Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215978 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Saint's Death Warrant
« Reply #1200 on: June 30, 2015, 11:04:34 am »

...Is wearing one of those replacement limbs going to induce thoughts of omnicide?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 30, 2015, 11:41:24 am »

...Is wearing one of those replacement limbs going to induce thoughts of omnicide?
Of course. They come preinjected with near-lethal amounts of pure adrenaline and steroids.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1202 on: July 01, 2015, 09:52:17 am »

nahhhhh....probably not.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 01, 2015, 07:01:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If a spaceship has a maximum distance X at which it can still give accurate fire support (not indiscriminate kinetic bombardment), then that range.

What if it was a system that's mounted on a modified battlesuit-like platform? Maybe a big rigid spinal-mounted super-LESHO?

What if it was a system where you have a long (several meters below ground) tube with gauss accelerators (magnets ho!) at the sides to give it a really big push? The projectile itself still has rockets, but it gets a good deal of its initial speed from the launch system.

Also, I propose you rename this (or Hep) thread to 'my hubris'.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1204 on: July 03, 2015, 10:30:28 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If a spaceship has a maximum distance X at which it can still give accurate fire support (not indiscriminate kinetic bombardment), then that range.

What if it was a system that's mounted on a modified battlesuit-like platform? Maybe a big rigid spinal-mounted super-LESHO?

What if it was a system where you have a long (several meters below ground) tube with gauss accelerators (magnets ho!) at the sides to give it a really big push? The projectile itself still has rockets, but it gets a good deal of its initial speed from the launch system.

Also, I propose you rename this (or Hep) thread to 'my hubris'.

Well that depends on the ship and the payload. I mean, lasers will lose coherency over a certain distance but a gauss shot will, assuming it's aimed correctly, be able to hit a planet on the other side of the freaking galaxy. Are we talking like warships or more like weaponized shuttles? Because Weaponized shuttles is basically the only thing a ground based rocket will be able to take out. Even nuke tipped rockets will probably be shot down by anything with a decent Point defense system.

That could work better, Especially if you're mostly using it to aid in reaching escape velocity.

Again, that works, but kinda kills the point of mobility eh?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1205 on: July 07, 2015, 10:10:08 am »

TINKER: Miya's Hubris

Not what I had in mind, what with you always complaining about tinker, but still true enough.

Well that depends on the ship and the payload. I mean, lasers will lose coherency over a certain distance but a gauss shot will, assuming it's aimed correctly, be able to hit a planet on the other side of the freaking galaxy. Are we talking like warships or more like weaponized shuttles? Because Weaponized shuttles is basically the only thing a ground based rocket will be able to take out. Even nuke tipped rockets will probably be shot down by anything with a decent Point defense system.

That could work better, Especially if you're mostly using it to aid in reaching escape velocity.

Mobility isn't the main point, the point is checking if there is a cheap-ish way for a planet to defend itself from ships in orbit. AS for range, I specified it before:

assume the target is a spaceship that's in an orbit allowing it to do precision laser bombardment.

This could be a shuttle in low orbit, or a warship higher. point is, one cannot easily defend against long-range kinetic glassing, but at that range you also don't have precise (kinetic or laser) fire support (to give artillery support to your ground troops capturing whatever it is you don't wanna nuke). I am trying to see if there is a way for a planet to 'scare away' warships in orbit (and shuttles flying lower I guess), because if yes, the UWM could use that to prevent our 'kill every hard target or group of resistance from space' doctrine.

Some facts to help:

A low Earth orbit (LEO) is an orbit around Earth with an altitude between 160 kilometers (99 mi) (orbital period of about 88 minutes), and 2,000 kilometers (1,200 mi) (about 127 minutes).
Earth observation satellites and spy satellites use LEO as they are able to see the surface of the Earth more clearly as they are not so far away. They are also able to traverse the surface of the Earth. A majority of artificial satellites are placed in LEO, making one complete revolution around the Earth in about 90 minutes.
The North American X-15 was a hypersonic rocket-powered aircraft operated by the United States Air Force and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration as part of the X-plane series of experimental aircraft. The X-15 set speed and altitude records in the 1960s, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. As of June 2015, the X-15 holds the official world record for the highest speed ever reached by a manned, powered aircraft. Its maximum speed was 4,520 miles per hour (7,274 km/h), or Mach 6.72.[1]

So, given a ship in LEO (say 1000km) away and a projectile with a average speed of 8 000 km/h (seems very plausible with ER tech, could probably be much higher) it would take the projectile 7.5 minutes (450 sec) for impact. If you can shoot one down every 5 seconds, that's just 90 rockets you need to take down a spaceship (that would cost more in resources, due to needing space magic for FTL engines).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:19:14 am by Radio Controlled »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1206 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:37 am »

TINKER: Miya's Hubris

Not what I had in mind, what with you always complaining about tinker, but still true enough.

Mobility isn't the main point, the point is checking if there is a cheap-ish way for a planet to defend itself from ships in orbit. AS for range, I specified it before:

assume the target is a spaceship that's in an orbit allowing it to do precision laser bombardment.

This could be a shuttle in low orbit, or a warship higher. point is, one cannot easily defend against long-range kinetic glassing, but at that range you also don't have precise (kinetic or laser) fire support (to give artillery support to your ground troops capturing whatever it is you don't wanna nuke). I am trying to see if there is a way for a planet to 'scare away' warships in orbit (and shuttles flying lower I guess), because if yes, the UWM could use that to prevent our 'kill every hard target or group of resistance from space' doctrine.

