Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 969033 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2205 on: December 08, 2015, 07:49:29 pm »

Mad Maxhammer
I found an omake of a forum game that had a very Mad Max feel to it. It's based in an underhive and doesn't include vehicles but it was definitely pretty Mad Max in terms of overall culture. Here's the link to it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:07:48 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 09, 2015, 03:05:53 am »

Are there any antiquity tech level worlds with roman legions/ greek phalanxes fighting feral orks or stuff like that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 09, 2015, 03:12:09 am »

None from canon, but that's the nice thing about 40k, the extreme size and stratification of the Imperium ensures the existence of effectively any combination of means from stone age to lost DAoT societies. There are even worlds out there with societies that are a lot like M2 Earth, albeit with more Emperor-worship and having to give up ten years of their GDP every five.

Why, there might even be places that aren't immediately total shitholes. Paradise Worlds have a bad tendency to get eaten, blown up, or embroiled in war, but they do exist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 09, 2015, 03:19:57 am »

What is hivecity middle class life level?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 09, 2015, 03:46:33 am »

I'm not really convinced that's a thing. Hive cities are the essence of extreme inequality, there's the aristocracy and then there's the peasants.

This is a pretty good exposition on what life in the Imperium is often like.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 09, 2015, 08:53:18 am »

And given there are "medieval" worlds fighting feral orks... "roman" or "greek" like armies fighting feral orks are not something out of place. In general such worlds are the favorite places for SM recruitment, and they tend to left the world fight by themselves those threats so they form up worthy warriors and only steep in if orks get beyond feral or external threats come in.

It's really shitty and grimndark indeed, they willingly let entire planets to suffer things that in most of the imperium are routine cleaning with "modern" PDF corps... but it seems to assure a good supply of soldiers. If a guy is capable of killing a ork with a gladius, imagine what he'll be capable off with a chainsword.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 09, 2015, 08:57:59 am »

It also tends to create some of the most loyal space marines ever, since the soldiers that comes from feral worlds tend to see their induction in a space marine chapter as something akin to ascending to godhood and fighting alongside their gods. Look at all the chapters that went chaos, most of their worlds were (mostly) already developed in a way or another.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:46 am »

I'm not really convinced that's a thing. Hive cities are the essence of extreme inequality, there's the aristocracy and then there's the peasants.

This is a pretty good exposition on what life in the Imperium is often like.
That very link talks about the wealthy merchant middle class who strive to become nobility.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:52 am »

It also says it's nothing but a sliver amongst untold trillions in the population of the empires.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 09, 2015, 10:24:31 am »

Hive underclass - Lives near the bowels of the hive, deals with all the filth that flows down from up hive. Bad water, little law, etc...

Hive middleclass - Lives in grinding industrial poverty, working crazy shifts, breathing terrible air, eating terrible food.

Hive upperclass - Gold-plated toliets, gold-plated cherub servitors, gold-plated poor people to make themselves feel better.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:30:05 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 09, 2015, 11:08:34 am »

What is hivecity middle class life level?
~senior scribe 5th class.

Was gonna try a writething on a Korps guardsman who'd been given a medal for "heroism" by The Lord Commander and ordered to "Wear it proudly".
Not even sure what that would be like though.
Some sort of riddle/punishment?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:16:03 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2216 on: December 09, 2015, 11:38:35 am »

Why, there might even be places that aren't immediately total shitholes. Paradise Worlds have a bad tendency to get eaten, blown up, or embroiled in war, but they do exist.
Krieg itself was once an wealthy trading hive world, which is as close to paradise hive world as you can get. As far as I'm concerned the idea of "minimal wage" wasn't totally unknown for them and most of the world was actually pretty well-off (I imagine it was something between Imperial Germany and Hansa in style, and had a bunch of great composers, painters and so on), which has lead the Council of Autocrats, their ruling elite which was arguably democratic, to belive that they can rip out of Imperium, sorta like Severan Dominate. And it would actually work out as only Ferrograd and Jurten remained loyal, the problem is that Ferrograd and said Jurten had access to nuclear weaponry... the rest is, as they say, history.
Was gonna try a writething on a Korps guardsman who'd been given a medal for "heroism" by The Lord Commander and ordered to "Wear it proudly".
Slap it on the uniform and keep clean... in other words, he's not going to think about it really, it's just another piece of equipment. Also, while they don't give a single shit about medals and such, they aren't going to disobey a direct order. I'm more concerned about the fact that nobody would stop the Lord Commander or that he had an idea to give one to a Krieger anyway.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:40:43 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 10, 2015, 12:38:17 am »

Krieg itself was once an wealthy trading hive world, which is as close to paradise hive world as you can get. As far as I'm concerned the idea of "minimal wage" wasn't totally unknown for them and most of the world was actually pretty well-off (I imagine it was something between Imperial Germany and Hansa in style, and had a bunch of great composers, painters and so on), which has lead the Council of Autocrats, their ruling elite which was arguably democratic, to belive that they can rip out of Imperium, sorta like Severan Dominate.
Not that Kreig wasn't a better place to be pre-kreig, but I think calling a group named the Council of Autocrats anything resembling a democratic body is a stretch. They may well have had the support of the governed, but that also applies to the Imperium as a whole.

A paradise hive...I guess the right word for that would be arcology. Kreig the Arcology World. Still, hard to avoid the creation of things like the underhive with any sort of structure like that.
Slap it on the uniform and keep clean... in other words, he's not going to think about it really, it's just another piece of equipment. Also, while they don't give a single shit about medals and such, they aren't going to disobey a direct order. I'm more concerned about the fact that nobody would stop the Lord Commander or that he had an idea to give one to a Krieger anyway.
Everyone knows of the deliriously glory-addicted type of officer who patiently listens to everyone's concerns and then completely ignores them in favor of their own proper sense of judgement. Such a person would hear his subordinates explain how Kreigers...are and respond "Right, jolly good having you keep me up on these things, now about the award ceremony?".

And you are forgetting one thing, that being told to be proud of accomplishing something actually does run afoul of one of the very few emotions common to Kreigers, overwhelming existential guilt and suicidal idealization.

I for one like the idea that it would be seen as a riddle, to find a way to both be prideful of their service to the Emperor and never disobey orders while still being part of a culture who's primary and practically only ethos is "die for the cause".
No Gods, No Masters.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 10, 2015, 01:09:34 am »

Question: Once recruited into the inquisition do acolytes have to become inquisitors? Can they be released from service and not be killed/suspected of heresy.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: December 10, 2015, 02:07:15 am »

Most Acolytes won't become Inquisitors. A promising Acolyte might be taken on as an Interrogator by an Inquisitor, eventually becoming an Inquisitor themselves. But the majority either die/go mad/go chaos. A minority are lucky enough to survive long and work for an inquisitor benevolent enough to release them from their service.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 824