Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216134 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #435 on: May 20, 2014, 01:58:22 pm »

@syv: the only way you'll pull this off is by either spending a lot of tokens/RU on it, or getting extremely lucky. There's a canyon's worth of distance between 'it could be done' and actually doing it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 20, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »

@syv: the only way you'll pull this off is by either spending a lot of tokens/RU on it, or getting extremely lucky. There's a canyon's worth of distance between 'it could be done' and actually doing it.

Perhaps.  My intention is to have two or so sods practice with the cheaper, more common equipment pieces, like gauss rifles and handlasers, for a few years.  Overall, on Heph, that should be pretty cheap and easy.

You do have a point though.  Before PW said what he just said, I had been under the impression that he really didn't care about AUX being OP; I assumed just getting a single AUX:5 on a simple three-sentence action would be sufficient, and the rest of what I was doing was insurance/self-enforced balance.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 20, 2014, 04:16:38 pm »

Does the mind rot cost one token per shot, or one token per magazine of ten?

Test the round vs a naked person, mk1, mk2, mk3, and civic defenders longcoat.
Also test how many it takes to bring down a t-rex.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 20, 2014, 04:39:21 pm »

((This is as soon as the briefing is over, just getting started on this in case we don't have a lot of time before mission go))

Start a project called 'Thor' Gauss mortar. Start with a metal plate, add a simple swivel mechanism, then add in succession 3 different tubes of 60mm, 80mm, and 100mm, and add a bipod to each to stabilize the firing angle.

Attach gauss coils and a generator(stepped down to ensure the whole thing doesn't fly apart upon firing) and three buttons-one to fire the thing, one to airburst the shell, and one to manually disarm the shell. Save the 60mm mortar as Thor-A, the 80mm mortar as Thor-B, and the 100mm mortar as Thor-C.

Create an appropriately sized standard frag shell for each different mortar, and test how far each of them can fire a shell downrange. test how powerful a transmitter I'd need to airburst each shell at max range, test firing parameters and practice leading targets with the shell(mortar shells tend to have a lot of hangtime). Also create high explosive and incendiary shells and practice with those.

Test the weight of each different prototype and see how strong I'd need to be to carry them(ie, how man-portable they are).

Finally, open up a sub-project involving a shell housing a kinetic amp and a shaped charge, appropriately sized to each prototype, and name this 'Mjolnir VHE shell'.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 20, 2014, 04:55:32 pm »

-snip-[/b]

You really did take a page from my creation of the launcher, didn't you? Though I'll point out that the Thor-A is only 10mm higher calibre than the... I think I'll call it the Ekrixi Grenade Launcher.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2014, 05:08:05 pm »

-snip-[/b]

You really did take a page from my creation of the launcher, didn't you? Though I'll point out that the Thor-A is only 10mm higher calibre than the... I think I'll call it the Ekrixi Grenade Launcher.

Yeah, but 60mm stands the highest chance I'll actually be able to lug this thing around, though I can go to an in-between caliber and put it at 70mm. Remember, I'd have to likely increase the size of the buttplate and bipods as barrel diameter rises to insure proper firing stability
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2014, 05:18:20 pm »

-snip-

Yeah, but 60mm stands the highest chance I'll actually be able to lug this thing around, though I can go to an in-between caliber and put it at 70mm. Remember, I'd have to likely increase the size of the buttplate and bipods as barrel diameter rises to insure proper firing stability

Just saying there's not much of a gap between your lightest mortar design and my grenade launcher design, that's all. Personally, were I designing, I would start at 80mm, then 100mm, then 120mm, though the last might begin to push then envelope of what could be called 'man-portable', without a whole fireteam.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2014, 05:28:50 pm »

Yeah, I do realize that. When I came up with this I actually was going to start with those sizes you mentioned, but then I remembered I'd actually need to carry this thing around. Though, if it turns out I can carry the 80mm version, I'll redo the sizes to those you mention(or something close to it, like a 70mm, a 90mm, and a 110mm).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:30:30 pm by tryrar »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 21, 2014, 12:33:18 am »

Well, for size reference, at least, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is the M252 81mm mortar, with some soldiers around it providing some scale (and operating it). Looks to me like it might be possible to be single man-portable - though I doubt he'd be carrying much else, and would have fairly limited ammunition... and some trouble operating it alone, since it looks like that model uses one person to aim while the other fires it - that's not a terribly hard restriction to get around, though.

