Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29

Author Topic: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode  (Read 77733 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Gnomes☼ - Everything Gnome Mode
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »

Gears are made in a craftsgnomes workshop. Heavy pistons are made in a forge under trap components. Only a metal or rock piston will work.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2014, 03:53:27 am »

I noticed that nature really, really hates me (-39,000 at one point). Could it be because I caged so many creatures? Had a gnome die?

Related to this, when I went to release some creatures into the wild to help my rating, I assigned them to a pasture on the Nature Shrine. After the gnome released them, another gnome came along and put the animal back on the pasture again, despite it being a wild animal at this point.

This isn't the worst part.

When I tried to unassigned the creatures to the pasture while the gnome was leading it there, the gnome started spamming "cant do X, handing dangerous creature.". I had to make some cages for them to put the wild animals in for them to stop spamming error messages, then build the cages, connect to a lever and release them that way. This only happened if the gnome hadn't put the animal on the pasture yet and I unassigned the animal to the pasture.

Keeping creatures in cages is probably the problem.  This causes you to lose points where you would otherwise be gaining points.

While the continuously pasturing animals bug is known, removing them from the pasture is usually enough to fix it.  I've never seen that particular bug.  Do you know how to replicate it?  Edit: never mind, I see what happened.  I'll see if I can fix it.

sorry, i meant before the arc furnace.  it's a long grind to get up to it, i wrote the pipes and sawblade thinking about getting the blocks to make walls within the first year

It's supposed to be a long grind to produce the arc furnace (once you get it running it can process metal far faster than the ore processor), but this can be greatly alleviated if you take some metal with you (I strongly advise bringing along some copper and nickel bars).  Perhaps the dynamo could be added as an item that comes in a crate though, since it's so important for a metal based industry.
OK, this seismic telegraph thing has me stumped.

In the Clawedgears tutorial fortress, the narrator mentions using "a few of the mechanisms" to build a seismic telegraph.  How?

In the Gnome Manual that ships with MWDF, the *Buildings* page says it requires "1 Metal bar, 4 Mechanisms, 8 Gears".  I can't figure out how to make gears, either.

If you actually try to build one in-game (b w Alt-q) it says "Needs heavy rock piston".  I've looked through most of the workshops I can make for an option to make a rock piston, and can't find one.

That line in the manual is out of date.  It's just a metal piston and a bunch of mechanisms now.  Pistons are made in the forge under trap components.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2014, 04:06:41 am »

The "fixes" I posted make rocket boots actually work now.

And...OMG

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2014, 07:52:45 am »

Heavy pistons are made in a forge under trap components. Only a metal or rock piston will work.

... and you can't actually make a rock piston, right?

I seem to have elfed myself into a corner here -- I only brought 2 nickel bars and an anvil with me on embark, and I haven't found a single speck of metallic ore yet.  If this were a vanilla Dwarf Fortress, I'd think "OK, fine, the caravan will bring me some metal". But with Gnomes it seems to be a bit of a catch-22.  I need(?) metal to make a piston to summon the Gnomish caravan to bring me metal.

Gears are made in a craftsgnomes workshop.

I can't find them.  Which may be OK since they're not required (yet?).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2014, 08:44:32 am »

Rock just means inorganic, that is, metal or rock.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2014, 10:04:26 am »

Heavy pistons are made in a forge under trap components. Only a metal or rock piston will work.

... and you can't actually make a rock piston, right?

I seem to have elfed myself into a corner here -- I only brought 2 nickel bars and an anvil with me on embark, and I haven't found a single speck of metallic ore yet.  If this were a vanilla Dwarf Fortress, I'd think "OK, fine, the caravan will bring me some metal". But with Gnomes it seems to be a bit of a catch-22.  I need(?) metal to make a piston to summon the Gnomish caravan to bring me metal.

Gears are made in a craftsgnomes workshop.

I can't find them.  Which may be OK since they're not required (yet?).

Well, you could just wait for the Dwarf caravan instead.  They usually have metal.
Meph wants to make the gnomes regular trading partners in a near-future update, so there won't be this problem anymore.  But for now, yes, you need metal for a piston.

