Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Willedabyss☼  (Read 25446 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork Succession Fortress: Willedabyss☼
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2014, 09:52:30 am »

Wait, so goblins are going to burn our stuff? Dammit.

By the way, the dwarves are refusing to change their assigned jobs. Every time I remove a profession from them or add one, it just reverts back to the way it was before the second I leave their job screen. I've even tried using the Therapist and that does nothing.

Asmoth's Log, Granite 118.

I've been forced to take command of Willedabyss, as to not do so would be to allow anarchy to bring this fortress to ruin. There are several major problems that I intend to rectify, and then I plan to get these stockpile records up to standard, as all these question marks after everything are giving me a headache.

The first order of business is to dig out a proper dining room, since as far as I can tell, nearly all of our tables are under water. I don't know why. Next, I'll be digging out some proper bedrooms, and preferably hamstringing the mad bastard who's been forcing us to sleep above ground. Above. Ground.

I've also ordered the mechanics to put some cage traps outside the entrance, which will hopefully stop the many, many deaths that have been happening recently.
Umm the water is my fault I dug to far next to a reserve that master made, I was not able to save any items but i was able to keep dwarfs alive. :D
Edit- Do we have any relics or fossles? That's how I get good weapons during my first years of my fort.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:54:54 am by danmanthedog »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Succession Fortress
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »

Erm... we probably do, but I haven't noticed. I'm not all that familiar with Masterwork, so I'm not sure what to do with them even if we have any. We do have a rune armory and rune weapon forge now, though. I've been trying to get them to research magic, but we seem to be missing something. We definitely have platinum, tanned hides and stone, I can't recall what else is needed.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2014, 03:28:20 pm »

Erm... we probably do, but I haven't noticed. I'm not all that familiar with Masterwork, so I'm not sure what to do with them even if we have any. We do have a rune armory and rune weapon forge now, though. I've been trying to get them to research magic, but we seem to be missing something. We definitely have platinum, tanned hides and stone, I can't recall what else is needed.
Need to build archaeology building which is just blocks and journal and hourglass also magic is fucking annoying to research, But I playing my own fort on gear map and I already found 3 guardian of armoks thanks to the fossils and old chests. :P

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2014, 09:22:50 pm »

We don't seem to have any fossils at the moment, but we to have a masterful amethyst statue thanks to the golem that wandered in and tried to kill up all.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:57 pm »

We don't seem to have any fossils at the moment, but we to have a masterful amethyst statue thanks to the golem that wandered in and tried to kill up all.
Damm, and hmm that sucks about the fossils.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2014, 08:01:24 am »

Back from the weekend festivities and ready to claim.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2014, 10:21:17 am »

Asmoth's Log, Autumn 118

Things have been pretty quiet lately. The masons finished that dining room and are in the middle of building a barracks for our military. We've had three goblin ambushes, but the militia took care of them with no casualties. They also killed a golem that wandered into the fortress from the lowest cavern, and I put its corpse in my office.

The caravans arrived from the mountainhomes, so I bought anything that seemed useful and have them a decent offering for the king. All going well, we should get a baron before the end of next year. He would, of course, be instantly murdered by an angry goat or something, but it's the thought that counts.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2014, 01:15:32 pm »

Journal of Danman it is made out of baderdog leather and hanging rings of thrall fingers.

Date unknown
"Hmm it seems that we don't have any lovely fossils, I think we should cast a vote to locate a few lovely relics. I also think we need more badgerdogs, because who doesn't like badgerdoggies they are furry and and vicious so I will demend Deus to trade my badgerdoggies. That is all my friends."

