Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 127

Author Topic: TINKER: Miya's Hubris  (Read 215991 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: TINKER: Miya's Hubris
« Reply #1485 on: October 14, 2015, 10:24:49 am »

Hmm.
If I did the Kinetic Feedback Engine with only one Kinetic Amplifier, but the rest being the same, would it suffer catastrophic failure?  Can some sort of compensatory mechanism be installed to prevent it from breaking?

Also:
Porting a subset of common materials and ways of hitting, dissolving, moving, or removing them to a wristpad app.  Also, a tester kit thing integrated with said for decent on-the-spot materials input.  Also, a searchable compressed database of less common things that would still be likely.  In fact, generally this should be compressed into as small a package as possible.
You'd have to have something that reduced the energy on the return stroke. But you also forget that while the player one may have unlimited uses, in the world lore, they run on a battery, so this thing wouldn't run infinitely.

That sort of stuff already exists. The problem is when you come up against alien things it doesn't understand.

I have a feeling I might have proposed this idea before, but is there any way to use a kinamp configuration similar to the kinamp-club to make a conventional weapon that shoots shockwaves when in atmosphere? Essentially something like a kinamp stuck on a piston that can charge up to different levels of force and then hit a surface, releasing a directed shockwave in the process. Maybe with something to redirect the force, if needed.

If the above works, try to make an add-on that makes the weapon wrist or hand mounted, like a hand laser, so it can also be used to make pneumatically enhanced kinamp punches.

And an add-on that removes the barrier the kinamp hits, thus allowing it to launch the kinamp as a crossbow bolt, for a shot that wastes whatever ammo is left in the kinamp but deals a lot of damage.
Edit: Although I guess that if the bolt survives it could be retrieved and reused.
Ie a kinamp shockwave rifle? Sure, that would just be a kinamp and some sort of mechanism to strike it. And then a casing to focus the shockwave.  The problems with it are multi-fold though.

1. That kinamp would have batteries and limited uses
2. The shockwave itself would have very limited range, and the stronger and more long range you make it, the heavier the casing.  Same with the piston punch; the stronger you make it, the stronger the mechanism and the user have to be to survive the shockwave.
3. And using the shockwaves to fire things like the expanding gas of a gun is fine, but you'd need to do various things to make sure the accuracy wouldn't be terrible and that the ammo wouldn't just blow apart.

Pre-emptive tinker project for M24, because im bored of waiting to get to heph to gain IC knowledge of coldspikes.

make an angled metal hubcap that anchors onto the MK suits radiator fins or heat distribution coil.
cover the exterior in MK suit fabric.

have it contain a coldspike inside it so that when the hubcap is attached the spike eats all the heat the suit is giving off.

get price.

Well, not too much. Though, doesn't the MCP not use the fins anymore? And anything MKII or above doesn't either. For the price of sticking this on there, they could get a MKII for just a bit more and have medical systems built in.
So wait.. how do MkII's and MKIII's radiate heat if they dont have radiator fins or exhaust ports?

the point of this is to completely eliminate heat emissions an all versions of the mk and mcp suits, and  toallow for a perfectly contained environment.
mainly so that we dont feed the thermophage, but also because it has stealth benefits and prevents ice related explosions originating form the cooling systems.

how much would it cost to replace the existing cooling systems with a coldspike? and how much would it cost to simply add the coldspike to the existing cooling systems and cover it up with mk suit fabric?

also what is the standalone price for an individual coldspike?

A cold spike would be more dangerous than it's worth.  Your suit would be constantly icing over, you'd be freezing everything around you if you hung around too long, it's not really viable.

So what's the TPU on the welder's generator? I'm guessing around the same as a MK1 suit.
Welder combo also includes a voltmeter now, I assume that's no big deal.

Those two things are ready for Heph approval. I'll have a writeup in the Heph thread soon.
I have no goddamn idea.

How many tokens for the version that flies continuously (50), one that flies for (25) and another that flies for (10)?

Can the 10 minute pack be made as a sort of basic mother module and the more expensive versions made as addons/expansions to be purchased later as necessary to upgrade the flight capabilities?

Blue radite or generator? Because blue rad is cheaper for buying but you'd need to buy replacement batteries when you use the first one up.

Is there a model of the Sword? What about a model of a player room? If there is, pull it up and exam the walls of the room, taking note of any electrical lines/pipes/whatever.
In what, tinker? No. No one has added those yet. The sword for security reasons, the player rooms because they were created recently.

I was thinking about 4. Which would let you use the overcharge 4 times instead of 1 for the same price.

Wait, I'm not following entirely. Since the overcharge always depletes the whole battery, and the gun body itself is essentially free, what does one win here in terms of tokens? The way I see it, one would be paying 1 token and in exchange be able to use an overcharge 4 times (using 4 different batteries) without running risk of the molten metal encasing the hand. Because, again, the gun body itself is practically free, so you don't 'save tokens' by saving the gun body, you just buy yourself the convenience of not running the risk of having that molten slag get on your hands. So, with that in mind, would it be possible to get the number of heat sinks up to 5 or 6 per token?