That, of course, is reality - PW doesn't do things like being weighed down by equipment, really. Or awkward equipment bulk (we can carry LESHO rifles solo, after all). Unless he can use it as an excuse for something like failing to climb a rope or whatever.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #444 on: May 21, 2014, 11:32:19 am »

First, this thing would be expensive as fuck.

Second, with automanips of that size, you' get one shot, at best, and even that would probably overload them.

Three, You talk about the electromagnetic amp for the purposes of self protection, but I fail to see how it will protect you from being pulverized into subatomic shrapnel when you jerk your body forward at significant values of c, or just c.

Fourth, ignoring all the others, even if they all worked, you're accelerating to c and then back to 0 in HOW MANY METERS?! I'm no physicist  but I'm pretty sure that much energy would kill you  and everyone around you for several miles with just the shockwave.
3. I'm assuming the amps can accelerate your entire body equally. Since the speed of your head remains the same relative to the speed of your torso, you won't loose your head, even if your speed relative to the ground changes.

4. Well, if the electromagnetic automanipulator works as I intend it to, the air between the starting point and end point will be left undisturbed. However, you're right, the air that is displaced at your endpoint would be going insanely fast, thus creating a big shockwave. So that will make it only be usable in space.

Anyway, the above mean that this will find only very limited use in space or giant robot combat, so I'm abandoning the project. If anyone feels like making teleporting giant robots or spaceships, feel free to use the above as you like.

I liked your jenga metaphor by the way. My thoughts exactly.

Edit: New project: ESDS (Electrified Surface Defense System) Battlesuit Power Plug

Check how the battlesuit's ESDS works. Would it be possible to modify it to allow it to charge the battlesuit's capacitors if the battlesuit is hit by an external electrical current, perhaps by fitting a few heavy duty transformers in it?

While I'm at it, see how the battlesuit normally charges and if it could accept power I took from a wall socket.

While I'm at it, see if I could chain the powersource of the battlesuit with that of my MK2's and my rechargeable mining laser with a few simple plugs and transformers.

Recharge the batteries via being electrocuted? As in, if someone whacks you with a tesla sabre you want to hear the Wall-e battery recharge noise? Doable, but easily damaged since you'll need a mesh of wire leading into the battery and a bunch of capacitors and such to control the flow and amount and not bust the battery, Since the electrical discharge runs on a separate battery, rather then the suit's main generator.

Battlesuit uses a generator much like the normal suits. Just a bigger one.

In order to make sure it empties the tubing it's gonna need a secondary source of pressure; an tank of propellent. Thats about it, really.
Yeah, figured as much. Sure, add a small secondary tank with pressured gas.

Also, ok if we just put the dissolvant in a spray can? And is the dissolvant damaging to skin, and if yes, to what extent?

Ahhhhhh it will be fine. It will be fine. Don't worry. It will just dissolve the skin a liiiittle bit. Better then a bullet. Or a lot of bullets.

((This is as soon as the briefing is over, just getting started on this in case we don't have a lot of time before mission go))

Start a project called 'Thor' Gauss mortar. Start with a metal plate, add a simple swivel mechanism, then add in succession 3 different tubes of 60mm, 80mm, and 100mm, and add a bipod to each to stabilize the firing angle.

Attach gauss coils and a generator(stepped down to ensure the whole thing doesn't fly apart upon firing) and three buttons-one to fire the thing, one to airburst the shell, and one to manually disarm the shell. Save the 60mm mortar as Thor-A, the 80mm mortar as Thor-B, and the 100mm mortar as Thor-C.