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2014, 03:32:36 pm »

So it turns out that we actually do have some fossils, or at least one anyway. A lumberjack got possessed and is using one to make something. We don't have an abacus to make an archaeologist's workshop with, though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:36:10 pm by Deus Asmoth »

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »

So it turns out that we actually do have some fossils, or at least one anyway. A lumberjack got possessed and is using one to make something. We don't have an abacus to make an archaeologist's workshop with, though.
That mother trucker wasting that good fossil, you do know that you can make a abacus easily.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2014, 10:20:55 am »

Yeah, but everything classified as finished goods keeps getting juggled around between stockpiles, so no one will actually use them for anything. Winter was reasonably quiet in any case, I got the dining room and barracks finished, and there's a wall going up around the perimiter of the fortress. We got invaded by a bunch of cyclopes and giants near the end of the year, and the military killed them without losing anyone, but then one of them threw a fireball just before dying which set the west side of the map on fire and killed four of our military. Our record accuracy is only high at the moment, I was intending to get it perfect in winter but I forgot to.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8470

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:57 am »

Yeah i hate wen the stockpile juggle happens, it sucks when your trying to research crap.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:50 am »

I've got the save, I'll begin after lunch and world history. Actually, I might not begin until I get home from school. I have to read "Pride and Prejudice" for British lit., so that'll both waste my time and put me in an appropriate (fell) mood for playing Dwarf Fortress. ( I don't like most Classical Literature. And based on the cover, the first line, and the cover art, I don't think this will be an exception. Cue all the people defending it because it's "good literature" and "a classic" and "really not as bad as you think". I don't want to hear it. The only thing that will change my opinion is being forced to read it, but that will probably only make me like it less. We'll see. ) I will get started today though. Any tips on what I should do? ( This is my first time playing the Masterwork mod and I note a lot of talk about research, archaeology, and magic. How much of a preference should I put on that versus "regularish" Dwarfy things? )

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2014, 03:14:26 pm »

I've got the save, I'll begin after lunch and world history. Actually, I might not begin until I get home from school. I have to read "Pride and Prejudice" for British lit., so that'll both waste my time and put me in an appropriate (fell) mood for playing Dwarf Fortress. ( I don't like most Classical Literature. And based on the cover, the first line, and the cover art, I don't think this will be an exception. Cue all the people defending it because it's "good literature" and "a classic" and "really not as bad as you think". I don't want to hear it. The only thing that will change my opinion is being forced to read it, but that will probably only make me like it less. We'll see. ) I will get started today though. Any tips on what I should do? ( This is my first time playing the Masterwork mod and I note a lot of talk about research, archaeology, and magic. How much of a preference should I put on that versus "regularish" Dwarfy things? )
You need a lot of research and archaeology is fine if you can find lots of fossils because of the random goodies it gives you. For reasearch I would do weapon, armor, all the metal forges traps if you doing heavy defense and finally magic or ammo cast.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2014, 10:59:28 am »

Oh Lord... I just opened the save file and everything is on fire.

~The world is burning~

Ok, now in character.

I uh... Seem to have wandered into another strange portal and have surfaced in a strange new world. I don't know where I am or how I got here, but there seems to be a large wildfire off to the west. I walk toward a wall that I can see off to the Northeast. Another dwarf runs up to me and asks

"Are you the one?"

"I'm a one."

"No, are you the one that the Mountainhomes sent to take over?"

"Oh. Yeah, sure."

I'd never been the Overseer of a fortress before, so I figured I'd give it a try.

"Then follow me sir!"

She grabbed me by the wrist and practically dragged me along by my face.

"Quickly! We have to put out the fire."

"Yeah. Wait what?"

"The fire sir."

"Oh. It doesn't seem to be dangerous, I mean it's moving away from us."

"Well... "

"I mean... I guess we could set up some pump systems to put out the fire."

"By the time you did that, the fire would burn out."

"Exactly."

"Well then, I guess we'll get you started as the Overseer. What's your name?"

"Ringo McClellan."

"What a weird name. It's not a big surpirse though. I guess there's just some place where they grow Administrators like heads of cabbage and give them weird names."

"Yeah, something like that."

"Anyways, no time for that. Come inside quickly, we've got a lot to do today."

