Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 968955 times)

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5100 on: July 23, 2016, 08:21:28 pm »

Damn...turns out I'm rather good at this whole Mini-Necro thing.

EDIT: Just though I'd put in my own two cents on the issue.

The Tyranids win conditions, simple as they are, I think are the most likely to occur. Those conditions are that no one else wins and no SUPER ALLIANCES OF SUPER DOOM are formed between the major powers. Or Orks get their shit together. 9/10

Necrons are a little weird in that, due to the insanity of their leaders, they're unpredictable. They could either come together under a single banner and roflstomp or continuing calling each other names while playing I Spy in 4 dimension or whatever the hell they're doing in their cribs. 6/10

Imperium win if a fully functioning STC comes into the hands of a trustworthy forge world. I would not be surprised though if some particularly dickish magos kept it for themselves. This is increasingly possible with explorator fleets mapping out more of the galaxy. Also, über psyker evolution is viable yet unlikely. 5/10

Tau are sad, but if they can survive long enough their technological advancement and impressive expansion should put them above most other factions. Problem they'll almost certainly get nommed. 2/10

Dark Eldar don't win because they don't really want to or need to. 1/6*10^3

Eldar win with their prissy "God of Death" shtick. Sort of a little bit I guess. Problem is that not all craftworlds agree on this, many craftworlds that do are getting nommed and blammed plus "Super Death Crybaby" is not guaranteed to win against Slaanesh. And even then its not really a victory, just survival of a sort. Option two (known as "Option Two: That One That Sucks Less") is an increase in birthrates, meaning a military force which, considering the power of the current one, would almost certainly be painful to face. 4/10

Orks, despite the fact they are clearly made for fighting and winning, are currently a nuisance. This changes if a Beast That Will Bring Much Slaughter level warboss appears and is allowed to grow his empire. A united krork-esque faction means death to everyone in their way. And, considering Ghazzy, this is becoming far more likely by the minute. I frankly want this victory just so I could see a post-war Ork society that's all "Suphisticated an' ole dat'" whilst keeping the ridiculous accent. 6/10.

Chaos wins by expanding the Eye of Terror to galactic levels r corrupting the entire Imperium. The first one is almost certainly going to happen if nothing is done about the Cadian pylons, failing as they are. The second is unlikely but doable, and Chaos force with millions of demon worlds with a massive infrastructure and actual trained forces besides CSM curb-stomp most things. 6/10.

If several win cons trigger I'm not sure what happens, but I imagine it will be horrifying absolutely hilarous.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 09:06:29 pm by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: July 23, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »

I sort of draw a line between "behavior the Chaos Gods would approve of" and "card-carrying member of the fan club." Fucking around with Chaos at all inside Commoragh is a death sentence if Vect ever found out.
On one extreme of the scale everyone is doing stuff that pleases one of the Chaos gods somehow to the point that everyone and no one is Chaos (I mean, its basically impossible to do otherwise, since fucking, fighting, trying to change things, trying to keep things the same, and basically anything except loving the Emperor is something one of them approves of in at least some distant manner), on the other extreme end is the Saturday morning cartoon villain with spikes and super powers that comes with the package deal of being a chaos champ (or wannabe). In between, there is surely room for degrees of corruption, so maybe that is what he means.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: July 23, 2016, 09:40:23 pm »

Isn't the emperor the chaos god of order? So no even loving the emperor is doing stuff

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: July 23, 2016, 09:44:11 pm »

Also depending on your interpretation of "loving"
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: July 23, 2016, 10:10:46 pm »

Isn't the emperor the chaos god of order? So no even loving the emperor is doing stuff
But that's heresy.

* Teneb puts on a comissar cap
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: July 23, 2016, 10:17:23 pm »

but what if YOU were the heretics all along
makes you think
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: July 23, 2016, 10:20:02 pm »

but what if YOU were the heretics all along
makes you think
"No, Ciaphas. You are the demons. And then Ciaphas was unworthy of the Emperors Love."
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: July 23, 2016, 10:50:22 pm »

Not a *Chaos* god, at least not yet (maybe when he dies, but no one actually knows what happens if/when The Emperor dies; different factions have different opinions). It's possible to be a god without being on team supervillain, and the Emperor is as good a candidate as any to being that God.

Besides, to think otherwise is heresy. Only the Inquisition is allowed to engage in such thoughts.
If several win cons trigger I'm not sure what happens, but I imagine it will be horrifying absolutely hilarous.
Let me think....

