Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216182 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #735 on: August 28, 2014, 02:25:02 am »

((If you're tinkering it, why not just go with 1/16th (HGC default ammo)? They're 3 for 3 tokens, and already have some sort of 'detonate on impact' mechanism, rather than that standard bomb interface.
Oh, and they're smaller than football-sized, if I understand the HGC calibre correctly.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 28, 2014, 02:37:08 am »

Only problem with that is that the shell's blast is halved again, but the deadly radiation is still at ~500m.

And at that point, I might as well just use the RPG due to small shell size and blast.

Also, that shll is equivalent to only 62 tonnes of TNT. At this point I have to seriously ask how the hell do you make it go nuclear?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:01 am »

By slamming a subcritical nuclear mass against a hard surface at 3400 meters per second?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 28, 2014, 03:35:53 am »

((It's just the critical mass of whatever isotope UWM/ARM are using is, well, small compared to what we use in modern day bombs. I think.
Oh, and if the online models I used are at least somewhat correct (they seem to be conflicting a bit), the significantly affected area (read: fireball and highest-pressure air blast radii) isn't that much reduced by halving the yield. And then, tactically speaking, at this scale of engagement, two half-yield bombs are better than one full-yield more often than not.
(You know, in cases when it's worth a 1/8kt explosion over 1/16kt, it's probably worth 1kt, and then it's worth a manipulator overload.)
And the lethal radiation: Enemy Sods probably wouldn't care much (just a little :P ), we mostly have Sword's medical facilities to deal with it, and civilians... well, they're called 'civilian casualties' for a reason, right?

The problem with conventional explosives is that we have little data on them, apart from that UWM preferred small nukes to them at this scale. Unless it is one more case of their ineptness or somehow now we have better explosives, they probably still have a point here.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 28, 2014, 04:15:45 am »

We could upgrade our nuclear arsenal to clean fusion. We already tested the concept out with the missiles on the Party Wagon, although they were re-mounted to the Southern Cross, and we never saw their specific effects with how the space battle went.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 28, 2014, 07:15:59 am »

By a fortuitous coincidence, I do have a design for a mortar already set to go, if you want me to fax it over to your char.

Can it handle side-plate-sized projectiles though? Even the 1/8ths aren't tiny.

Well, I had the tube at a barrel diameter 0f 120mm, so I can scale up if necessary.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #741 on: August 29, 2014, 12:37:39 pm »

Hmm, so barrel cooling is a bit of an issue then. Bring up options for better air cooling, water cooling jackets, and the like. Worst case, disable full auto and restrict this to burst-fire to not overheat the rails. Also, scrap using Mjolnir shells with this for now, since I need to be able to actually buy ammo for this :P.

Speaking of ammo, price me the cost of a standard 200 round belt of just solid 40mm slugs. Then, create some specialized AP ammo consisting of half-sized, fin-stabilized shaped penetrators with discarding sabots(point being to concentrate ALL the force one a smaller area), and test those versus standard slugs, then price them. Next, create a HE shell, then one that has a small explosion that releases cluster munitions for an antipersonnel round, and test their effectiveness versus softer targets, and prices for a belt of both. Then, create a chem-incindiary shell using chlorine tetrafloride, price a belt of those, and test them to insure no premature detonations.

Next, create an autofeeding ammo box to put the belts in, and design a way to attach them to the gun. The ammo boxes should have a magnetic attachment system to store onto the exoskeleton until needed to swap out.

Finally, Finalize project name as the Jackhammer Autocannon, get overall cost estimates, and have Steve review this and see if this is something that might be worth sending to Hephaestus for review, and also see if I might be able to get a prototype for this.

Cooling via coolant circulation works under most circumstances.

Standard 40mm with 200 rounds?! Ok, look at this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those are 40mm rounds. That big box there holds 32 shots. You'd need 6 full boxes and 1 quarter full box to hold all that. It would be like 5 feet tall and two wide and weigh several hundred pounds. That might be a bit much for anyone not in an exoskeleton, and even then it's gonna slow em down.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 29, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »

Wait... when you say 40 mm are you meaning 40mm wide?

