Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216053 times)

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »

Sent Smurf a PM asking them to explain what the Auto Repair kit is exactly once they come online.

once they come online.

WE ARE THE SMURF

Weirdness aside, the auto repair kit was originally a box full of robotic arms that was supposed to repair minor hull/track/turret damage on the Stag tank, so that it could be fixed fairly quickly if it got disabled. Not sure how that'll translate over to a battlesuit.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 14, 2014, 04:01:25 pm »

Sent Smurf a PM asking them to explain what the Auto Repair kit is exactly once they come online.

once they come online.

WE ARE THE SMURF

Weirdness aside, the auto repair kit was originally a box full of robotic arms that was supposed to repair minor hull/track/turret damage on the Stag tank, so that it could be fixed fairly quickly if it got disabled. Not sure how that'll translate over to a battlesuit.
Body damage?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #647 on: June 14, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »

Has the hexagonal stuff been analysed and reproduced yet? Or is it something that has to be done on Hephaestus or on the Sword's R&D?

Regardless of the above, as an experiment, see if I could design an armour plate similar to the ones used on spaceships, but replacing the anti-laser layer with a sand layer and the anti-gauss layer with an energy absorbent hex layer.
Compare with normal space armour in terms of durability and price, if possible.

Is there any black goo danger with using living sand armour or have we developed any ways to counteract that?
If yes, is there any danger of that happening on Hephaestus due to the stuff we used during boarding?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 14, 2014, 04:36:19 pm »

I'd point out that I got yelled at for it (admittedly, not by Tavik), but that got scrubbed by the Toad.

Ach, let the troubles of the past stay in the past. Instead, let us focus on new and exciting ways to murder enemies in the future! That's much more fun.

@tavik: out of curiosity, now that we have proof the suit could be made smaller for no downside, are you going to adjust it accordingly, or leave it as it is? And if the second, why exactly? Just wondering, because a bigger suit that doesn't have extra things it can do just means you're giving your enemies a bigger target.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2014, 04:48:36 pm »

Going to keep it as it is.

Why? Because it's meant to be in between a avatar and battlesuit in size. But cheaper-ish than a avatar.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 14, 2014, 04:56:03 pm »

Why? Because it's meant to be in between a avatar and battlesuit in size. But cheaper-ish than a avatar.

I understand what you are trying to do. But why make it bigger if that serves no purpose? What tactical advantage would you get just from 'being bigger'? I mean, in real life they to make their tanks and such as low as possible, so they won't get hit.

I just don't see how being larger, in and of itself, would help you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:30:21 pm by Radio Controlled »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 14, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »

It would also screw with versatility. You know how Miyamoto and battlesuit users can go on all sorts of missions? Neither do I, because anything indoor or involving the tight corridors of ships or whatever is out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »

I'm making two posts, one in Tinker, one in Heph.  I figured it makes sense in-universe, considering we're supposed to have massive amounts of time thanks to the jumps.  If that's not okay, ignore this post, and just do the Heph one.

Anyways, about the powered gloves, and making them safe:  I'm not certain what it's called, but there's a method to monitor the integrity of a conductive surface by having electricity flow into it from one side, and measuring it at the other.  It can detect holes and other abnormalities in the material.

I want to set up something like that, and as long as it doesn't detect any abnormalities, it transmits a 'safe' signal.  If it stops transmitting, the power is cut.  To make sure it stays working, at all times have a very tiny amount of electricity flowing, just enough to measure the integrity, but not enough to damage a person.  Also, make sure it's possible to override the shutdown, although make sure it gives a BIG warning.

Additionally, see if I can make a similar power transmission surface over the glove's knuckles, so that a person can punch rather than grab.

Lastly, I want to know if the crystal rifle can penetrate milnoplate/longcoats when fired in automatic mode.  And can it penetrate synthflesh sufficiently to damage the braincase?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 15, 2014, 12:23:40 am »

I understand what you are trying to do. But why make it bigger if that serves no purpose? What tactical advantage would you get just from 'being bigger'? I mean, in real life they to make their tanks and such as low as possible, so they won't get hit.

I just don't see how being larger, in and of itself, would help you.

It would also be questioned (and to those watching who would prefer to perceive me saying that as a threat - you know who you are - you may as well hold your tongue) by Simus. She doesn't care about 'because it's meant to be that way'. She'll see that it could easily be made smaller with no reduction to tactical value, and indeed, a net tactical gain, and not applying that will lose points with her.

Keep in mind - she's extremely utilitarian, and is not unbiased.

Might want to query the GM as to whether it would work at all.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 12:26:43 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #654 on: June 16, 2014, 08:46:38 am »

Has the hexagonal stuff been analysed and reproduced yet? Or is it something that has to be done on Hephaestus or on the Sword's R&D?

Regardless of the above, as an experiment, see if I could design an armour plate similar to the ones used on spaceships, but replacing the anti-laser layer with a sand layer and the anti-gauss layer with an energy absorbent hex layer.
Compare with normal space armour in terms of durability and price, if possible.

Is there any black goo danger with using living sand armour or have we developed any ways to counteract that?
If yes, is there any danger of that happening on Hephaestus due to the stuff we used during boarding?

It's not been reproduced, though there has been some research done on it. It's gonna come under the responsibility of the HEP boys now.

This new version seems much much more capable, though at the current time, creating it will be more expensive since the facilities for mass production are not in place.

As long as you use the artificial stuff the lab boys made, no. It might grow bigger than you want and jam joints or something, but it won't go full gray goo.

