Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 216094 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #1095 on: April 12, 2015, 01:41:02 pm »

@Radio

I don't think 1 token per shot is too little.  The Raduga costs 11, one more than this, and has infinite ammo; It will always be better for anything that doesn't require a super powerful single shot.  In fact, I think it would still be kinda inferior to the others.  If you only ever kill three battlesuits with it, you've saved one token by not having to buy a PSL.  And you've lost all the other advantages of a PSL.

I think it would actually be better to price it around six tokens, and have it be a burner; It's something cheap that people can buy 'just in case' when a PSL or PEW is way outside their price range.  It would also work well as sod equipment.

(Note that this is all from a 'balance' standpoint; IIRC, PW has said that battlesuits are near immune to lasers.)

I've considered a burner, but I decided to first ask for a regular one that works like the others. I'll think about it, maybe ask pw what the options/specs for a burner would be sometime in OOC. Or maybe just ask if we could lower the price.

Also, I think you might be overestimating the PSL's effectiveness against a battlesuit. Mostly because he himself said a sterile tinker question might not really translate 1:1 to in-game effectiveness.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 12, 2015, 02:09:44 pm »

Using that argument, any weapon we've designed to work against a BS isn't guaranteed to work.  It doesn't invalidate any given item in particular.

Besides, even if it always takes three shots to kill a BS--three more than the sterile tinker question suggested--A PSL kills ten BSs per 4 tokens, and starts with ten potential dead BSs.  The LB kills 4 BSs per 4 tokens, and starts with only one potential dead BS.  And the LB is still only three tokens cheaper.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 12, 2015, 02:18:11 pm »

I don't think any "laser" should be gauged by its effectiveness against a Battlesuit. A laserbazooka - or a blaster cannon, as I call it - is still a laser, and a Battlesuit is very resistant against them, unlike the kinetic/electric combo of the PSL, or the kinetic/raw energy blast of the PEW.

If the blaster cannon can one-shot a Battlesuit reliably with its 3-token shot, it is going to wreck unholy amounts of hell on any non-laser-resistant target, that both the PSL and the PEW will struggle to match.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:46 pm »

Using that argument, any weapon we've designed to work against a BS isn't guaranteed to work.  It doesn't invalidate any given item in particular.
Besides, even if it always takes three shots to kill a BS--three more than the sterile tinker question suggested--A PSL kills ten BSs per 4 tokens, and starts with ten potential dead BSs.  The LB kills 4 BSs per 4 tokens, and starts with only one potential dead BS.  And the LB is still only three tokens cheaper.

True, I just bring it up because you keep championing the PSL as the most OP gun ever.

In the end, I might just lower power until 1 token ammo, but then the whole thing might not be worth it anymore. Hmm.

I don't think any "laser" should be gauged by its effectiveness against a Battlesuit. A laserbazooka - or a blaster cannon, as I call it - is still a laser, and a Battlesuit is very resistant against them, unlike the kinetic/electric combo of the PSL, or the kinetic/raw energy blast of the PEW.

If the blaster cannon can one-shot a Battlesuit reliably with its 3-token shot, it is going to wreck unholy amounts of hell on any non-laser-resistant target, that both the PSL and the PEW will struggle to match.

True, but those things wouldn't need 3 darn tokens per shot of it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 12, 2015, 02:39:37 pm »

True, but those things wouldn't need 3 darn tokens per shot of it.
Consider the amount of laser power needed, to take out a mech that can withstand a nuke, and is specifically resistant to lasers, in one shot. Consider what will happen if that energy gets deposited into something softer than that.

A PSL gets 23 shots per 3 tokens. That's 23 small craters in rock, and enough firepower to destroy a small mechanized platoon, or significantly damage a single large building.
A PEW gets 2 shots per 3 tokens. It will make two fairly small, but very long holes in any regular terrain, enough to damage a number of buildings in a line, or sink a pair of very unlucky navy ships.

The blaster cannon would be delivering a small nuke's worth of thermal energy into a small area, instantaneously. Which would proceed to cause an explosion, because that energy has to go somewhere. It would utterly destroy any surface building. It could level a city block with one shot, in the right circumstances. It could destroy a small army with that as well, if heat insulation weren't so ubiquitous, though the resulting shockwave should be plenty destructive on its own.