Create an appropriately sized standard frag shell for each different mortar, and test how far each of them can fire a shell downrange. test how powerful a transmitter I'd need to airburst each shell at max range, test firing parameters and practice leading targets with the shell(mortar shells tend to have a lot of hangtime). Also create high explosive and incendiary shells and practice with those.

Test the weight of each different prototype and see how strong I'd need to be to carry them(ie, how man-portable they are).

Finally, open up a sub-project involving a shell housing a kinetic amp and a shaped charge, appropriately sized to each prototype, and name this 'Mjolnir VHE shell'.

I really don't see anything here that wouldn't work. Although, I would point out that ARM/HMRC rarely gets the chance to use long range, high arc parabolic weapons. Just a heads up before you spend like 10 tokens on this and never get the chance to shoot it, except as an adhoc gauss cannon.

Well, for size reference, at least, this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is the M252 81mm mortar, with some soldiers around it providing some scale (and operating it). Looks to me like it might be possible to be single man-portable - though I doubt he'd be carrying much else, and would have fairly limited ammunition... and some trouble operating it alone, since it looks like that model uses one person to aim while the other fires it - that's not a terribly hard restriction to get around, though.

That, of course, is reality - PW doesn't do things like being weighed down by equipment, really. Or awkward equipment bulk (we can carry LESHO rifles solo, after all). Unless he can use it as an excuse for something like failing to climb a rope or whatever.
Reality only comes into play when I can use it to fuck you over.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 21, 2014, 11:47:35 am »

Yeah, I know that mortars don't get to be used often, but I'm on the mission to the south pole so unless I need to actually get inside the thing we are digging up I won't have a problem not using this :D

So, if nothing here isn't something I can't carry by myself, ramp this up to 80mm, 100mm, and 120mm and see if I can still carry the 120mm. Afterwards, test out the Mjolnir shell. What is it's blast radius? What affect does the amp have?

Next, options for the incendiary shell. What substances can I use to achieve the maximum carnage with burning death?

Finally, cost breakdown of all the mortars, shells, and materials. Would this be able to be prototyped?

For simplicity, I want to get the biggest one I can carry prototyped. If that's the 120mm mortar, cool. If not, the 100mm
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:18:49 pm by tryrar »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 21, 2014, 12:04:39 pm »

Next, options for the incendiary shell. What substances can I use to achieve the maximum carnage with burning death?

Namite. It's very good, burns very hot (like a super napalm).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #447 on: May 21, 2014, 01:01:31 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking that the main limitation of the Rainbow Cannon is energy consumption (and possibly overheating, haven't tried firing for that long).

So if I were to be able to gain power easily from anywhere I want (by simply ripping power cables off a wall and attaching them on the battlesuit's armour for example) I could fire for much longer without having to wait to recharge the battlesuit's capacitors, at the cost of becoming stationary, essentially trading mobility for firepower.
That's why I wanted to know if I could modify the battlesuit's Electrified Surface Defence System. So that this power transfer could happen automatically, simply by attaching the wires on it without me having to get outside the battlesuit and try to connect it with the power manually.
The ability to gain power by teammates (or enemies) hitting me with a tesla saber or one of Sean's electrolasers would be an added bonus, although it probably wouldn't see much use.

Would it be possible to do the above (charging the battlesuit's main capacitor) by inserting those capacitors you mentioned and perhaps a few variable transformers or diodes and linking the above to the battlesuit's main capacitor?
Maybe add a sensor and a physical switch so that a powersource can be tested before linking it to the suit, so as to prevent damage in case it's too powerful or too weak?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:03:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2014, 01:46:42 pm »

Namite. It's very good, burns very hot (like a super napalm).

Fluorine is pretty good for carnage. Especially bound up with Chlorine or Oxygen (I have used Chlorine Trifluoride, but Dioxygen Difluoride would also work (though it is unstable - it'll slowly decompose into Oxygen Difluoride, which is still pretty nasty)).

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »

I know about those OOC, but Michael wouldn't really have knowledge of them IC :P. I'm leaning towards the Namite myself, since I wouldn't really need specialized equipment for loading an extremely nasty chem shell(unless you guys have come up with some equipment on the Sword I can use)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 127