She leads me inside and then runs off to go do some other task. I spend a little time exploring the place and determine that it makes no sense at all. Well that's fine, I'll figure it out. I look at some conveniently available maps. A dwarf in the hallway asks me why I'm narrating all my actions. I wave him on and tell him that I'm the new overseer.

"New Overseer."

He nods and gives me a strange look. Why am I the weird one? This whole place is covered in flames and dwarf blood. These maps are super cryptic. Oh wait, I have them upside down. No, that's still not that much better.

"Snatcher!"

I look around. I don't see anything. Wait a mintute... the maps are moving. What the hell? Ah... Oh Armok my brain! What is this?

"WELCOME NEW OVERSEER."

"Yeah, uh... hi."

"I HAVE BEQUEATHED TO YOU THE POWER OF ALL GREAT DWARVEN OVERSEERS. YOU ARE NOW OMNISCIENT TO THE FULLEST DISCOVERED EXTENTS OF WILLEDABYSS."

"What's Willedabyss?"

"IT IS WHERE YOU ARE NOW."

"Oh."

"IN ADDITION, YOU CAN NOW BE IN TWO PLACES AT ONCE. YOUR BODY WILL FUNCTION AS IT ALWAYS HAD BUT YOUR MIND WILL STAY IN A SAFE PLACE TO CONTROL THE FORTRESS. ALL DWARVES HERE WILL BE BENT TO YOUR WILL AND YOU WILL HAVE NEAR GOD-LIKE POWERS."

"Seems pretty awesome."

"YOU WILL ALSO HAVE FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WELL-BEING OF THE FORTRESS, IF YOU FAIL YOU WILL SUFFER A HORRIBLE DEATH AND THEN BE FORCED TO CONTINUE WORKING AS A GHOST."

"Oh..."

Well that was weird... Whoa... My body's walking away. Well... I guess I'd better get to work on that whole "Snatcher" thing. Doo-de-doo. Oh, I can see it! KILL IT KILL IT! Wait... where'd it go? Hmm... Better see what else I can do. I think I'm going to start building pumps to wash the blood off the fort.

1st Granite: A Genie has been found dead.

15th Granite: It's raining Dwarfblood again.

24th Granite: An Alchemists' Guild dwarf was struck down by nightwings. I've mobilized both squads to put an end to them.

26th Granite: Shoshin Themnolonul, Crafters-Guild peasant throws a tantrum.
27th Granite: Metalsmith is also throwing a tantrum.

((OOC: I worry a tantrum spiral might start happening soon. I intend to try and build some mist generators, a well, a soapery, and some other things to increase morale. All of you were so busy with your necrofantastic This-and-thats that you forgot to take care of your dwarves, and with the loss of that Alchemist peasant we're about to have the first steps of a tantrum spiral. Not saying that you did anything wrong, just that I won't be able to accomplish any nice dwarven things for at least the first half of my turn. One thing I'd like to do though is set up a catapult battery to fend off those pesky nightwings. Also. I'm building a moat with a drawbridge around what appears to be the main bulk of the fort. You're welcome.

Oh yea, I also took two attempts on this, but due to serious mishaps on my first try I started over. Call me whatever you like, over-cautious, coward, enemy to the fun. I particularly think that starting over was the way to go here. I shouldn't lose half of both squads, a former overseer, and a few caverns in one season. I could understand if this happened while we were under attack or something, but it didn't. Also, I don't know exactly why but the dates seem to be out of sync. The announcement board puts the days about a week later than the status board, so that's what the date discrepancies are about. Also, I'm sticking to the more basic dwarven features until I really figure out the new research and archaeology features. Good luck to the next player and I hope you actually know how to do this stuff. I'm playing my character as a semi-oblivious first-time overseer from another dimension anyway, so you can be the guy who comes in to "fix all the broken stuff". We'll have to see how the rest of the year pans out, I may prove to be competent yet! XD ))
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19