Some facts to help:

A low Earth orbit (LEO) is an orbit around Earth with an altitude between 160 kilometers (99 mi) (orbital period of about 88 minutes), and 2,000 kilometers (1,200 mi) (about 127 minutes).
Earth observation satellites and spy satellites use LEO as they are able to see the surface of the Earth more clearly as they are not so far away. They are also able to traverse the surface of the Earth. A majority of artificial satellites are placed in LEO, making one complete revolution around the Earth in about 90 minutes.
The North American X-15 was a hypersonic rocket-powered aircraft operated by the United States Air Force and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration as part of the X-plane series of experimental aircraft. The X-15 set speed and altitude records in the 1960s, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. As of June 2015, the X-15 holds the official world record for the highest speed ever reached by a manned, powered aircraft. Its maximum speed was 4,520 miles per hour (7,274 km/h), or Mach 6.72.[1]

So, given a ship in LEO (say 1000km) away and a projectile with a average speed of 8 000 km/h (seems very plausible with ER tech, could probably be much higher) it would take the projectile 7.5 minutes (450 sec) for impact. If you can shoot one down every 5 seconds, that's just 90 rockets you need to take down a spaceship (that would cost more in resources, due to needing space magic for FTL engines).

Well then yes, it would be a possible to make something like this and make it portable. Probably not super portable, but portable.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 08, 2015, 02:03:37 pm »

Tinker Project! Hopefully an easy one.

I want a Gauss Rifle that shoots the same size slugs at a better rate of fire (3-4x?). Make the mag bigger by the same amount so that it doesn't run dry after 2 rounds of shooting. Will likely be bulkier and heavier as a result. Shooting for a price in the 6-7 token range. Does this sound feasible? Need any more info?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 09, 2015, 09:24:04 am »

Well then yes, it would be a possible to make something like this and make it portable. Probably not super portable, but portable.

So, that means that, as long as an enemy isn't willing to nuke the shit out of an area from really far away, it should be possible to deny orbital artillery support capabilities?

Next thing: artillery support shuttle. Basically a high-altitude gunship. We talked about this before, do you remember that? Think a shuttle with the following features:
-Can fly at high altitude.
-Decent sensors to be able to accurately fire.
-Has QEC to Sword and good regular comms to talk to ground troops.
-Has a shape to help with stealth (like what the B-2 has going) and a coating of stealth material.
-Has a suite of countermeasures (flares, chaff, ...)
-Armored with a ground layer of sharkmist plate and hexsand on top of it (enough to protect against conventional AA laser installations).
-Armed with:
      -A couple lasers of variable output (maybe a design like the FEL cruiser, basically a big box with multiple exit sites for the laser beam). At the least, an output/turret in the front, back, sides and underside
      -A LESHO-like launch system for very precise missiles that can (but don't strictly have to) be accelerated with gauss tech. Missiles can have various payloads.
-Cockpit to allow for up to 3 pilots (or 6 braincases), but can be remote-controlled by steve as well.
-When a pilot is present, the chances for an artillery strike to hit is better according to the pilot's AUX skill. But please, don't make the thing miss 4/6 of the time when on autopilot, like the Hep artillery did, that was a bit ridiculous.
-It costs 5 tokens to have the artillery shuttle deployed.
-1 token buys you 3 airstrike 'vouchers'. Spending more vouchers at once allows a larger strike (spending 1 might buy you a 3 sec laser sweep of battlesuit-damaging power, spending 2 might buy you a single laser pulse straight melting a battlesuit, spending 5 vouchers might buy you a kinetic missile with a nuclear payload, etc). Should we precisely define what amount gets you what, or woud you prefer to keep it more vague?
-Name: not sure yet; Probably High Altitude Gunship ("Deploy the HAG!") or an animal as designation (probably a bird of prey. Eagle, falcon harrier, buzzard, hawk, something like that. What would you like best or find easiest to remember?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 09, 2015, 10:21:38 am »

-Name: not sure yet; Probably High Altitude Gunship ("Deploy the HAG!") or an animal as designation (probably a bird of prey. Eagle, falcon harrier, buzzard, hawk, something like that. What would you like best or find easiest to remember?
((We've been doing well naming ships after weapons. For this one, "Kunai" would seem appropriate.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 09, 2015, 11:12:27 am »

((We've been doing well naming ships after weapons. For this one, "Kunai" would seem appropriate.))

((Then we should name the Hot Extract Shuttle the EXACTO knife :P)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 09, 2015, 07:27:06 pm »

Oooh, when if Zayne over perma dies I'm totally going to make a pilot character.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 09, 2015, 07:38:33 pm »

Scalpels are good at extracting things.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 09, 2015, 07:43:07 pm »

Scalpels are good at extracting things.
Oooh! Since Tryrar semi-challenged me to make a competing shuttle design around Project Orion drives (it's all in the IRC logs!), I now have an opportunity to make a design with that name!
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 09, 2015, 07:54:30 pm »

For some reason, and maybe it's just me, but scalpel doesn't seem a...appropriate name for something propelled by an Orion drive. But maybe it's just me  :D
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 127