Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Duke Knight's Momentum is up for revision? Which version of the skill would you prefer?

Current one, unchanged.
+4 AS and +5 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+2 AS and +3 DMG on Player Phase, with additional +2 AS and +2 DMG when moving 4 spaces or more.
+1 AS and +1.5 DMG for each space moved up to 4 spaces.
Current one but AS bonus is converted to DR from the end of the Player Phase until the next one.
I don't know but I want to see the results.

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 300

Author Topic: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! 10 Years of FEF!  (Read 282100 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The Fire Emblem on Forums Hub! FEF2 HAS FINISHED!
« Reply #3585 on: March 25, 2017, 04:25:02 pm »

if it bites you and you die it's venomous not poisonous
If you post it and I don't care it's exactly this post :P
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 26, 2017, 10:50:35 am »

If you post it and I don't care it's every single post you have ever made :P
Black lives matter.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 26, 2017, 03:42:17 pm »

NEWS FLASH: BMM42 will be an extra channel Operator of #feftalk to handle things better when I'm asleep/at work and CrickEt ain't paying attention due to his own work stuff. This is due to increased traffic in recent weeks, kthxbai v;
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: March 26, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »

Gratz on the promotion, Blade...?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 30, 2017, 09:53:48 pm »

So some discussion came up on the viability and tactical use of Rescue, and it occurred to me for the first time that its absolute garbage. Facts:

1. Rescuing a Unit halves two of your stats (unless you take a special Character Skill to make it viable), making you a significant target and making the likelihood that you'll join your rescuee in death (basically the main thing Rescue is used to deal with) very high.
2. Rescuing a Unit ties up at least two characters for one turn (the rescue drop scenario) or two characters for multiple turns (anything that's not that). With a time investment like that, a stat penalty is unnecessary at best, and detrimental at worse.
3. Two points is plenty.

My suggestion is that we drop the stat penalty on Rescuing (and Savior since this makes that worthless) and just let people Rescue anyone they want without further penalties.

But Blade, wouldn't that make rescuing too powerful?

Not by half. It just makes it viable. It would also encourage more sensible behavior on the battlefield.

Say you have a one tile choke. A mage got in front, and a knight right behind them. The mage goes down. Under the penalized rescue system, the knight can't rescue the mage without becoming much more vulnerable and be unlikely to respond to threats effectively. So the knight doesn't do this, and instead turtles aggressively while the rest of the party passes them medicine so they can occasionally heal the mage to stop them from hitting the death counter limit. Not great.

If the knight can safely rescue, however, he could hoist the mage one turn, operate for an EP without having his speed and skill halved, then drop him behind him where the healer can reach. The knight is tied up for two turns, and isn't attacking, but things get done.

TLDR: nix Rescue penalties and we can avoid vuln dancing quite as often.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 30, 2017, 09:57:39 pm »

I think that there should be some limits on it. I think as long as aid is greater or equal to their base con they should be able to rescue. So a tiny mage can't rescue a giant armored unit but mounts are less of an issue at that point.

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:20 pm »

I agree that mounts are a pretty big problem when it comes to rescuing as it is (the handbook makes it impossible to rescue cavaliers) and think that swordstar's solution is probably the best way to go about it without making a lot of complicated changes. Such as how aid is calculated.
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 30, 2017, 10:10:09 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I think the Con/Aid system (while perhaps numerically bloated) is fine, and we shouldn't be letting people rescue just anyone. I'm just saying they shouldn't have a couple of their stats fall into the toilet when they do it, that's all.

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 30, 2017, 10:12:59 pm »

Yeah I agree with that part. I'm just saying how to make mounts less of a problem with your version

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31:54 pm »

Calling CON bloated completely ignores the role it plays in determining Attack Speed, so unless you want to drop all weapon weight by three or four points as well... :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3595 on: March 31, 2017, 12:17:34 am »

Having grokked that handbook more than I would have liked to (speaking of the FEF calculator, I haven't touched it in a month or two, apologies) I can say that more than just mechanics could use improvement.

My main complaint is formatting. A lot of key information is crunched into descriptive paragraphs, which is all fine and good when you're a beginner, but as a reference book it's difficult to use efficiently in the electronic format. If I wanted to print the whole thing it would be 100 pages so I made my own version of the pdf that has all the summary pages on them, which is where all the key information is when it comes to running battles, some of which is found nowhere else in the book or is easy to accidentally skim over.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:20:00 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3596 on: March 31, 2017, 12:19:08 am »

Yeah, it could definitely use some sort of condensed version.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 31, 2017, 01:38:42 am »

Gun, you can't just say that and then not link it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like a look. :P

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 31, 2017, 01:41:37 am »

Calling CON bloated completely ignores the role it plays in determining Attack Speed, so unless you want to drop all weapon weight by three or four points as well... :P

I'm pretty sure Blade's specifically referring to con in regard to mount con and the difficulties of rescuing mounted units.
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:12 am »

* SC shrugs

That does work a little weird, but if that's what he meant that's what he should've said. He doesn't mention mounted units at all in either his original post on the subject or in the second.

Although speaking of his idea, maybe instead of ditching it Savior could be reworked to make it where Rescuing is a free action instead of taking up a turn. That way you can Rescue + Drop (since that would still be a whole action) in one turn or Rescue and attack or move or whatever.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 300