Would a mod that makes the gun from something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(aka rather small and unobtrusive)
into something like this (very rough comparisons here):
Be good? Just to get a mental picture. Alternatively, maybe a pistol design with the heatsink cartridges in place of bullets?
Oh, and at what numbers does one start getting discounts when buying pistol ammo?

Ah, I forgot it depleted the battery. In that case you'd need more like an expanded heatsink or cooling system rather then just a casing or something, if you want it to be reusable. So either like some sort of fluid cooling system or a big metal chunk off of it to absorb the heat.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 14, 2015, 10:30:35 am »

@PW:
...It's a generator.
It can totally charge itself.

Also, if it exists, why do I have this gut feeling that no-one really uses it?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 14, 2015, 10:35:56 am »

Ah, I forgot it depleted the battery. In that case you'd need more like an expanded heatsink or cooling system rather then just a casing or something, if you want it to be reusable. So either like some sort of fluid cooling system or a big metal chunk off of it to absorb the heat.

That sounds usable, yeah. Like in this picture:
But here that enormous mag on the front is actually a heatsink where the heat of an overcharge is shunted to (using liquid to carry heat off to the sink from the gun body). Does that work? If yes, would an infinite-use version be ok (which could cost more than 1 token), or would you rather stick with limited number of uses per 1 token block?

Oh, and at what numbers does one start getting discounts when buying blaster pistol ammo?

Finally, would it be possible to create an automanip that negates the effects of a nuclear explosion (aka contains heat, pressure and radiation), given that you know the exact position and strength of the nuke and automanip, and the (one use) automanip goes off once its sensors detect the start of detonation.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 10:41:16 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 14, 2015, 11:16:32 am »

Generator for standard, but capable of accepting blue radite cells: generator for doing the usual, blue rad if people want to buy it for extra flight time during emergencies or speed boosts.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 14, 2015, 11:21:39 am »

It seems im gonna have to take a different appraoch here.

so.. questions.

general:
1) what is the token cost of a coldspikee, are thre any bulk buy deals available?
2) Can you encase one side of the spike in material to dampen the effect on one side?
3) could it be handled if it were inserted into a frame made from near perfect thermal insulators such as a MK suit fabric net, then attached to a hilt or handle once outside the area of effect?

Project specific:
4) if the coldspike is held centralised in a hollow enclosure with an inner lining of MK suit fabric just outside the effects range but simultaneously housing the radiator coil within it, wouldnt that solve the icing and temperature drop issues as the effect?
5) could some simple copper wiring be overlayed on the outside and run the electricicty passively generated by the suits reactor through it as a sort of thermostat to prevent the icing by heating the fabric if the problem persists?

Side Project:
grab a long rod of metal have it end in four prongs splaying out on a 45 degree angle to the centrepoint of the rods tip.
have these prongs end with their tips ~12 inches apart or however wide they need to be to avoid the cooling effect.
use woven mk fabric ropes anchored to the prong tips to hold a coldspike in the central position where it cant touch the metal rod or prongs.
can this be used to less unsafely poke things with the coldspikes?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1490 on: October 14, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to use a hexsand heatsink for the MK suits? Or a living sand paint covering? Using cold-spikes seems a bit overkill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 14, 2015, 12:32:01 pm »

@PW:
...It's a generator.

The battery holds something other than electricity. Likely human neural tissue.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:34 pm »

@PW:
...It's a generator.

The battery holds something other than electricity. Likely human neural tissue.
No?
Not that the Wiki says.
The Kinetic Amplifier is not Space Magic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 14, 2015, 12:54:00 pm »

According to what Maurice said on M21 Kin Amps are Origin tech, which means high chances for them using something funky as a power source.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 14, 2015, 12:56:04 pm »

Kinetic SHUNTS are Space Magic...
Also, Piecewise said they have batteries, not brains.
Sigtext

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 14, 2015, 01:01:19 pm »

They are a type of automanipulator. They are 100% space magic. If that's not on the wiki it should be.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1496 on: October 14, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »

They are a type of automanipulator. They are 100% space magic. If that's not on the wiki it should be.
It is in the wiki:
Every time the front of the kinetic amp is hit by something, the kinetic amp registers that input and then activates its "automanipulator" to multiply that force and project it in the opposite direction right in front of the kinetic amp. Note that this is not an automanipulator in the traditional sense, since it works differently from those offered to inmates.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 14, 2015, 01:11:45 pm »

I was reasonably sure that meant it wasn't an amp or manip, but okay, if you say so.
Sigtext

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1498 on: October 14, 2015, 01:31:01 pm »

I was reasonably sure that meant it wasn't an amp or manip, but okay, if you say so.
It's not an amp or manipulator. And it's not an  automanipulator in the same sense as those offered to us because automanipulators can only do one thing with only one output that is always the same and no input, while the kinamp can change its outputs based on its input.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:51 pm »

So...IS IT Space Magic or IS IT NOT Space Magic because I seem to be lost in the terminology soup here.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 127