Imperium finds Omnicopaeia as Chaos pours out from the Eye of Terror, Orks reorganize under a single great WAAAGH, and Tyrannids finally arrive in the Galaxy in full force. The Ork WAAAGH and Tyrannid super fleet could probably fight each other to a standstill, at least for a while, so they effectively cancel each other out since any fight between them would give Chaos or the Imperium enough time to win. As such, it would be race between Chaos and the Imperium to see whether or not the Imperium can spread knowledge of and utilize the STC enough to withstand Chaos before Chaos overruns Terra and plunges Humanity into an endless night. If Chaos overruns Imperium, they get powerful enough presumably to use Warp shenanigans and Chaos contrivances to win everything. If Imperium builds enough STC shit (which may not even need to be a lot depending on how much OP-plz-nerf stuff they get), Chaos is dramatically weakened (for proof on how this is done, there is a STC fragment that would cure all diseases out there; that's one entire Chaos God made irrelevant), then Imperium uses their super shit to hold the line just long enough to retool for a second Great Crusade (which may include fixing and/or upgrading the Golden Throne, for even more curbstomp goodness).

I think the definition of most of the win conditions is that they prevent the other win conditions from happening. Chaos wins only when everything is daemon world and thus is freaky Chaos shit and indestructible; before then and even if super powerful they can still be routed from existence, after that they are forever invincible until Malal becomes canon again. Imperium *after* bringing an STC back into production  would be unstoppable due to the combination of super technology that makes current Imperium super technology look like literal child's play and being wise to Chaos nonsense this time around; but BEFORE the really OP Imperium tech is operational the Imperium could still easily lose to other factions win conditions (Necrons return, super WAAAGH, Tyrannid fleet, etc), it's just that they would probably put up much more of a fight (if the situation is that the Emperor comes back instead of the STC, I don't know what would happen frankly). Orkz seem like their magic powers could win them any fight once they conquer everything, even if super implausible (like killing Chaos, necrons, etc), but before then their mega-WAAAGH would still be defeatable, if only by something like the Tyranids or something. If the Tyranids come in before someone gets off their win, then they eat everything, but if they come afterwards they probably get annihilated by superior firepower or straight up magicked away byy Chaos or Orkz. Necron's old tech is enough to win them any fight, but if another faction wins first they will probably just get exterminated, etc. Everyone except Eldar have a situation where they just rule the Galaxy forever and ever.

In short, the only thing that would really matter is who starts and who finishes out their win first. It would be a hell of a snowball effect, such that any faction approaching the win condition would progressively roll back the other ones and/or slow down other win conditions.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: July 23, 2016, 10:52:38 pm »

It's
Literally
An
RTS
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: July 23, 2016, 11:03:43 pm »

He isn't a god. He's on the same level as the gods, but he's not a god himself. He also isn't as monofocused on Order as an actual Chaos God of Order would be. He just hates Chaos and loves humanity.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: July 24, 2016, 12:17:37 am »

Everyone except Eldar have a situation where they just rule the Galaxy forever and ever.
Ynnead is indeed a NGE-type thing. The plan is as follows:

1. Fill the Infinity Circuits to create an isolated crucible of souls like the Emperor and Chaos Gods before it.

2. Unleash Ynnead upon the death of the last Eldar, as known by the Farseers.

3. Ynnead skullfucks Slaanesh and absorbs all the Eldar souls from the Sea of Dicks, growing more powerful still.

4. Ynnead kills everything else in the Warp and ascends as the sole ontological master of all the Empyrean.

5. Ynnead reincarnates the Eldar, who are now unstoppable and conquer the universe.

6. Martinis and recreational torture until the end of reality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: July 24, 2016, 12:46:56 am »

Everyone except Eldar have a situation where they just rule the Galaxy forever and ever.
Ynnead is indeed a NGE-type thing. The plan is as follows:

1. Fill the Infinity Circuits to create an isolated crucible of souls like the Emperor and Chaos Gods before it.

2. Unleash Ynnead upon the death of the last Eldar, as known by the Farseers.

3. Ynnead skullfucks Slaanesh and absorbs all the Eldar souls from the Sea of Dicks, growing more powerful still.

4. Ynnead kills everything else in the Warp and ascends as the sole ontological master of all the Empyrean.

5. Ynnead reincarnates the Eldar, who are now unstoppable and conquer the universe.

6. Martinis and recreational torture until the end of reality.
It's telling that everyone else's strategies are A) Obtain (ancient) supertech, curbstomp galaxy, B) Conquer enough of the galaxy as to be invincible, or C) Wait for countdown, while Eldar's super amazing strategy is to D) die so hard they break reality.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: July 24, 2016, 01:04:28 am »

I mean, the Tau's strategy is to hope nobody else wins
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5113 on: July 24, 2016, 01:42:19 am »

The Tau strategy is to hope the Kroot don't learn how to read

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: July 24, 2016, 02:28:31 am »

I think what the best idea for any sort of ending to the setting would be, is to let multiple writers all have their go: Each is given a faction, and is told to make a story about how they win and the whole gambit. This would likely take years and each would have to have multiple books in them, most likely, but I think it could work.

I genuinely wanna see a good writer make a good story wherein the Tau somehow win, whether by sheer dumb luck or something else.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 824