Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 280486 times)

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums Balance and Ideas Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »

A throwing weapon and a melee weapon are functionally the same if they have 1-2 range :V
I think the point of claymore is to have a ranged sword that wasn't magical.

Cause throwing your sword never works.

On that-

Why is there no throwing dagger item? You can add like, a Kunai subclass or something at least.
I need to put something interesting here.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:58 pm »

@Soly: I do agree and haven't yet said otherwise.

@Role: Sides don't seem that bad to me. Some throwing, some poison (only weapons that are physical with such effects mind you except for the one crossbow I believe), a little inaccurate though.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2014, 06:20:41 pm »

Oh, misunderstood that.
We could always change the name of one of them to pike :P
The heavy spear for example?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:24:47 pm by Solymr »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »

They seem fairly accurate, more accurate than most swords even, Nevermind actually looked at the Hit rates...*sigh*... I just think they're all a bit gimmicky and not really useful beyond said gimmicks, or coherent as a weapon class.

And there are certainly other weapons, in the Polearms, Venom and Poison Halberd. Frankly surprised there isn't one in the Axe category.

EDIT: Speaking of Polearms, perhaps they should have a few 1-2 physical ones, since they're supposed to be pikes and halberds and such. Besides, Knights always seemed like they fit with Polearms better, fluff-wise, than Spears, but maybe that's jut me.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2014, 06:26:59 pm »

@Soly: Exactly what I what thinking. Maybe short spear, it does stand out a bit of the naming scheme. Largely dependent on the GM and mostly changes nothing but how one describes the attack. Still, nothing like the thought of giving someone a stabbing from a distance.

@Gamer: See Side. They have throwing daggers. The sword line is a bit odd since it's the only line with a forth branch, second if you count ballistas under bows.

@Role: I remember being disappointed that there weren't glaives. They're all halberds. As for the sides, maybe up their accuracy of the non-throwing ones?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 06:29:35 pm by Xanmyral »

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 06:28:56 pm »

Poison hand bro.
Polearms are more of a soldier/wyvern rider weapon IMO. And the 1-2 range lances belong completely to spear subcategory cause it's pretty much its definition :V

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 06:38:58 pm »

More of the sidearms should have range function, I think. Further increasing their hit rate would be kind of a waste, since the kind of classes that would use them already tend to have high skill.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »

Maybe the class specials and poison ones. Except the hidden blade. Wouldn't want assassins to have range assassinationing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »

@Role: I remember being disappointed that there weren't glaives. They're all halberds. As for the sides, maybe up their accuracy of the non-throwing ones?
There is a Glaive, E rank I think. It's Effective againts Cavalry units.

I disagree with 1-2 range lances only belonging in spear category. Mostly; I had a thought: What if the 'ranged' weapons in polearms were only 2 range? After all, it's hard to fight with a pike against someone with a knife, once he gets close. Also fits with Hold The Line, since it's keeping them away from you.

Speaking of knives, maybe Sidearms shouldn't take up inventory space? That way a Rogue can hold a weapon of some kind (or just have them be an exception to the rogue rule?), or something. They're just so light that it becomes kinda unnecessary how light they are, especially since proficiency alone reduces effective weight of the A and S rank ones to near 0. And being so light means they're not very powerful.

Ooh! What about some of them having a rule that for every additional 4 points higher your AS is, you get another attack, to a max of four or something?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2014, 06:50:27 pm »

As a secondary topic to this one, what is to be done with stat% skills? Nobody likes them because they're blue-moon, why get something that's very rare when you cam get a sure thing? When they become more common, by then it was as if you were without a skill for a long time.

I figure a simple x2 should shape them up, although if we want more complex we could have it be two stats added together percentage chance instead.

@Role: Imma give a really big no to that last idea. Geeze no. Thirty strength sword master with side geeze no.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2014, 06:55:38 pm »

@RPG: may I remind you that this thread is also about "balance" :P

Statx2% chance seems nice. Maybe we'll see some cancels and adepts. If it's too great then reduce the multiplier to 1.5

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2014, 06:56:24 pm »

Except the hidden blade. Wouldn't want assassins to have range assassinationing.

Yeah, definitely not that one.

Ooh! What about some of them having a rule that for every additional 4 points higher your AS is, you get another attack, to a max of four or something?

Speed is enough of a god stat already. I object to this.

I've been thinking that weapon skill should translate to more than being able to swing a better weapon though. Maybe battle stats increase as well?

D gives +5 hit, C +10 Hit, B +5 eva and 10 hit, A gets +1 Dam, 5 eva and 10 hit, and S gets 5 crit on top of A bonuses.

It'd make Discipline a bit more worthwhile, and Weapon Skills more worthwhile in general, since the weight reduction is usually negligible, and otherwise all it does is allow access to weapons that for the most part, you probably won't get.

As a secondary topic to this one, what is to be done with stat% skills? Nobody likes them because they're blue-moon, why get something that's very rare when you cam get a sure thing? When they become more common, by then it was as if you were without a skill for a long time.

I figure a simple x2 should shape them up, although if we want more complex we could have it be two stats added together percentage chance instead.

I think 1.5 would be better. x2 seems a bit extreme to me.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2014, 06:59:44 pm »

Weapon rank bonuses seem nice. The games had that S-rank bonus.
I wouldn't start the bonuses until rank B though.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2014, 07:03:06 pm »

Rounding up or down if 1.5x? Typical is to round down, I believe.

I suggested 2x because it's simple to math for and at max has a bit over a coin flip's chance to work. By then you're a promote though, and rather deserve it in my opinion. But with some effects I can see it as strong, but with adept it is a cost skill.

Nothing says it can't be adjusted higher or lower as it is put into play though, and 1.5x seems like a good starting point.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2014, 07:06:39 pm »

Well, once a consensus has been come to on OPilums (And it looks like we pretty much have), we can do a new poll for rate boosting for percentile based skills, just to make sure we have consensus.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 300