Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: The Videogames Industry Sucks: Rant About the Decline of the Videogame Industry  (Read 24308 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey I am still on a high from not being the "villain" of the thread for once.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey I am still on a high from not being the "villain" of the thread for once.

My only purpose in the world is to bring joy to others.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Bay12ers: we're mostly nice, but get us on a subject and by god we will argue for as long as it takes.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, opinions are so problematic aren't they.

I mean the problem with the industry is the same now as it was the last time a thread like this was made, and the one before that etc.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean the problem with the industry is the same now as it was the last time a thread like this was made, and the one before that etc.

Fresh blood comes in, holds similar opinions. The thread dies, most forget about it and go on. A new thread spikes a shovel in its corpse and looses its grip, Rambo hair blowing in the morning wind, ready for a new day.

It's not a big deal.

The idea that we can affect the game industry like this is humorous, so it's no surprise the problems are the same. I suspect most are simply here to vent, not interested in the work required to affect change (which is to say, somehow closing millions of wallets worldwide).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:57:34 pm by freeformschooler »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Aha! I have an ingenious plan! We steal ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD! That way EA & co. cannot get money.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fresh blood comes in, holds similar opinions. The thread dies, most forget about it and go on. A new thread spikes a shovel in its corpse and looses its grip, Rambo hair blowing in the morning wind, ready for a new day.

It's not a big deal.

The idea that we can affect the game industry like this is humorous, so it's no surprise the problems are the same. I suspect most are simply here to vent, not interested in the work required to affect change (which is to say, somehow closing millions of wallets worldwide).

Of course we can't change the gaming industry. Even a billionaire would have no power. The interesting thing about the masses is that its not just their numbers but the fact that their wallets refill that gives them power. Even a trillion dollars would eventually run out for making good games and the popular games would resurge.

In fact to change the industry we'd have to change society generally. Hell the government can't get kids to care about school that shapes their future earning potential, much less get them to put thought into their video games or recreational reading or music listening.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

Also, to touch on indie games... the large number of platformers is largely due to how much easier it is for a small team (or one person) to make a platformer using the many existing engines than making a 3D or more complex game. The simple graphic styles are also typically a product of necessity, though many do like the pixel art style. I'd also say that's it's very possible for a game to be graphically unimpressive but still have a good aesthetic, and that games that try to look realistic typically appear dated in a few years (even as graphics advancement does slow down).
I would also attribute some to nostalgia.  I'm pretty sure I remember from when I was watching Indie Game: The Movie (Documentary about the development of Braid, Super Meat Boy, and Fez) and I'm pretty sure I remember at least the Meat Boy guys saying that they wanted to make the kind of games they would have fanboyed super hard over as kids.

Big list
I have nnnnno idea what this is supposed to mean.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

I think the one thing we can all take away from this thread is that:

"Ronin was completely right and games are terrible".

My evidence being that there's 12 pages of people that think arguing about whether they do or do not suck or eating imaginary popcorn is more fun than PLAYING games.

Or in graph form:

!!Science!!

Also I'd like to cite Ronin's Law "All peoples who disagree with Ronin are most definitely wrong and any law that interferes with the application or validity of this law is nullified, no take backs, no reverses."
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:41:25 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As people used to, and probably still do, say on mmorpg.com:

Forum pvp best pvp.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My evidence being that there's 12 pages of people that think arguing about whether they do or do not suck or eating imaginary popcorn is more fun than PLAYING games.

That there are people willing to do that kind of arguing for pages and pages doesn't necessarily speak to whether they were enjoying it, so much as whether they were under the impression that it would be possible to "win" the argument which they had engaged in, and that doing so would have positive rather than negative consequences.

Your post indicates that you seem to be one of them.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

"Ronin was completely right and games are terrible".

JOKE'S ON YOU. I WAS PLAYING SPACE STATION 13, URIST MCSTATION THE WHOLE TIME I WAS POSTING HERE.

VIDEOGAMES RULLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That there are people willing to do that kind of arguing for pages and pages doesn't necessarily speak to whether they were enjoying it, so much as whether they were under the impression that it would be possible to "win" the argument which they had engaged in, and that doing so would have positive rather than negative consequences.

Now one thinks they have or could win this argument. His comments about his "law" are clearly intended to mark his post as funsies only.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile

RONIN'S LAW 8)!

You can't argue with internet laws...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a few genres that just DIED in the modern day.

Heck even First Person Shooters that aren't Military shooters have suffered quite a bit, with Halo being sort of being the outlier (and it has become REALLY military shooter after the first game)

Real Time Strategies have been really struggling after Westwood just stopped being good at making them. I think Company of Heroes is like... the only one left.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:32:45 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15