Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 79103 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2014, 01:44:29 pm »

Hardly surprising. This deal was in the pipelines (lol) for years. Still, Russia is only exporting a tiny fraction of the volume it sends to Europe. Still a win/win overall I'd say. 

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2014, 02:17:14 pm »

Interesting that the price is being kept secret, though.  We know that Russia wanted China to match the prices that Europe was paying, and China wanted a significant discount since, among other things, they already are getting cheaper gas from Turkmenistan.  Even as late as earlier this week, there was still talk about these latest talks were on the verge of falling through just like all of the others because of the matter of price.  I wonder if Russia or China blinked first, given how the ongoing situation in Ukraine and Russian threats to cut the flow westward were steadily undermining Russia's bargaining position in the matter. 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »

That does seem to be the $400 billion dollar question. Putin has stated that the price is pegged to the price of oil, like their European contracts, but that doesn't mean that it's the same *ratio* of price.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2014, 06:07:42 pm »

The Shanxi coal business is certainly hard hit lately. You've got mining engineers not being paid for 3 months. Slowdown, mostly, but this kinda deal isn't any better news.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2014, 07:24:37 pm »

Am I right in thinking this Russia China deal represents about 7% of the amount of natural gas russia sells to Europe?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »

Am I right in thinking this Russia China deal represents about 7% of the amount of natural gas russia sells to Europe?
It's certainly my impression. Not very helpful then beyond the symbolism of it, since Russia is hilariously dependent on Oil profit to remain in the black, and Europe suddenly up and going cold turkey would initiate self-destruct sequence.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »

According to this, Europe imports 130 billion m³ Russian gas per year and Turkey 40 billion, China will get 38. Also the gas China will get will have to come from eastern Siberia, not from western Siberia where the gas that goes to Europe comes from, because of the pipeline infrastructure. So it's not a big deal for Europe, certainly not a problem in the near future.

Also Russia only gets about 350 dollar per 1000 m³ from China, not the 400 they wanted initially, while Germany currently pays about 365. So it seems to be symbolic on Russia's part indeed (they also need to build the pipelines, which makes the deal less profitable for them), while the Chinese made a good deal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:25:57 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2014, 03:39:53 am »

Spoiler: heh (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2014, 03:56:12 am »

Well, pipelines aren't built overnight. I think it's safe to assume that over time China will gobble more and more Russian gas. As the European are moving away from Russian gas anyway, they need a new market.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:22 am »

...and now Thailand's army has decided to coup the government. Expected?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2014, 07:50:53 am »

Clearly they shall all be imprisoned for criticising the king's authority.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:53:49 am by Propman »
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2014, 10:19:48 am »

Well, pipelines aren't built overnight. I think it's safe to assume that over time China will gobble more and more Russian gas.

Is that a safe assumption in an era of declining solar prices?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »

Well, pipelines aren't built overnight. I think it's safe to assume that over time China will gobble more and more Russian gas.

In the forseeable future probably yes, though it depends what the gas is used for.
If it is used for heating or as fuel it is way more convenient to use, also there are some industrial uses for it, if it is used to generate electrical power, it is much more replaceable.
Usage varies from country to country, for example Germany depends on gas for heating, but only gets 10% of it's electricity from gas, while it's 50% in Russia.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »

China's power consumption is massive, and in case of a major shift to renewables, then gas will be needed even more, in order stabilize the grid.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2014, 01:25:26 pm »

China's power consumption is massive, and in case of a major shift to renewables, then gas will be needed even more, in order stabilize the grid.
China is like a gigantic ravenous tortoise.  Considering that they are still consuming tons of coal.  (Though I guess they may be slowing down on that... slowly.)

...and now Thailand's army has decided to coup the government. Expected?
I find it kinda hilarious that RedKing posted about this just a few days ago...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40