Gears were removed a while ago (they were supposed to be smaller mechanisms, but since it took a boulder to make one anyway they were basically pointless).  I just forgot to update the manual.

Rubicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 07:27:27 am »

Playing a fort to learn Gnomes,  decided to try and using mechanical animals as defense.

I don't have iron on site, but sources of copper and tin are plentiful. Scrambled to get a couple of lesser copper animals (Bear and Gorilla) and then produced a bronze mechanical dragon at the start of the second year.

The three of them just fought the first goblin ambush (about 8-9 gobbos with rusty weaponry)....a little disappointing to be honest. The Dragon in particular really seemed to have trouble hitting them, the combat reports were just endless "but the goblin jumps away". The gorilla is totally trashed, the bear is leaking oil and missing a few parts, the dragon is battered. Eventually they got 3 kills, and the rest fled.

I can understand the copper animals being a bit useless, they were a stop-gap against thieves, but I expected the dragon to be a bit more killy. Perhaps because it doesn't have any skills?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 07:36:46 am »

Cant you add weapons to them to give them more abilities? And I assume that you can train them, give them combat skills?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:28 am »

The mechanical animals are super tanky.

Their offensive abilities are kind of awful, though.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:53 am »

Playing a fort to learn Gnomes,  decided to try and using mechanical animals as defense.

I don't have iron on site, but sources of copper and tin are plentiful. Scrambled to get a couple of lesser copper animals (Bear and Gorilla) and then produced a bronze mechanical dragon at the start of the second year.

The three of them just fought the first goblin ambush (about 8-9 gobbos with rusty weaponry)....a little disappointing to be honest. The Dragon in particular really seemed to have trouble hitting them, the combat reports were just endless "but the goblin jumps away". The gorilla is totally trashed, the bear is leaking oil and missing a few parts, the dragon is battered. Eventually they got 3 kills, and the rest fled.

I can understand the copper animals being a bit useless, they were a stop-gap against thieves, but I expected the dragon to be a bit more killy. Perhaps because it doesn't have any skills?

The mechanical animals don't have skills by default (although you can train them at the advanced animal training area), so the dragon will fare somewhat less effectively offensively than its megabeast counterpart, unless you make it out of a good metal and/or give it a fire turret.

Making a lot of small animals may be more effective than a small number of large ones, although you'll need to make more brains and motors.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 03:10:02 pm »

I occasionally get these errors (with "Recruit wild animal" on repeat in a nature shrine, but it might be from animals entering/leaving the map for all I know):
Code: [Select]
...usernam/df/MWDF/Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/druidism.lua:2288: Cannot read field vector<unit*>.33: index out of bounds.
stack traceback:
[C]: in function '__index'
...usernam/df/MWDF/Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/druidism.lua:2288: in function 'update'
...usernam/df/MWDF/Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/druidism.lua:2291: in function <...usernam/df/MWDF/Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/druidism.lua:2291>
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Rubicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2014, 01:50:30 am »

The mechanical animals don't have skills by default (although you can train them at the advanced animal training area), so the dragon will fare somewhat less effectively offensively than its megabeast counterpart, unless you make it out of a good metal and/or give it a fire turret.

Making a lot of small animals may be more effective than a small number of large ones, although you'll need to make more brains and motors.

Cool. I had no idea they could be trained this way; I'll give it a try. (Because they come up on the "Citizens" list rather than "pets\livestock" it did not occur to me.) May be worth noting in future editions of the manual.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2014, 04:59:10 am »

Oh, and if you're going to be wanting to get much into tinkering and gadgets...workflow is an amazing plugin.

You can set it to automatically keep between X and Y of a particular thing. You can automate the entire process, as long as you're supplying bars for sheets, you can have a constant supply of everything without having to manually juggle it.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2014, 06:16:49 am »

Also, gnomes fully decked out in gadget gear are a force to be reckoned with.

At least if you use the fixed version of itemsyndromes. Those stat boosts are amazing.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2014, 06:25:28 am »

Also, gnomes fully decked out in gadget gear are a force to be reckoned with.

At least if you use the fixed version of itemsyndromes. Those stat boosts are amazing.

Did you publish a fixed version?  I'm pretty sure they used to work.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 29