Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode - Taking suggestions!  (Read 82348 times)

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Orcs☼ - Everything Orc Mode
« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2015, 04:40:14 pm »

A few more questions have surfaced, and I believe they are relevant. The most important one:

1 - Do orcs also produce 4 stone blocks from each boulder? That's relevant because the manual states that the Goblin's Stonecuter Shanty can turn a stone block back into a boulder. If you send this boulder to be cut, you can end up with a system to infinitely multiply your rocks, maybe even mineral bearing ones. Of course, this is not possible if: 1 - the orcs don't produce more than one block by boulder, and 2 - the boulder the goblin makes is different and can't be cut into blocks. If it is not the case, that's a possible exploit.

And a less important (though possibly dumb) question:

2 - Can ironbone and bloodsteel be used as normal bars on every possible interaction? If so, that would pretty much eliminate the needs for mining, as it would allow me to make a la Mordor steel fortress, that would be quite heavy metal.

I already thank this thread's moderator in advance.

Edit: as I could not find updated information about this, I will take the chance and ask it here.

3 - Are crossbows still more powerful than (simple) bows? Or they are just different, each with its own strengths and weakness? Because looking at the wiki, the arrows and bolts, the actual vectors of damage, have apparently the same statistics, like contact area and piercing potential.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 04:45:47 pm by RodriguesSting »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2015, 05:35:22 pm »

>>  Do orcs also produce 4 stone blocks from each boulder?

Yes, or 40 per 5 if you use clay at the factory

>> the manual states that the Goblin's Stonecuter Shanty can turn a stone block back into a boulder.

That's not accurate.  Not just outdated, I don't think that was ever true :P  sorry about that

>> Can ironbone and bloodsteel be used as normal bars on every possible interaction?

Yep! Including anvils.

>> Are crossbows still more powerful than (simple) bows?

The vanilla DF crossbow and bow, and bolt and arrow are about the same.  But:

* Orcish composite bow from Fletcher's specialty shop is quite good (probably getting nerfed a bit in Reborn)
* MDF has incredibly powerful crossbow variants including the mechanized crossbow; but Orcs can't obtain these very easily.
* MDF Dwarves can choose between piercing, blunt, and bodkin bolts;  Orcish arrows are generally bodkins
* Elvish greatbows and singing arrows are incredibly powerful.  Greatbow is 2Handed though.

Excluding looted gear and workshops, usually the orcs are choosing between bows and throwing weapons

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 01, 2015, 07:18:32 pm »

Do you guys have any argument for military hunting? I really see no point, specially if I chose my embark carefully. My hunters can disable most dangerous game before it even notices them, and whatever micro managing I can avoid, the better.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 01, 2015, 07:33:17 pm »

I'd prefer military hunting over actual hunters.

More control over their equipment and weapons is nice. As is not having hunters chase down creatures that are too small to butcher or you otherwise do not want them to hunt.

Plus in case of a siege you won't end up with hunters trapped outside running around in circles the second they see an enemy.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 01, 2015, 08:50:07 pm »

And will the soldiers automatically bring the corpse to the butcher, or you must build a stockpile for it?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2015, 09:02:38 pm »

Corpses need to be brought in, your military won't do it on their own.

You may need to check that outside refuse collecting is enabled, otherwise it may be ignored.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

Military hunting is preferred for large game such as dwarves ;)

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2015, 10:00:37 pm »

While I have only a single hunter, early on, I will stick to the hunting job, as I will have a lot to do to set the fort up and don't need more to worry about. When I have more people (and don't need to hunt to assure the food reserves, but rather to get materials), I will start military hunting in group (without using the Ambush bonus, hunting alone would be simply madness). That looks like the most reasonable way to set this up.

Update: An armored, melee uruk military hunting is RIDICULOUSLY powerful compared to bow hunters. Bow hunters have to bleed out even the smallest prey (because you're probably not shitting out metal arrows for that), while my uruk spearman could take out normal game and even lionmen in seconds. Maybe are the uruks who are ridiculously powerful, maybe an well equiped soldier can indeed be an extremely powerful hunter, it was just an unexpected result. Bring yourself a melee weapon and a shield for your orc embark and you will not regret it.

Now, I am always out of tallow to make tough later. What's wrong? Only the big game drops fat? Does it rot even in barrows? Should I not process it? Though it is actually possible I am cooking it. I will check it out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:07:37 pm by RodriguesSting »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 03, 2015, 01:29:24 pm »

Hunters need a few skill levels before they start being efficient, whereas a big oaf with a weapon will get the kill soon enough as long as he can catch and disable it.  Also, yeah, uruks are powerful.

