day ahead of us!

Okay...

Now you're thinking! The ground's already broken in, so I'll make short work of this dirt heap!

There we go. Hang a little painting on the wall, and call it home sweet home!

Actually, if it's okay, I think I am going to just fall asleep forever now. Or maybe I'll wake up, and I'll be back home, and it will all have just been a dream...

Aww, keep your chin up, there, sport. Just think about all the wonderful things we can do in the morning!

I guess so...

Everything will be right as rain tomorrow, you'll see. Good night, little grey whatsit.

G'night, Matt.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 01:56:17 am »

Aww.
>Ask ship if its hungry. Also if its ok after the sky rocks.

...Does it still work as a ship if lander takes damage, though?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 04:47:51 am »

Adorable. PTW.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:37 am »

>Make cave bigger. Find a big rock or something else to close the opening so nothing takes your home and eats you while you sleep.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 04:27:44 pm »

1: Its a Starbound LP which is Community Driven (to a point)
2: Its got Cutebolds in it.

POST TO MoFOING WATCH!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 08:14:03 pm »

This is, quite possibly, the best LP ever.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: [1] 2