Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215989 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #1170 on: June 11, 2015, 10:35:41 am »

Hey pw, now that manips changed and only need the human brain in order to function, does that mean we can now give manips to sods or robots to use? If not, why not?

This.
As long as they have a human brain they're carrying with them, yes.

Though none of them are currently trained to use them.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 11, 2015, 10:42:46 am »

Well folks, that was it, good show. We can now have an army of soldiers that can instantly snipe any armor they come across. Probably destroys the concept behind the blazooka as well. Oh well, we had a good run.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1172 on: June 11, 2015, 10:56:22 am »

Well folks, that was it, good show. We can now have an army of soldiers that can instantly snipe any armor they come across. Probably destroys the concept behind the blazooka as well. Oh well, we had a good run.
Well, do keep in mind that they're not very smart or creative, so about the best we can do is train them to do the same sort of actions repeatedly. Sort of like they're just carrying a dozen or so automanips that have distinct functions.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: June 11, 2015, 10:59:35 am »

Well, do keep in mind that they're not very smart or creative, so about the best we can do is train them to do the same sort of actions repeatedly. Sort of like they're just carrying a dozen or so automanips that have distinct functions.

But they can correctly guess a distance and such, right? Important part of shooting a gun and all. So, if nothing else, they can snipe all the battlesuit pilots or other hard targets with a microwave manip, right? And even then, given a decent commander, can't he order them what to type in, meaning lack of creativity isn't a big issue (provided you find people to command them)?

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:50 am »

There's also the matter of finding amplifier-capable brains for all those manipulators. And replacement brains for when Sods get predictably heavy-handed and burn their current ones out. (Along with replacement Sods, most likely.)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 11, 2015, 11:01:52 am »

Sooo who has claimed future ZOltan cyborg body guard robot?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 11, 2015, 11:04:06 am »

Me, a while ago. Didn't you see? For glorious testing.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1177 on: June 11, 2015, 11:05:02 am »

Not to mention the danger of giving sods manipulators. They'll probably end up overloading them because "it will kill more enemies and result in objective completion" or just because they do something wrong or are not trained well. Which is fine if you want M.A.D., but not so good when you have inferior numbers or actually care about what you're fighting for (which you probably do, since you didn't nuke it from orbit).

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: June 11, 2015, 11:09:18 am »

"When the green squiggly line goes above this, switch the brain." Seems easy enough. With careful training they should do a better job than the lot of us at least (eg dam incident, ice 9, ...)

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 11, 2015, 11:30:32 am »

Me, a while ago. Didn't you see? For glorious testing.
ah yah...
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:34 pm »

A: Can we please move OOC in this thread to the Heph OOC page?  The two topics are very intermingled, and it's nice to keep this clear so that it's easier to find people's experiments in this thread.
B:I think sod manipulators would work great, and beautifully, as long as we train them well.  Sods always do what they're trained to do perfectly, and do exactly what they were told to do, but nothing more.  They won't overload manips unless we tell them to deactivate their control implants (which forces them to think for themselves), and even then, we could train them to take the brain out and then destroy it if their control implants go dead.  All this, of course, assumes that they're outside the current reality bubble of PW's attention, because sods have been proven to act strangely within that bubble.

...Going to reply to me?  Ask a question that isn't directed at PW?  Please do so in the Heph OOC thread.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 12, 2015, 03:20:05 am »

hey pw, is something like this possible in ER:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rS-x4aT5w
You can assume the system we would use might have extra gauss/railgun systems to help launch it up (eg kinda like a LESHO). It also doesn't have to be equally 'man-portable' as this, something exoskeleton-fired would also be ok. Or hell, a small stationary system (like how a mortar can be used by a regular human, but said human couldn't use it on the move, he has to deploy it first). Finally, assume the target is a spaceship that's in an orbit allowing it to do precision laser bombardment.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1182 on: June 12, 2015, 10:36:31 am »

You can assume the system we would use might have extra gauss/railgun systems to help launch it up (eg kinda like a LESHO). It also doesn't have to be equally 'man-portable' as this, something exoskeleton-fired would also be ok. Or hell, a small stationary system (like how a mortar can be used by a regular human, but said human couldn't use it on the move, he has to deploy it first). Finally, assume the target is a spaceship that's in an orbit allowing it to do precision laser bombardment.
Well thats the silliest fucking defense system I've ever seen.

Anyways, so you're basically just asking if we can create some sort of ground based, semi-portable missile system for engaging targets in close orbit?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 12, 2015, 11:01:34 am »

Well thats the silliest fucking defense system I've ever seen.

Anyways, so you're basically just asking if we can create some sort of ground based, semi-portable missile system for engaging targets in close orbit?

Yes (for the record, they used that so the peeps on that station could deny they themselves shot that ship full of refugees. It was for 'plausible deniability'). Failing that, how big would such a system (aka rail/gauss launcher, with rockets to further boost it up) need to be to target ships in such an orbit? Assume a payload capable of dealing decent damage to such a spaceship (shaped nuclear charge perhaps?)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 17, 2015, 02:23:35 pm »

((Reposting since it was missed before))

Tinkerers awaiting approval for their designs' prototyping, please repost the relevant information.
Either here, or in Hephaestus OOC. Please check that you have Piecewise's approval on the design.
So far only the Hoverboard has been approved for prototyping.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 127