If so are gauss rifle rounds also measured in width? Because if so then my piledriver calculations are way off.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 29, 2014, 12:48:31 pm »

Those are 40mm rounds. That big box there holds 32 shots. You'd need 6 full boxes and 1 quarter full box to hold all that. It would be like 5 feet tall and two wide and weigh several hundred pounds. That might be a bit much for anyone not in an exoskeleton, and even then it's gonna slow em down.
((Technically, those are 40mm caliber grenades, along with the gunpowder to launch them, whereas gauss rounds would be more like 40mm spheres. Each of those 40mm grenades looks like it occupies as much space as three 40mm spheres, so you'd only need just over two full boxes of them, perhaps exactly two with an efficient packing method.

Won't do much to change the weight issue though.

Also, U_P: when a gun's projectile size is mentioned, the foremost parameter is the caliber, or the diameter of the projectile. Calling it "width" is a little wrong, but effectively that's what it is.))
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:51:24 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 29, 2014, 12:58:16 pm »

Yep... my calculations...completely wrong...

I always thought bullet caliber was length.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 29, 2014, 01:01:11 pm »

...I was thinking the rounds would be smaller overall without needing propellent, but that's a good illustration of me underestimating sizes here(I dunno how I thought soda can-sized rounds could reasonably fit 200 in a box). Ok, standard would be whatever amount that can fit in a box of reasonable size, preferably as close to 50 rounds as possible. Also, what the heck is that in the picture, some sort of squad-portable 40mm cannon?(looks baddass btw)

Still going to need ammo prices and overall weapon costs, as well as whether I can get this prototyped.

Edit:Run some tests for the people at hep so they don't need to ask for the data:

1) Baseline test of weapon against guy in mk 1

2) Test against robosod

3)Test against synthflesh sod

4) Test against a guy in a mk III and milnoplate

5)Full performance test against a battlesuit

6)Just for completeness, see if it can hurt a AOW at all

Finally, spawn a completed Jackhammer, and load up a full combat scenario: A couple squads and I(with the Jackhammer) in a war-torn city(lots of rubble, ruined buildings, and such) holding a hardened, fortified point blocking progress deeper into the city versus waves of increasingly difficult enemies, each wave containing at least one hard target of some description. The squads aiding me have a mix of weapons costing 10 or less credits, and some have exoskeletons with milnoplate. Ammo is assumed to be infinite for the purpose of the test, but time for swapping mags is still needed. (Since I want to run this manually, this can happen here or the On-ship thread, whichever is more convenient for you)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:39:41 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:02 pm »

Ok, off button. ::)
Design a 20cm version for 3 tokens.
Vr test to determine the best way of using this thing. How well can it cut? How well can it stab?
Can it get through battlesuit/milnoplate? Can it get through synthflesh?

Then send the design to Heph for prototyping if they like it. Then exit VR.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #747 on: August 29, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »

Ok, off button. ::)
Vr test to determine the best way of using this thing. How well can it cut? How well can it stab?
Can it get through battlesuit/milnoplate? Can it get through synthflesh?

Then send the design to Heph for prototyping if they like it. Then exit VR.
Fuck, missed you.
The best way to use it is definitely to stab. Cutting is possible but not very effective.
It sort of "sinks" through thicker stuff, taking a second or two of pressure to get in. But it pierces pretty well, even through milno and battle suit plate.
Consider it sent. Might want to alert simus of it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 29, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »

Yep... my calculations...completely wrong...

I always thought bullet caliber was length.

That doesn't really change much if the projectile is a sphere though. :P

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 29, 2014, 02:40:20 pm »

It sort of "sinks" through thicker stuff, taking a second or two of pressure to get in. But it pierces pretty well, even through milno and battle suit plate.

How thick is Milno plate? How thick is full battlesuit armor at the front?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 127