I had a hunter in the tutorial fort (Ghoshash) who in the later part of the game got ahold of a looted mechanized crossbow and was sniping mastodons in the heart at 50+ tiles range :)

Dunno about your tallow, maybe you're cooking it, but it can be the limiting reagent for sure.  I don't think it rots when stored properly.  Do you have a terrier squig or condor keeping vermin out of your food piles?

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 03, 2015, 05:43:21 pm »

Hunters need a few skill levels before they start being efficient, whereas a big oaf with a weapon will get the kill soon enough as long as he can catch and disable it.  Also, yeah, uruks are powerful.

Eh, it depends. I have a talent to get utter failures, like a uruk with Melee Proficiency of 6. Not 60. 6. A run of the mill orc ended up carrying the torch (and by torch, I mean bronze toothed spear) and was the source of my fort's prosperity.

Also, this reminds me of the quite proficient axe wielding orc that got severely murdered while hunting. I think I pitted him against some snakes. I don't know, as much as cutting weapons at first sounded like the best route, I am really inclining more towards spears for my military hunters.

Dunno about your tallow, maybe you're cooking it, but it can be the limiting reagent for sure.  I don't think it rots when stored properly.  Do you have a terrier squig or condor keeping vermin out of your food piles?

Was just cooking it. Herpa derp. Now I have so much lamellar I will soon have to start burning it, as I can't cook it.

And while at cooking, man, this is by far the most profitable fort I have ever made. I was thinking about doing a metal working industry around ironbone at first, but the cook can make prepared food barrels worth up to 3000 urists. Not just valuable, it is useful, as it makes my fort happy. I will never make crafts again, stick to versatility kids.

Now, as I am advancing a lot, it is pretty much the first time I am facing some... problems. Like figuring out my military. I can make my three dudes train (but I can't configure it so one can have breaks, or else this one in particular will never show up at training. Weird), but I am having some problem with assigning them equipment. The equipment in question is a set made of Lamelar Wargear (armor, 2x gauntlets, greaves, 2x boots, helmet) and some extra stuff, namely a robe, a cloak, and a lupin mask, all made of the already mentioned material. The problem is that they are, according to Dwarf Therapist, wearing two boots on the same feet (and only one in the other one. That lead to some logistical problems), and are refusing to wear the cloaks.

So, to the minutia, how would you configure a optimized (including all the already mentioned accessories, or more if I am missing something) lamellar uniform? Listen how it would show on the screen, so I can copy paste it.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:53:18 pm by RodriguesSting »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 03, 2015, 07:01:51 pm »

You shouldn't be able to double regular boots in Masterwork, because they're size 25 permit 49 (instead of 25/50 as in vanilla iirc).  You can combine with padded or mail boots though.

I think (lamellar/robe/cloak) or (mail/breastplate/cloak) should both work, though, so i am surprised about the cloak not equipping.

>> Listen how it would show on the screen, so I can copy paste it.

Huh?

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 03, 2015, 07:13:01 pm »

It auto corrected, plus I am not wearing glasses.

I meant to say to write it down how it would show in the uniform screen, as:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is pretty much how I set the uniform up. Is there anything wrong with it? Maybe you can't wear a robe and a cloak at the same time? If yes and I have to chose, which one?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 03, 2015, 07:47:02 pm »

You shouldn't be able to double regular boots in Masterwork, because they're size 25 permit 49 (instead of 25/50 as in vanilla iirc). 

Same is true for gauntlets by the way, can't wear two on one hand in Masterwork.

Maybe you can't wear a robe and a cloak at the same time? If yes and I have to chose, which one?

Are you wearing as "replace clothing" or over clothing?  All those three things should fit, but maybe not if there's civilian clothes underneath too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 07:50:38 pm by smakemupagus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 03, 2015, 07:53:18 pm »

It auto corrected, plus I am not wearing glasses.

I meant to say to write it down how it would show in the uniform screen, as:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is pretty much how I set the uniform up. Is there anything wrong with it? Maybe you can't wear a robe and a cloak at the same time? If yes and I have to chose, which one?
If thats on the uniform screen, removing on gauntlet and one boot should fix it I think.

RodriguesSting

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 05, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »

This is getting tough. Third time I am invaded by well equipped dwarfs, though this time my fortifications were ready, but sadly, it wasn't enough. I obviously need a way to break the siege. But it happens so soon that my fort population barely outnumbered them... so, what you guys say? I can try having a handful of boworcs ready, but if they bring in marksdwarves, I am done for. Do you think that, if I maybe don't overproduce lavish food, it is less likely I will be invaded?

Edit: I am having serious trouble breeding squigs. I will forsake them to bring more wolves. I will also limit my food production to, hopefully, delay the sieges a bit longer to build up something resembling a military with trained wolves.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:34:09 pm by RodriguesSting »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46