Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 193

Author Topic: Banter Thread  (Read 370467 times)

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Banter Thread
« Reply #2685 on: April 29, 2021, 06:30:12 am »

Hm, any interest in a game of Paranoia?  Ran a few games back in the day.  Could be done as a mafia game, a RTD, hybrid, or make up as I go along.  Pretty much the only option I'm not considering is the using the actual rules, groan.

This group, I think, might just be capable of a Straight campaign, although I suspect it could devolve into a Zapfest.  Maybe classic?
I'm interested in it, but probably can't play just right now. Would definitely observe it.

The first Mafia game I played was hosted on a PARANOIA fan site, actually. The site has long since been dead though, sadly.

I don't recall what roles that game had, but it was a bit free-form. So you could do actions that make it seem you have a different role than what you actually had. As a Townie, I fake-claimed Internal Security to try to incriminate someone that I thought was Mafia. It was a rather terrible play, but the enemy was Mafia, so my action won the game for the Town.

I think another Mafia game was hosted on that site, which prevented that sort of shenanigans from taking place, so it was more of a conventional Mafia game with PARANOIA fluff. Mafia won that game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:41:31 am by Skynet »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 29, 2021, 06:37:13 pm »

A discord might be nice, it's easy to dip in and out.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: April 29, 2021, 07:04:12 pm »

Somebody say Discord?

Is an unofficial catchall server for Bay12 forum games. Plenty of room there for mafia shenanigans, I figure!
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 29, 2021, 08:18:30 pm »

Well, that bot exists there, now. It's not running on its own instance atm, so I have to manually run it from my computer, but changing that isn't super hard. Working on the bugs is difficult though.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: April 29, 2021, 09:50:06 pm »

Played some test games on the server. Not sure what the limits of the bot are just yet, but the library handles rate-limiting just fine.

Lots of good games. I'll host it tomorrow and Saturday, around 7 PM CDT, and hopefully we can play some Liar's Dice!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: April 29, 2021, 09:55:39 pm »

I don't know about tomorrow, but I can probably play on Saturday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 30, 2021, 08:39:41 am »

Friday's my Jackbox night, but I could possibly do Saturday.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 30, 2021, 12:59:29 pm »

I won't be able to tonight, but tomorrow for sure.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 30, 2021, 08:55:32 pm »

As a test run, my changes today broke the bot, but I rolled back my changes.

It was a great test run.

Also, Shakerag sounds exactly like he sounds.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: May 01, 2021, 07:36:49 am »

The best part is that that's a Vector original.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: May 01, 2021, 10:26:07 am »

Also, Shakerag sounds exactly like he sounds.

I assume you will be thoroughly unsurprised with my picture as well.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: May 01, 2021, 02:53:51 pm »

Hm, any interest in a game of Paranoia?  Ran a few games back in the day.  Could be done as a mafia game, a RTD, hybrid, or make up as I go along.  Pretty much the only option I'm not considering is the using the actual rules, groan.

This group, I think, might just be capable of a Straight campaign, although I suspect it could devolve into a Zapfest.  Maybe classic?
I'm interested in it, but probably can't play just right now. Would definitely observe it.

The first Mafia game I played was hosted on a PARANOIA fan site, actually. The site has long since been dead though, sadly.

I don't recall what roles that game had, but it was a bit free-form. So you could do actions that make it seem you have a different role than what you actually had. As a Townie, I fake-claimed Internal Security to try to incriminate someone that I thought was Mafia. It was a rather terrible play, but the enemy was Mafia, so my action won the game for the Town.

I think another Mafia game was hosted on that site, which prevented that sort of shenanigans from taking place, so it was more of a conventional Mafia game with PARANOIA fluff. Mafia won that game.

Happen to remember the website? I tried hunting it down, but I forget what its called.  I'd like to Wayback it, as I spent quite some time on it, even got a shout out in the Black Missions book.  Went by Dirk on that website.

Now I'm wondering if I could somehow use Liar's Dice to run Paranoia...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: May 01, 2021, 03:05:42 pm »

Yes, yes, this could work.  Use Liar's Dice as controlled protagonist, winner gets to publicly describe what happens next and privately inform the GM the sneaky sneaky thing they also want to happen. Dice could even represent the player's clones.  Lose a clone, lose a life.  Gain a clone...and Friend Computer forgets what clone you are on.  As a reward and totally not a power failure or CMT* plot.

*CMT = Commie Mutant Traitor

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: May 01, 2021, 03:13:43 pm »

Happen to remember the website? I tried hunting it down, but I forget what its called.  I'd like to Wayback it, as I spent quite some time on it, even got a shout out in the Black Missions book.  Went by Dirk on that website.

Now I'm wondering if I could somehow use Liar's Dice to run Paranoia...

The site name was www.paranoia-live.net . archive.org has difficulty arching phpbb forums, so it's difficult to find forum posts, but it's possible. I wish you the best of luck.

I just PMed you a link to another archive that lasts from 2003 to 2006, but I suspect the Mafia games took place after 2006, so digging through archive.org might be your best bet.
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 193