Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216023 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:49 am »

Do person sized automanipulators use standard manipulator batteries?
Do ship sized automanipulators use some larger version of that battery?

Well, sorta. The use more of the driving substance at least.

I was giving you the choice out of gameplay reasons, since it would probably be endothermic.
I know it was for gameplay stuff, but I'm trying to get at least a semblance of believable chem for this.
Why do you think it should be endothermic, by the way? Any particular reason? Or just because you decided it should be condensation polymerization?

You could try to counteract it with another reaction, but thats gonna really slow down the reaction due to the temp difference retarding the reaction and the mixing making it harder for the chemicals to "Meet" each other in the fluid, if that makes sense.

If it's an endothermic reaction, then supplying heat should speed up the process, no? Why would the temp difference slow down the reaction?
How about this: we make it a condensation polymerization that gives of a bit of gaseous by-product (to help with the foaming).
Monomers are in solution A. In solution B, we add a chemical which reacts with something in A, this is exothermic. Thereby, if the concentrations are chosen good enough, once you mix A and B it'll take a short time before the exothermic reaction supplies enough heat for the endothermic polymerization to get going fast (so it doesn't start 'foaming' and expanding too fast). It doesn't really matter you need to mix them first, since heat is transferred relatively quickly, so once the initial mixing gives some heat and gets the initial crosslinking going, there will be equilibrium between the linking and expanding foam, and the exothermic 'jump-starter'. After jump-starting the linking, the secondary exothermic reaction (which will occur slower, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue) keeps the polymerization going, and keeps the temp of the whole thing at non-damaging levels.

If you really think it should have that high/low temp downside for gameplay reasons though, just say so, so we don't waste time on something you wouldn't allow anyway.

I feel like I answered these before for some reason...some sort of odd deja vu. Hmm...oh well. silly brain connections getting recursive on me.

No reason really, beyond the fact that, as a general rule, the formation of bonds tends to take energy while the breaking of them tends to release it. That's why most epoxies and resins and similar catalyzed solidifying reactions release heat.  Figured it would more then likely hold true here.

The problem would be supplying enough heat. True, it would speed the formation of bonds but too much energy could cause those bonds to break. I'm probably thinking of too great of temps though, never mind me.

That all seems fine to me, although "reaction supplies enough heat for the endothermic polymerization to get going fast" makes me wonder how this stuff would react in the open vacuum of space or on a very hot planet or something. But it's too early for me to even start considering that stuff. We'll just say that will work.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2014, 08:59:01 am »

Do automanipulators use up that material they require to function?  Must they be reloaded?

Why do the normal manipulator batteries output such a strong electrical charge?

Nah. They're self sustaining at that size.

Who said they do?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2014, 09:04:22 am »

Hey piecewise,

If i were to somehow get my hands on that eternally burning piece of rebar that came into existence during the gratesplosion...
And if i somehow invented or discovered an infinite water source or a highly efficient steam re-condenser...

Could i make a steam turbine for jacks APC that would replace its need for fuel?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:06:02 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2014, 09:14:11 am »

Hey piecewise,

If i were to somehow get my hands on that eternally burning piece of rebar that came into existence during the gratesplosion...
And if i somehow invented or discovered an infinite water source or a highly efficient steam re-condenser...

Could i make a steam turbine for jacks APC that would replace its need for fuel?
Good luck, it's surrounded by a impenetrable forcefield.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 14, 2014, 09:19:39 am »

Hey piecewise,

Good luck, it's surrounded by a impenetrable forcefield.
I dont need to the water to get in, i just need the heat to get out.

In any case we know light can escape, so we can put that sucker in a mini dyson sphere at least.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23:23 am »

You'd think an eternal steam engine would be slightly inferior to a vaguely nuclear standard power generator. At least in power output, if not in longevity.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2014, 09:39:21 am »

Alright, how difficult is something like this?

I'm looking to make a suit of personal armor with similar internals to a MKIII suit (MKII suit under a powered exo). However, I want no rockets or "wings", and want to use those weight savings to layer on whatever metal/material would commonly be used for armor in the ER universe (which would be steel, I guess). What sort of protection would this suit provide, approx. how many tokens would it take to make, and how difficult would it be to manufacture?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 14, 2014, 09:51:44 am »

Token-wise, you're pretty much looking at buying a Mk3, selling back the rocket pods for a few extra token, and... hard to say how much the armor would be. Battleship plate (which, as far as I gather, is some manner of rolled steel composite) is probably the most common armor, and I think you can get enough to completely armor up a Mk3 for some 8 token. Maybe 6. Plus 13 (minus maybe 3 for the pods) for the Mk3, and more if you don't have the wherewithal to assemble it all yourself. So at best, 16 token raw materials, plus work. PW will correct me, since I'm probably wrong, but that's what it'll look like if you want to DIY a MkIV like Milno did. Of course, Milno kept the rocket pods, and added an Avatar cloak on top, so his is better anyway. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 14, 2014, 09:52:59 am »

Alright, how difficult is something like this?

I'm looking to make a suit of personal armor with similar internals to a MKIII suit (MKII suit under a powered exo). However, I want no rockets or "wings", and want to use those weight savings to layer on whatever metal/material would commonly be used for armor in the ER universe (which would be steel, I guess). What sort of protection would this suit provide, approx. how many tokens would it take to make, and how difficult would it be to manufacture?

Basically, a Mk. III without the rocket pods but with some armor?

Go for battlesuit plate, it's very cost effective. Milno did the same as you are doing before, but he kept his rocket pods. Maybe try to find where he did that with a thread search, or ask caellath himself.

Also, ninja'd. Hard.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:27 am »

You'd think an eternal steam engine would be slightly inferior to a vaguely nuclear standard power generator. At least in power output, if not in longevity.

Yeah but a self sustaining steam engine translates into mechanical force better/faster, and looks cooler, and doesnt irradiate the crap out of you when someone shoots the reactor, and is environmentally friendly, and has lots of shiny pipes, and can use steam pressure to fire harpoons, and is awesome, and is cheaper, and can propel you in a vacuum, and is retro, and is train-like, and im gonna stop now...

I think the eternal steam engine when considered in a power plant scenario might be able to pump out more juice then its nuclear counterpart at the same scale, i mean steam engines dont need all the safety devices, decontamination rooms, computer consoles, radiation shielding or bigass concrete chimneys that are integral to safe operation and maintenance of a nuclear reactor of that magnitude.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:14 am »

I fully support using space magic powered steampunk technology. Especially because it uses artifacts that I recovered.

And don't bother modifying a mk3 to be less mobile and better armoured. Just buy a mining exosuit, like Auron has. It's pretty much what you're looking for.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 14, 2014, 10:30:53 am »

I don't see anything like that on the Armory page.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:30 am »

There is lots that is available if you ask.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 14, 2014, 10:41:05 am »

The mining exosuit was actually recovered on mission so it has no armory listing.

I actually have a spare civilian exosuit in my possession, although its from a shipyard not a mine so it may not be as armored...

I suppose i could hold onto it for you if it meets your standards, it will probably only resell for 3 or 4 tokens and im pretty sure the mk II costs 5 so youd be looking at 8-9 tokens for both which equates to a standard unarmored exosuit.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 127