Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35

Author Topic: Vanaard Corp Mistakes: A minimalISH mutation-happy RTD  (Read 50855 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Vanaard Corp Mistakes: A minimalISH mutation-happy RTD
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2014, 04:41:33 am »

The reason I dislike the 1d6 because it handles modifiers bad, I've used it multiple times, and it's been used by a large number of RTDs. In my Westlands RTD, for example, I've used percentages to get bonuses to try to fit a slightly more complex skill and attribute bonuses into the system, which was bad. I've also used it at the very least in my last two, not-utter-failure RTDs, namely RTD of the Dragon and the previously named Westlands. I neither find it elegant, nor do I particularly prefer simple. Ease to comprehend is a reasonable thing that I will admit exists, iconic carries baggage and age I may or may not be interested in. In general, I am just plain uninterested in using it again until I have at least experienced other potential dice.

While 20 may be the only point where something becomes "critical" (in reality, it's mostly just an exclamation mark), in combat 19 and 18 are almost always going to be exactly same in damage (even with guns, which can do 1-4 damage, the only case where it would not be true is a gun that does 1d10 damage), so the critical argument does not really work for combat. Outside of combat, a 20 will make me bend slightly to the player's will regardless of minor complications, but will still ultimately be somewhat the same as a 19 or 18: Something is impossible, it remains impossible. Something intensely difficult, still generally succeeds enough if given those rolls. In general, assume 18-20 is about the same result.

As for the 11, you need to remember that that's equivalent to around a 4 on a 1d6. With the roll system I am using, with ~4 being a minor success (and 6 instead being an epic success), the 4 would also might as well be a failure. The 1 damage you do on 10-13 would still be 1 damage on a 4. And I don't actually see the problem with boundaries and gradients you express, seeing as I very arbitrarily decide a lot of the time, and with combat attacks are generally a couple points (1-4 so far) of damage and the difference between a 1d6 and a 1d20 becomes negligible, especially with how arbitrary this RTD is, with minor technicalities.

Once again, I state, the problem is not in the dice, it is how I handle the roll result. If you want to pick out a problem with the game's roll results, with the game being arbitrary and having no solid "boundaries" of success you don't at the dice size, you look at the GM. I stress this. I could easily assume an 11 is a fantastic success, or even a failure: It's not the dice's fault.

As for the combat, sure, that's an actual problem. I can make it more lethal. It's probably going to be somewhat irritating if several players die from instakills with guns in quick succession when just moderately low on health during future combat as a result, though. But if it's really what everyone wants, then I can go ahead and handle most weapons with far more lethality.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:45:02 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2014, 08:10:09 am »

Grab the biting scientist by the throat, get him off of me, then shoot him in the face
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2014, 08:45:28 am »

Leap onto scientist 4 and tear his throat out too.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2014, 12:32:28 pm »

Attack Scientist 4 with my baton.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Wade Wilson

• Bay Watcher
  • My common sense is Tingling
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2014, 01:34:15 pm »

Make my way back to the group

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »

Turn 28+1/3: Because 75% of the group neither provided opinions nor provided anything on whether this was a good idea or not, I'm now going to do it anyway, and I will now temporarily completely ignore any complaints on the matter. You all had your chance.

On another note, people complaining about the lack of lethality of this game? The RNG promptly gives you high rolls. Indeed, there are 2 20s and a 19 in this turn alone. Irony.

Kill him.
[9]: You charge at the scientist, stumbling on a corpse and hitting your face on the ground. As you look up, you notice your knife in his chest. Well, somehow you managed to not totally mess it up. He looks dead.

Which is good because otherwise he probably would've killed you in your near death state.

Kick Infected Guard 1 in the everything until he dies.
[20!]: As if tempting fate by complaining combat isn't lethal enough, you kick the guard in his chest and the body part explodes into gore, an unrecognizable mess.

Be bored, wait for the other to finish killing the enemies. Also shoot Scientist 5.
((Scientist 5? You can't see him. I'm going to assume you meant scientist 4))

[19]: In your bored state, you turn your gun onto scientist 4 and fire a burst, striking every single shot on her.

She is now quite seriously injured. Also, your gun is about halfway depleted.

Grab the biting scientist by the throat, get him off of me, then shoot him in the face
[11]: You desperately grab the scientist off you and fire at her point blank. You do a somewhat poor job at doing so, nearly missing, but the shot does hurt her quite a bit. She probably could die to a strong gust of wind.

Leap onto scientist 4 and tear his throat out too.
[20!]: Do I need to explain what happens? Oh, okay. You leap onto scientist 4 and before you even bite down on her she crumples onto the ground, dead. Your mere jumping killed her.