Don't sell it short, Radio. The blaster cannon can be a very destructive weapon as designed.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:41:24 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: April 12, 2015, 02:43:45 pm »

All true, Sean. Really, we're just trying to find a sweet spot so that it's usable and 'affordable', but not OP for it's cost.

I think it might be a good idea regardless to try and lower ammo cost, even if that lowers damage. If only cause i don't think anyone will ever buy a weapon that costs 3 tokens per shot (then again, pw was ok with allowing 5 to 10 lower powered shots, which might offset that again).

Maybe it's time to ask around in the potential customer base.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: April 12, 2015, 06:18:15 pm »

@Shap
Anyway, the hover board, while seeming quite silly, is a fairly decent item.  I'd like to see it replace the jump rocket pack since it's basically just completely better for only one more token.  Also, I think it should probably require at least +0 auxiliary, like the other flying rocket devices.  I don't see why a balancing board with eight rockets is any easier to operate than a jetpack with two.

Edit: I don't have the logs from when I was designing it, but we are discussing it on IRC right now. http://mibpaste.com/SgnpOE Piecewise also mentioned why it doesn't use Aux in this one.

You may want to copy IRC chatlog of your discussions in future, since Piecewise might forget. It's best to have something to jog his memory in case that happens.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: April 12, 2015, 09:23:33 pm »

I wish to basical.y attempt to replace the laser emitter in a laser rifle with the magnetometer from a microwave so as to create one that emits microwaves, I then wish to make it variable so it can act like this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System. And be deadly and horrifically burn and boil the flesh off of things. If I can't afford the microwave, I will attempt to bargain with others, as for the laser rifle I am already buying one from the armory
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: April 12, 2015, 09:44:19 pm »

Edit: Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 09:59:04 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: April 12, 2015, 11:58:55 pm »

I wish to basical.y attempt to replace the laser emitter in a laser rifle with the magnetometer from a microwave so as to create one that emits microwaves, I then wish to make it variable so it can act like this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System. And be deadly and horrifically burn and boil the flesh off of things. If I can't afford the microwave, I will attempt to bargain with others, as for the laser rifle I am already buying one from the armory

Already have it in the for of a Free Electron Laser that has a microwave setting :P(it's the Spektr FYI)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 13, 2015, 12:03:44 am »

The Spektr is a bit too wide-spectrum (hehe), and is geared to be a precision weapon for combat.

What Spazyak wants there is a magnetron (not magnetometer :P) hooked up to a laser rifle's power system, as a sort of a microwave shotgun. It'd be far cheaper and easier to handle than a Spektr, but it would lack precision, and therefore range. It could still cause burns though, if only at very short range. But it'd also need a heavy-duty magnetron to do serious damage, something from a microwave is unlikely to be able to handle the requisite amount of power.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 13, 2015, 06:42:56 am »

The Spektr is a bit too wide-spectrum (hehe), and is geared to be a precision weapon for combat.

What Spazyak wants there is a magnetron (not magnetometer :P) hooked up to a laser rifle's power system, as a sort of a microwave shotgun. It'd be far cheaper and easier to handle than a Spektr, but it would lack precision, and therefore range. It could still cause burns though, if only at very short range. But it'd also need a heavy-duty magnetron to do serious damage, something from a microwave is unlikely to be able to handle the requisite amount of power.
Still be a fun device. A laser shotgun
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 13, 2015, 07:49:09 am »

We have laser shotguns - intensity to max and cohesion to minimum on the standard laser rifle, settings any user can adjust.

What you're proposing is a microwave blunderbuss. Extremely short range, but anything that's not protected (and hopefully, said protection isn't metallic) is roasting. On the outside, at least - microwaves (on the frequencies that induce heating) don't go through things very well.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 13, 2015, 08:22:58 am »

We have laser shotguns - intensity to max and cohesion to minimum on the standard laser rifle, settings any user can adjust.

What you're proposing is a microwave blunderbuss. Extremely short range, but anything that's not protected (and hopefully, said protection isn't metallic) is roasting. On the outside, at least - microwaves (on the frequencies that induce heating) don't go through things very well.

Bonus points if it looks like a blunderbuss.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:24 am »

Bonus points if it looks like a blunderbuss.
Bonus Bonus points if you have to manually load the bludarite shells through the barrel.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 127