Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 90

Author Topic: BoundWorlds: An action-adventure game with an insanely powerful level editor  (Read 142863 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: BoundWorlds Reborn (Open alpha)
« Reply #510 on: November 30, 2017, 05:34:45 pm »

Ooh, item techniques will make the Batelier project way easier. Also, ugh, what a waste of time on those skills with transforming.

You should be able to copy and paste the relevant skill into an item, so it's not a total loss.

Worth mentioning: Inventories are associated with a sprite.  If you change bodies, you'll leave your items back in the old body.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 30, 2017, 07:31:08 pm »

If keepsakes let you return to different time and space points, will it be possible to use one as a gate from the main menu? Letting the player warp back to a world with a keepsake (from the main menu and not in worlds for preference) might be neat.

Edit: Wait, the lore says that the form of the body reflects the soul, but also that not all monsters are evil, and that people who wander too much become monsters. So A. why do bats/spiders reflect bitter and detachedness? B. Is it traveling through worlds that makes people detached and bitter, and does it occur to all people, or just some people? C. If monsters do reflect evil (for reasons I still don't understand) why are some people not evil? And lastly, for now (because I have to overthink things), D.If people don't become monsters, do they become detached and bitter? How closely is all of this linked?

Edit: The distance you can move upwards when at the top of a latter might be better if it was slightly higher. Entering a floor on a one ladder up tile can be kind of tricky.

Oh, right, and I fixed my dungeon.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:50:50 pm by Kamani »
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 01, 2017, 01:08:40 am »

Really heckling for details, eh?   ;)

Of course the canon's pretty loose and open for interpretation, but the general gist I was going for is this:

Anyone who passes through the Void takes on their "true form", which for you (the player) means you can't take a transformation from one world to another, but in a more elaborate sense is the form that reflects the way the person thinks of themselves.

As people travel between worlds and return to earlier times, they become more aware that their actions don't have meaning or permanence.  This causes them to grow more and more detached from their humanity or social responsibility (like Flowey or Rick).  Eventually they stop thinking of themselves as human so the "true form" they take when passing through the Void reflects what they now think of themselves.  Not all become monsters; the details depend on the individual.

Part of the implication is that holding on to keepsakes can protect one from detachment and transformation, since it gives world-travelers something to attach to outside of themselves.

Why bats or spiders?  Well, spiders are solitary, venomous creatures that crawl on "webs", which is a good symbolic representation of someone who travels from world to world alone and hates company...and maybe is aware that the "web" is made by people?  Bats are social cave-dwellers and can represent those who formed a "community" among other transformed people but are still detached from their humanity.  And both are creatures people are known to be afraid of and reflect the way they think of "evil".

(Actually, the truth is they just happen to be two kinds of monsters people expect to see in a game and I haven't gotten around to making more.  It's not that important.  I guess there needs to be a more basic, generic enemy type too.)

Some can become friendly later because they have character development that make them become aware that even if their actions don't have "real" consequence, sometimes it's important to be good to others because it's good for your well-being (which will be a major theme of my stories at least; I enjoy "counter-nihilistic" philosophies).  But they've been transformed for so long that they still think of themselves as giant spiders. :P

Or maybe some weren't human to begin with... monsters can have children, so what are they?

It's all pretty loose canon, feel free to play with it, add to it, or contradict it as you like.

I guess I will make better ways of locating a world you have been to before.  Using items as transporters could work, though the details need to be worked out.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2017, 01:22:45 am »

Okay, that explains the monsters much better. The monsters I am focusing on as characters are largely people who didn't think of themselves as human (I've always liked the concept), so they took on another form that they preferred, and their transformations had nothing to do with becoming detached (ugh, I can't spell this word. Thank gosh for spell check...). No nihilism here.
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 01, 2017, 02:24:51 am »

Cool idea.

By the way, it might be a good idea to tag your public gates.  It doesn't matter much now because there aren't enough worlds to find appropriate end-points for all gates, so unspecified gates are basically random, but later on the system will try to automatically link appropriate gates together.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 01, 2017, 02:26:05 am »

I’ll do so (admittedly, I only have one right now, but it is something.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 01, 2017, 04:21:48 am »

I added an option to display an object's title above its dialogue boxes, under the "dialogue boxes" section.  The style of the title will be based on the sprite's default text box styling; changing the text styles in Display events will not affect the title's style.

This will suffice for simple dialogue.  For more complex functions that involve dialogue among multiple characters, you'll need to assign a target for each Display event to specify which sprite is "talking".  You can do this using the standard method of setting _room variables in the sprite's _create event.

You can also change the title text that appears - for example, if you learn the name of a character - by setting the target sprite's _title variable.  When setting a text variable such as this, you will need to enclose the string in "quotes".

I also made the reply boxes use the player sprite's text box style, for better consistency.

By the way, in case you are wondering how to make semi-transparent text boxes, you can do this by using rgba values - for example, rgba(0,0,0,0.5) for semi-transparent black - in the color selector.  Dialogue box color selectors actually set the HTML "color" and "background" property of the dialogue boxes directly, so you can play around with this if you know HTML. :)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 01, 2017, 12:36:03 pm »

Great timing! I was just making a project with two speaking people, so it was really hard to tell who was talking.

Daren Kazzarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 01, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »

So I messed around a bit with the package system and i think i got it down now. Just two things.
1) When i create a package from an open package editor and try to add a tille map to the nested package, the tillemap seems to just disapear.
2) Is it possible to add a pure image file to a package? aka I want to share my item images in the same package with the tilesets they were made for, but am to lazy to make objects for each of them.
Also, shouldn't there be descriptions in the import package dialoge?

Whisperling, made you some proper teleportation platforms. They are curently in the 'Temple Images' package.

Funfact: For the longest time i thought that the tiles would be displayed twice as big as they are and designed them accordingly, now i know better, but still add pointlesly small details. Also coming to the conclusion that 6 colors might not be enough for my whole color scheme but it is an interesting exersize.
Feel free to tell me if i mess up your language.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2017, 07:25:50 pm »

1. If an exit has no tags, will it connect with any world, regardless of if that world has tags?
2. Can a second tag section be added that includes tags to avoid? My current dungeon doesn't exit to the same place it enters (because at the end, you can only leave from a different door than the entrance), so I don't want people to end up stuck with that if that isn't something desirable in a world.

Edit: More jump issues. If you hold jump, then you will sometimes over death pit tiles (I managed it quite a bit in Treasure Dungeon, letting me just hold jump over the pit for like 16 seconds before I died).
Also, did combat stats change? Suddenly my pretty easy boss in impossible.

Edit: Oh, right, on the player species thing, what would a random individual be likely to think they are?

Edit: Oh, and another thing: can a zoom out thing be added to the editor? It can be kind of tough to get a grip on larger rooms.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:18:56 pm by Kamani »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2017, 10:51:20 pm »

I mean without knowing any lore prior, you'd probably assume the player avatar is a human.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 01, 2017, 11:33:47 pm »

Eh, I don’t know what other groups of people exist, and they are half height of most humans, so maybe another wanderer between worlds would think they are a dwarf or gnome or something. For all I know, those are canon.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 02, 2017, 12:02:27 am »

I mean without having seen any other humanoid sprites, one would assume that it is simply stylized as a cartoonish human. Not saying you're wrong, but there's really nothing dwarvish or gnomish about the avatar right now.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 02, 2017, 12:03:36 am »

Eh, I guess, but the old player model was twice as tall, so...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 02, 2017, 01:57:05 am »

Eh, I guess, but the old player model was twice as tall, so...

Haha, well maybe then? Idk, I wasn't around for that!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 90