Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Someone explain this sub forum to me?  (Read 2591 times)

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
Re: Someone explain this sub forum to me?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 03:32:28 pm »

Explain Rtds!

((Or is it too mean to hijack a thread where a person earnestly needs help understanding what's happening?))

[4] You explain that an RTD is a simplified version of a PBP (Play by post) version of traditional pen and paper campaigns. Traditionally, RTD's require less effort of both players and GM (varies wildly). Most often, player's won't need to make complicated character sheets, or buy expensive source books and such. They are more universally known for their adherence to a single die, the d6 (also varies wildly).  In a standard RTD, 1 is critical fail, 2 is a fail, 3 is partial success, 4 is success, 5 is outstanding success, and 6 is overshoot. However, this greatly varies depending on the GM. RTD's are mainly found on the Bay12 forums, where it's believed they originated, though the idea and name have turned up on other forums as well.

Know subtypes of the RTD are the rare mini-RTD, which are often shorter and more concise than standard RTD's, and the more prominent minimalist RTD. The latter is slightly controversial on the forum, as the complete absence of rules (barring the fact that everything is determined by the d6) often results in chaos, and thread locking as a result. Some traditional RTD authors and players have refused to accept minimalist RTD's. Citation needed

Interesting links [2] (Srry, no links for you)

Roller's block: A place to share and discuss RTD ideas.
RTD hall of fame:  A list with the better and more prominent RTD's this forum has known.

Explain Rtds!

((Or is it too mean to hijack a thread where a person earnestly needs help understanding what's happening?))

...What? If you need a more thorough explanation of RTDs I'm sure it's fine to ask here.
[Sense Motive:1]

[Explain motive: 5] Samarkand is trying to turn this thread into an RTD.

Edit: Dodge Ninja: 1.
...That post scores a 10/10.

>Buy 10Ebbor10 a beer.
(5) You go to your local bar, but find that it's free drink night there. You receive many a drink!

blazing glory

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »

Explain Rtds!

[4] You explain that an RTD is a simplified version of a PBP (Play by post) version of traditional pen and paper campaigns. Traditionally, RTD's require less effort of both players and GM (varies wildly). Most often, player's won't need to make complicated character sheets, or buy expensive source books and such. They are more universally known for their adherence to a single die, the d6 (also varies wildly).  In a standard RTD, 1 is critical fail, 2 is a fail, 3 is partial success, 4 is success, 5 is outstanding success, and 6 is overshoot. However, this greatly varies depending on the GM. RTD's are mainly found on the Bay12 forums, where it's believed they originated, though the idea and name have turned up on other forums as well.

Know subtypes of the RTD are the rare mini-RTD, which are often shorter and more concise than standard RTD's, and the more prominent minimalist RTD. The latter is slightly controversial on the forum, as the complete absence of rules (barring the fact that everything is determined by the d6) often results in chaos, and thread locking as a result. Some traditional RTD authors and players have refused to accept minimalist RTD's. Citation needed

RTD hall of fame:  A list with the better and more prominent RTD's this forum has known.

Explain Rtds!

...What? If you need a more thorough explanation of RTDs I'm sure it's fine to ask here.

>Buy 10Ebbor10 a beer.
[1]  you get a beer,you spill the beer on Ebbor,a Bar room brawl starts because it was spilt on other patrons as well,you both end up with broken beer bottle stab wounds and die.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 03:39:01 pm »

That's a lot of stuff to to happen on a single dice roll. Like, there should be a roll to win the bar fight and not be stabbed.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

poketwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »

Explain Rtds!

Explain Rtds!

>Buy 10Ebbor10 a beer.
(4) you buy him a beer.

blazing glory

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 04:24:20 pm »

That's a lot of stuff to to happen on a single dice roll. Like, there should be a roll to win the bar fight and not be stabbed.
then I misunderstand critical failure.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 04:24:55 pm »

If I wasn't away from my usual computer, I would start a Roll to Win the Bar Fight thread... :)
So instead...

Coerce someone into starting a RtWtBF thread.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 04:26:16 pm »

If I wasn't away from my usual computer, I would start a Roll to Win the Bar Fight thread... :)
So instead...

Coerce someone into starting a RtWtBF thread.
Oh god that's actually something I want to do now. Quick and simple. I tend to overcomplicate my ideas, you see.
I'l post this sometime today.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 05:07:55 pm »

then I misunderstand critical failure.

Depends who's writing, really.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:55 pm »

I would do my best to explain, but I'm currently browsing the forums on a tablet (which I am not used to) and typing is a dreadful chore which would take hours.
Hopefully someone else helps you out!

>Cling to consciousness, try and find my way to the nearest bathroom.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 [2]