Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216077 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #720 on: August 23, 2014, 12:12:26 am »

Project:Excalibur

Goal:Investigate ways to reduce or eliminate the suicidal kickback on Gauss Cannons

1:Spawn a Gauss Cannon. Examine it in action to determine the cause of the kickback

Edit: Scratch that. I have a better idea for something that might be very useful. Take a gauss cannon frame, the meta-material rails from the Lesho, some auto-stabilization systems for reducing recoil,and as many charging circuits as possible to keep fire rate up, while keeping the strength requirement at around 10. The idea here is to make essentially a man-portable HMG/autocannon for when you absolutely need to destroy incoming groups of armored targets(and anything else for that matter, really). I'm using rails to simplify things a bit, and the longer the rail, the more the muzzle velocity. This allows me to balance armor piercing with fire rate.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:44:14 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #721 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12:42 am »

Two of you eh?

Project name: Monorapier

Monorazor can't stab. This reduces its effective reach, prevents its use against flat planes like walls, doors, or shields, and limits its use as a bayonet.

Take the thinnest possible rod (or strand) of mythril that will remain rigid. make it 1 meter long.
Give it a handle. Attach a monorazor's vibrator in the handle.
Does this work? How well does it cut compared to a monorazor? How expensive?

(Mythril's that extremely strong, extremely expensive metal. This design only calls for extremely small amounts so it might be economically viable.)

Not a bad idea. Basically a Mythril Needle being vibrated at high speed eh?  Hmm. I think it would work, however attempting to use it against thick armor might be dangerous. After all, if it is easier to vibrate the handle then the needle then thats what will happen, so if it gets stuck into the armor then you might have a hard time retrieving it. You might honestly be good with just the spike in most occasions.

Project:Excalibur

Goal:Investigate ways to reduce or eliminate the suicidal kickback on Gauss Cannons

1:Spawn a Gauss Cannon. Examine it in action to determine the cause of the kickback

Edit: Scratch that. I have a better idea for something that might be very useful. Take a gauss cannon frame, the meta-material rails from the Lesho, some auto-stabilization systems for reducing recoil,and as many charging circuits as possible to keep fire rate up, while keeping the strength requirement at around 10. The idea here is to make essentially a man-portable HMG/autocannon for when you absolutely need to destroy incoming groups of armored targets(and anything else for that matter, really). I'm using rails to simplify things a bit, and the longer the rail, the more the muzzle velocity. This allows me to balance armor piercing with fire rate.

Hmm. Well to be honest something like that would probably be exoskeleton portable only. Mostly for balance reasons. Also, Feyri's already basically got one of these, though hers is rotary. Should take a look at it when she gets back.

If she gets back.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: August 25, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »

Exoskeleton portable is fine, since I was thinking of grabbing one anyways. I also had plans for a vehicle mount mod for it, so it works out. Oh, and thanks for the tip about Feyri's rotary cannon, I'll look on how it works later and maybe mod my design.

Anyways, until then, continue with the current design. Spawn an exoskeleton for me, then spawn one of the guns as per specifications and do some test fires. See if it works, for one, then see what sort of fire rate I can get from this(as a note, this is envisioned to be belt-fed). Then check armor piercing(assuming a barrel diameter of 40mm, and throwing the slugs at around mach 7) by spawning a battlesuit and seeing how many slugs it takes to punch through the armor.

As a side project, bring up my Mjolnir shell, size it for my new cannon, and see how many kinamps I can sandwich on the front and still be cost-effective. Test its armor shattering capabilities(as assumed with a direct hit), and price a belt of 10, 50, and 100 of these.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:30:59 pm by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »

Give it a strap like a wii remote. Should solve that problem.
Estimate token cost.

design a 30cm version for roughly 1/3 the price. Ideal for bayonet use.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 25, 2014, 04:58:50 pm »

Attempt to adapt an RPG to fire 1/8 kiloton charges with fins and the engine part of the original ammo spot-welded on.

How much does this cost?

How far does it fire horizontally? What about a ballistic arc?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:59 pm »

Einsteinian Roulette:  Where someone things welding stuff to a nuclear bomb is a good idea.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 26, 2014, 03:35:42 am »

...I'm thinking someone's underestimating just how big a nuclear explosion is. For a small rocket that flies maybe a quarter mile at the very most(and that's likely being extremely generous), there's no way you can really put yourself outside the blast effect radius, leading to deleterious effects to your continued existence.

For comparison, you're talking about something equivalent to the W54 warhead launched from the Davy Crockett recoil-less rifle system-and that fired from at least a couple miles away, and relied on extreme radiation hazard for effect due to just how inaccurate it was. A nuclear RPG would be well within the blast radius of even the smallest warhead.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:43:35 am by tryrar »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #727 on: August 26, 2014, 04:39:55 am »

Actually, assuming the missile had the same capabilities as an RPG-29V rocket, you could get a maximum range of 2km with a ballistic trajectory and no wind.
An 1/8 kiloton charge is immediately lethal in a range of approximately 400 metres (not accounting for radiation poisoning).
So you could fire it and escape unharmed. (Whether or not it is wise to do so is another story.)
You could even fit the missile with some sort of computer+camera to help guide it on target and make sure it doesn't detonate while in range of the user.

However, while this might be a cheap launchable nuclear weapon, it is clearly not as good as a gauss cannon or LESHO rifle or similar nuke launching systems.