Attack Scientist 4 with my baton.
[15]: Dammit, people stole your kill. How unfair. You swing your baton in the air once or twice in silent anger. Nobody notices.

And with that, combat is over and regular turns will resume next turn.

Everyone in Sub-section C Primary:
After a quick searching around, besides what's on the dead NPCs you will be able to find the following things: A Level 2 Security-class Security card and pretty damaged body armor on the Heavy Pistol guard sergeant's body, a Pistol with half a clip in it and no extra clips but another Level 1 Security-class Security card along with destroyed body armor on another dead guard, two first-aid kits on the wall, and a large amount of miscellaneous items on dead scientists; if you want to know if they have something, you should ask me, because really you guys probably have a better idea of what you desire.

Items on the ground:
Level 2 Security-class Security card.
Level 1 Security-class Security card.
Heavily Damaged Body Armor.
Ruined Body Armor.
Colter Pistol (half ammo).
2 First Aid kits (5/5 uses).

Spoiler: TamerVirus-Jimbo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lenglon-Erin (click to show/hide)

Hostiles:
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Scientist 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Infected Guard 1 (click to show/hide)

Relating to location and the building you are in:
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2014, 03:48:04 pm »

back away from the crawler, and once at a reasonably safe distance sit down and wrap my arms around my legs and my wings around my entire body.
"Owowowowowowowowowowowowowowow"
wait for healing and listen to what I can hear around me with my enhanced hearing. focus on what's on the other side of the large closed door.
missed me?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

blazing glory

« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »

Go to portion B hub.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 18, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »

missed me?
No, I think you instead missed what I said the at the very top of the turn before and the very top of this turn, unless for some reason you consider your action some kind of combat action.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:31 pm »

missed me?
No, I think you instead missed what I said the at the very top of the turn before and the very top of this turn, unless for some reason you consider your action some kind of combat action.
((ah, yes, I did miss that.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 18, 2014, 07:07:15 pm »

"Well... Perhaps, an introduction is needed? I'm Alexander von Viggt, your fellow researcher. Not that it matters anymore, of course. Quite happy to make acquaintances with mostly sane mutated persons."
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:33 am »

"I'm Elsa Quincy. I also like to do science."

Take the Level 2 Security Card!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2014, 08:30:52 am »

Grab a fist aid kit for later
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 19, 2014, 11:14:38 am »

Take heavily damaged body armor.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2014, 04:14:00 pm »

Turn 29: I was kinda waiting for two more actions, but if two people don't want actions, I guess it's okay.

back away from the crawler, and once at a reasonably safe distance sit down and wrap my arms around my legs and my wings around my entire body.
"Owowowowowowowowowowowowowowow"
wait for healing and listen to what I can hear around me with my enhanced hearing. focus on what's on the other side of the large closed door.
[10]: You back away from the crawler, but you quickly notice Starn almost seemingly accidentally killing the scientist.

You then focus on the door and... nothing. Obviously, the large door muffles sound from the other side, but you're also not very attentive, and Starn is fumbling with the door. You at least get the gist that there are no grenades going off on the other side or anything like that. But really, who would be using explosives in enclosed spaces?

Nobody comes to heal you.

Make my way back to the group
[8]: You make your way back to the group. The enemies are dead by the time you get back, thanks to the time bubble around them.

You also see the loot they see.

Go to portion B hub.
[19]: The door is closed and locked. Oh well, this is easy. You swipe your card in the card reader and promptly... wait. The door does not open. The card reader beeps at you and shows "Level 2 Security-class Security card required: Consult your sergeant."

Blast, this seems familliar. Maybe you can find the card off of the corpse in this hallway, or perhaps back inside the Sub-section C Primary.

"I'm Elsa Quincy. I also like to do science."

Take the Level 2 Security Card!
[1!]: As you take the card, you get a paper cut. On a plastic card. With a hand of gelatinous mass.

It is truly the most stunning achievement on injuring yourself you have ever had.

Gained Items:
Level 2 Security-class Security card.

Grab a fist aid kit for later
[18]: You grab the first aid kit so fantastically that nobody even notices. Truly you are a master of grabbing things. Unlike papercut over there, who can barely pick up a plastic card without injuring herself.

You regenerate.

Gained Items:
First Aid kit (5/5 uses).

Take heavily damaged body armor.
[15]: You take the body armor. It's got cuts and holes all over the place, so barring a very unlucky hit it's not going to protect against much.

Gained Items:
Heavily Damaged Body Armor.

Spoiler: TamerVirus-Jimbo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lenglon-Erin (click to show/hide)

Relating to location and the building you are in:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 35