Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 40

Author Topic: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread  (Read 79086 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: RedKing's East Asian Politics Megathread
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2015, 12:13:09 pm »

... from what I recall from discussion on the subject, the article kinda' overstates things, at least regarding the legal aspect. Problem seems to be primarily corruption rather than something wrong with the laws. When things actually work like they're supposed to, the second-hit folks get nailed with murder charges (which, y'know, can come with the death penalty). When they don't, well...

Other side of it seems to be that to a degree it's a problem that china finds to be most economical to just... let go. Letting people get away with the occasional murder costs the state less than preventing it, and so that's what happens. Murder trial costs more than a funeral :-\

Also not exactly a strictly chinese issue. Same sort of behavior pops up anywhere where similar incentives exist -- we've seen roughly same thing coming out of the US police force, ferex, because it's easier for some precincts to deal with a dead person than someone alive and suing. Every so often you get to hear about the cops sitting around or holding off calling/preventing medical help, letting someone bleed out, just to avoid the bureaucratic issues involved with a living person. That kind of "social malignancy" is fairly universal, heh. China's just get several metric fucktons of people, so it's a bit more visible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »

...Every so often you get to hear about the cops sitting around or holding off calling/preventing medical help, letting someone bleed out, just to avoid the bureaucratic issues involved with a living person...
Strangely enough, those incidents from the Abusive Policing thread were the first thing that popped into my mind while reading the article. Fresh culprits trying desperately to get rid of evidence, witnesses, plaintiffs, at any cost. "Out, damn'd spot! Out, I say!"

Local malignancies may vary, but the Grand Universal Malignancy is that human life does indeed have a de facto price, and that price is heart-breakingly cheap in most instances.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2015, 06:47:07 pm »

In much drier news, here's a great article on why the Singaporean mandatory pension system isn't a very good deal for the pensioners. It's a much more engrossing read than you'd think.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2015, 07:07:36 pm »

In much drier news, here's a great article on why the Singaporean mandatory pension system isn't a very good deal for the pensioners. It's a much more engrossing read than you'd think.
Could be big for the SE country that prides itself on its incorruptibility being corrupt

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2015, 07:03:23 am »

Could be big for the SE country that prides itself on its incorruptibility being corrupt
What they need is more authoritarianism and less transparency. Democracy bad, corruption worse, hierarchy good, oligarchy better! They'll soon be as incorruptible as the Russians or the Chinese!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »

What they need is more authoritarianism and less transparency. Democracy bad, corruption worse, hierarchy good, oligarchy better! They'll soon be as incorruptible as the Russians or the Chinese!
Chewing gum licenses m8

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2015, 07:48:33 pm »

Caning gays and gum chewers make economy stronger! This is fact, look at Singapore!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:39 pm »

Strong like bamboo cane

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 29, 2015, 04:49:13 pm »

thread revival with some news out of china. they have lifted the one child policy.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/10/29/452790764/one-child-no-more-china-ends-decades-old-restriction

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 29, 2015, 04:54:34 pm »

Woo, yeah! Let the world burn! 4 billion Chinese by 2050, hell, let's make it 5!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:39 pm »

You say that like you thought it was possible for a ball of tar dunked in gasoline to not find some way to ignite. Besides, they still aren't allowing for growth, just replacement.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2015, 05:04:40 pm »

Not even replacement actually.  Just a slower decline.  A lot of Chinese people aren't going to have a second child anyway and two thirds of the population was already exempt.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 29, 2015, 05:21:38 pm »

Exactly. This has been on the way for a long time, and popular resentment had begun to brew as many of the "noveau riche" had taken to flaunting their extra children as a status symbol -- the fine levied for an extra child was exorbitant if you were a rural peasant, but not that big a deal (a few thousand dollars) if you were one of the urban elite.

I wouldn't exactly agree with the "two thirds already exempt" bit, but there were exemptions for the various non-Han ethnic groups in China (which are only about 8% of the total population). The other exemption allowed to many was a second child if the first was a female (enacted in part to prevent mass infanticde of girls and that was only since 2007). There was also a provincial-level decision made in 2007 (2011 in Henan) that if both parents were only children, the couple could have a second child.

In 2014, Zhejiang allowed for a 2nd child if even ONE parent was an only child, and since then all the provinces except Tibet and Xinjiang have followed suit (where large portions of the population are non-Han and thus not subject to the policy anyways).

What they've found is that a lot of people aren't option for a 2nd child even if allowed, because damn -- kids are mad expensive, yo.

There's also a looming demographic bulge created by the one-child policy. It's been in place for 35 years, and if you think of it as an "anti-baby boom", the repercussions are apparent. You have a large segment of the population born prior to 1980 which are hitting middle and old age, and a considerably smaller proportion of young people in China to work and pay taxes and to support all those old Chinese.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2015, 05:33:07 pm »

There was also a provincial-level decision made in 2007 (2011 in Henan) that if both parents were only children, the couple could have a second child.

I thought that was nation wide?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2015, 05:43:52 pm »

Aw yeah, China will have the manpower to send colonists through space
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 40