Something like those remote controlled nuke drones Sean used might be more useful, more controllable and just as cheap, the only downside being that it is not as fast and could be more easily shot by the enemy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #728 on: August 27, 2014, 10:42:43 am »

Exoskeleton portable is fine, since I was thinking of grabbing one anyways. I also had plans for a vehicle mount mod for it, so it works out. Oh, and thanks for the tip about Feyri's rotary cannon, I'll look on how it works later and maybe mod my design.

Anyways, until then, continue with the current design. Spawn an exoskeleton for me, then spawn one of the guns as per specifications and do some test fires. See if it works, for one, then see what sort of fire rate I can get from this(as a note, this is envisioned to be belt-fed). Then check armor piercing(assuming a barrel diameter of 40mm, and throwing the slugs at around mach 7) by spawning a battlesuit and seeing how many slugs it takes to punch through the armor.

As a side project, bring up my Mjolnir shell, size it for my new cannon, and see how many kinamps I can sandwich on the front and still be cost-effective. Test its armor shattering capabilities(as assumed with a direct hit), and price a belt of 10, 50, and 100 of these.

It works, however there is a problem with using it to fire repeatedly very quickly; the rails heat up and start to distort and lose conductivity, meaning the shots get weaker the longer it fires and if fired too long, it will break all together. It's quite powerful (It's a rapid fire LESHO for god sake) but it is also very expensive. Even the Mjolnir shell of yours will cost several tokens each, meaning that this massive, expensive gun will be firing massive expensive shells at high speed.

Give it a strap like a wii remote. Should solve that problem.
Estimate token cost.

design a 30cm version for roughly 1/3 the price. Ideal for bayonet use.

That would just tear the strap. Or the hand, whichever came first.  Probably better to include some sort of remote "Vibrate off" button.

Lets see, how long was this thing? 1 meter? And tapered, I assume. You're not gonna like the price. The bayonet would cost 5.

Attempt to adapt an RPG to fire 1/8 kiloton charges with fins and the engine part of the original ammo spot-welded on.

How much does this cost?

How far does it fire horizontally? What about a ballistic arc?

I think you might be underestimating the force of that sort of thing

You'd be much better off with a mortar. One that could fire at least a mile or so. Because while an RPG could theoretically get that kind of distance, assuming the right conditions, chances are that you're rarely going to be in the sort of situation where you'll get such a nice, unobstructed shot at a target like that.

But the general idea here works just fine and if you wanna go through with it there's nothing thats going to stop you aside from costs and teammate fear.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 27, 2014, 11:09:38 am »

Hmm, so barrel cooling is a bit of an issue then. Bring up options for better air cooling, water cooling jackets, and the like. Worst case, disable full auto and restrict this to burst-fire to not overheat the rails. Also, scrap using Mjolnir shells with this for now, since I need to be able to actually buy ammo for this :P.

Speaking of ammo, price me the cost of a standard 200 round belt of just solid 40mm slugs. Then, create some specialized AP ammo consisting of half-sized, fin-stabilized shaped penetrators with discarding sabots(point being to concentrate ALL the force one a smaller area), and test those versus standard slugs, then price them. Next, create a HE shell, then one that has a small explosion that releases cluster munitions for an antipersonnel round, and test their effectiveness versus softer targets, and prices for a belt of both. Then, create a chem-incindiary shell using chlorine tetrafloride, price a belt of those, and test them to insure no premature detonations.

Next, create an autofeeding ammo box to put the belts in, and design a way to attach them to the gun. The ammo boxes should have a magnetic attachment system to store onto the exoskeleton until needed to swap out.

Finally, Finalize project name as the Jackhammer Autocannon, get overall cost estimates, and have Steve review this and see if this is something that might be worth sending to Hephaestus for review, and also see if I might be able to get a prototype for this.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:23:05 am by tryrar »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 27, 2014, 11:53:16 am »

Ok, off button. ::)
Design a 20cm version for 3 tokens.
Vr test to determine the best way of using this thing. How well can it cut? How well can it stab?
Can it get through battlesuit/milnoplate? Can it get through synthflesh?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant a
« Reply #731 on: August 27, 2014, 05:10:06 pm »

Well, accordng to Nukemap, a 1/8 (0.125) kilotonne blast has a 5PSI overpressure at ~230m, which is guaranteed injury and likely fatality for unarmored people, not counting the heat wave. Extrapolating for armored space suit idiots, and this thing should be safe* at five hundred meters, assuming you duck behind something that is real tough. 1/8 kiloton is 80 times weaker than the Hiroshima warhead, after all. I like the idea of having it as a mortar as well, I guess.

Are mark 1s radiation-proof?
*By nuclear-armed acid-shooting lunatic expendable mass-murder space magician standards
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:18:42 pm by Dorsidwarf »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 27, 2014, 05:23:12 pm »

By a fortuitous coincidence, I do have a design for a mortar already set to go, if you want me to fax it over to your char.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant a
« Reply #733 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:17 pm »

Are mark 1s radiation-proof?

They're a bit better than standing in the open, but not a lot.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 28, 2014, 02:10:45 am »

By a fortuitous coincidence, I do have a design for a mortar already set to go, if you want me to fax it over to your char.

Can it handle side-plate-sized projectiles though? Even the 1/8ths aren't tiny.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 127