I'm making two posts, one in Tinker, one in Heph.  I figured it makes sense in-universe, considering we're supposed to have massive amounts of time thanks to the jumps.  If that's not okay, ignore this post, and just do the Heph one.

Anyways, about the powered gloves, and making them safe:  I'm not certain what it's called, but there's a method to monitor the integrity of a conductive surface by having electricity flow into it from one side, and measuring it at the other.  It can detect holes and other abnormalities in the material.

I want to set up something like that, and as long as it doesn't detect any abnormalities, it transmits a 'safe' signal.  If it stops transmitting, the power is cut.  To make sure it stays working, at all times have a very tiny amount of electricity flowing, just enough to measure the integrity, but not enough to damage a person.  Also, make sure it's possible to override the shutdown, although make sure it gives a BIG warning.

Additionally, see if I can make a similar power transmission surface over the glove's knuckles, so that a person can punch rather than grab.

Lastly, I want to know if the crystal rifle can penetrate milnoplate/longcoats when fired in automatic mode.  And can it penetrate synthflesh sufficiently to damage the braincase?

I don't know why you'd need to post in both? Just post it all in the heph thread.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #655 on: June 16, 2014, 09:28:56 am »

Ah, so the fact that even "dead" sand slowly grows means that the extra sand will have to be periodically "shaven off" so that the armour doesn't burst from the inside?

If yes, could I add some sort of pressure release tube in each armour plate that will take the extra sand and store it in sacks?
Then, if the ship comes under attack, it can release the extra sand it has gathered over time while moving, like an octopus with its ink. It'll be like an anti-laser shield-cloud that also partially blocks sight.
Probably usable only when you know you're boned and want to try running away or if you absolutely must dodge or if the enemy has laser superiority but not gauss superiority. Still, it's free, so why not find a use for it besides repairing armour? (Because, as history has shown us, space battles tend to end messily and with many destroyed ships and not many damaged ships, so you'll probably won't need to repair armour much).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:30:57 am by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #656 on: June 18, 2014, 10:52:19 am »

Ah, so the fact that even "dead" sand slowly grows means that the extra sand will have to be periodically "shaven off" so that the armour doesn't burst from the inside?

If yes, could I add some sort of pressure release tube in each armour plate that will take the extra sand and store it in sacks?
Then, if the ship comes under attack, it can release the extra sand it has gathered over time while moving, like an octopus with its ink. It'll be like an anti-laser shield-cloud that also partially blocks sight.
Probably usable only when you know you're boned and want to try running away or if you absolutely must dodge or if the enemy has laser superiority but not gauss superiority. Still, it's free, so why not find a use for it besides repairing armour? (Because, as history has shown us, space battles tend to end messily and with many destroyed ships and not many damaged ships, so you'll probably won't need to repair armour much).

I assumed you wanted the live sand, but suspended in paint and then painted on, so that when the laser hits, it would burn away the covering paint and expose the sand, letting it absorb the energy. OR something like that. Dead sand won't produce any more sand, nor will it absorb light and energy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #657 on: June 18, 2014, 11:04:10 am »

So to recap, just to make sure I didn't get confused or misunderstood something:

Dead sand cannot absorb light/other forms of energy or reproduce. It's no better than a normal stone (in solid form) or sand (in sand form) in terms of what it can do.

Live sand engineered by the Sword's R&D will very slowly reproduce and will absorb light and other forms of energy. Its rate of reproduction is slow enough to allow it to be safely disposed of and avoid any grey goo scenarios. When this type of sand forms solid objects, it dies.

Normal live sand can do the same as the one our scientists made, only it's much more dangerous due to its rate of reproduction but can also absorb more energy. When this type of sand forms solid objects, it doesn't die.

Correct?

EDIT: While I'm at it, see if a Battlesuit has any sort of external wiring, something to interface with its computer systems from the outside. Something like some sort of technician's diagnostic/debug cable port.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:47:09 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:48 pm »

Does the UWM still use wheeled/tracked vehicles in combat situations? If yes, for what roles/purposes? Only support stuff like APC's, or also main battle tanks or IFV's? And if yes, how do they look like? What armaments, what armor?

Same question for fighters, bombers and gunships.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #659 on: June 20, 2014, 11:43:16 am »

So to recap, just to make sure I didn't get confused or misunderstood something:

Dead sand cannot absorb light/other forms of energy or reproduce. It's no better than a normal stone (in solid form) or sand (in sand form) in terms of what it can do.

Live sand engineered by the Sword's R&D will very slowly reproduce and will absorb light and other forms of energy. Its rate of reproduction is slow enough to allow it to be safely disposed of and avoid any grey goo scenarios. When this type of sand forms solid objects, it dies.

Normal live sand can do the same as the one our scientists made, only it's much more dangerous due to its rate of reproduction but can also absorb more energy. When this type of sand forms solid objects, it doesn't die.

Correct?

EDIT: While I'm at it, see if a Battlesuit has any sort of external wiring, something to interface with its computer systems from the outside. Something like some sort of technician's diagnostic/debug cable port.

Yes
yes
yes, except for the last part. It dies too, but there was so much of it in the abyss it didn't matter.

It sorta does, but it's under an armored panel.

Does the UWM still use wheeled/tracked vehicles in combat situations? If yes, for what roles/purposes? Only support stuff like APC's, or also main battle tanks or IFV's? And if yes, how do they look like? What armaments, what armor?

Same question for fighters, bombers and gunships.

Rarely, but they do exist. More then likely you'll see them with local governments, ones that aren't using rockets and hard suits and giant synthflesh things for almost everything.

Same, basically.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 127