Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 970099 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: wait, 40K has religious overtones?! THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
« Reply #6360 on: September 08, 2016, 04:54:30 pm »

I'm okay with a little bit of powertripping if you can at least make it fucking equal rights. I get it, ra ra ra imperium wooooo, but seriously-Let other factions get some sickass moments.
This includes banding together against larger threats.

That is how I'd want an AoS for 40K.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: September 08, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »

Fucking god no. Consolidating order factions and chaos factions is exactly how all this shit got started.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: September 08, 2016, 05:15:57 pm »

But elves are chaotic neutral and chaotic asshole, respectively.

Actually, Isnt there a real argument to make about dark elvdars being the mindflayers of 40k?  lawful evils
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: September 08, 2016, 05:24:46 pm »

We could try to unite the "Asshole" and "Not Asshole" factions in WH40k, but the asshole faction would split apart pretty quickly due to not having a common enemy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: September 08, 2016, 05:50:46 pm »

The 'Not Asshole' faction of 40k would also split apart near immediately since they all have huge differences of morality and ethics that make working together, even to defeat the literal soul eating monsters from another dimension, highly distasteful to them all.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: September 08, 2016, 05:53:15 pm »

I would wager the only line for something like that is if they want to rule or kill everything.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: September 08, 2016, 05:53:56 pm »

At this point "soul eating monsters from another dimension" makes me think of the Harrowing rather than Chaos. I'm in too deep.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: September 08, 2016, 06:03:27 pm »

But chaos does win forever.  Or at least until it wins.  Then they turn on each other and die.
A page old, but...

While GW does love making Chaos win, in 40k Chaos can actually lose. If any of: Tyranids, Necrons, Orkz win, then Chaos loses hard. Eldar (craftworld/harlequins, because the others don't have a wincon) and Imperium is kinda hazy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: September 08, 2016, 06:05:02 pm »

I would wager the only line for something like that is if they want to rule or kill everything.

The nominal forces of Order are:

The Craftworld Eldar: Possessed of an inherent sense of racial superiority that dwarfs Seto Kaiba's ego. Ultimately want every other sapient race dead so they can reclaim the galaxy, some actually seek to bring that about. Genocide planets they began terraforming millennia prior in order to dump their own colonists on them.

The Imperium: Genocidal towards any threatening xenos race or individuals who deviate too far from their own social norms.

The Tau: Declare war on any faction that refuses their initial diplomatic overtures. Seek to establish a mono-state ruled by a single caste of their own species.

The Necrons: Seek to exterminate all other races as vermin living on their property or rule them as vassals.

The Exodite Eldar: Like the Craftworlders, but so isolationist they don't even have spacecraft so they basically just sit on their primitive dirt piles like a nest of dinosaur riding hornets that attack anything that gets close.

I can't see these guys getting on for more than a few minutes without the Craftworlder deciding to hold it's breath before it passes out from the stink of the humans and Tau, the Necron going insane and declaring itself ruler of the southern galaxy and demanding a tribute of 10000 bananas, the Tau trying to subvert the Exodite and getting eaten by a velociraptor for his trouble, and the human trying to burn everyone else in the room.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: September 08, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »

Less so consolidating factions, and more... Aah, fuck it, I just am a huge dumb nerd for moments where enemies work together.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: September 08, 2016, 07:03:06 pm »

But chaos does win forever.  Or at least until it wins.  Then they turn on each other and die.
A page old, but...

While GW does love making Chaos win, in 40k Chaos can actually lose. If any of: Tyranids, Necrons, Orkz win, then Chaos loses hard. Eldar (craftworld/harlequins, because the others don't have a wincon) and Imperium is kinda hazy.

You forgot, Canonically Chaos has never lost :P

And the funny thing is! I am TECHNICALLY correct in a manner of speaking.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: September 08, 2016, 07:11:53 pm »

I'm okay with a little bit of powertripping if you can at least make it fucking equal rights. I get it, ra ra ra imperium wooooo, but seriously-Let other factions get some sickass moments.
This includes banding together against larger threats.

That is how I'd want an AoS for 40K.
Half the fun is the conflict between the 'good guys'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: September 08, 2016, 07:30:41 pm »

Imperium isn't hazy. The reason Chaos ganged up on the Emperor so hard to the point of them inhabiting the same body is because unlike every other being the galaxy, he was an existential threat to their existence.

Even without the Emperor, the Imperium could still defeat Chaos. The general setting canon is that the Imperium can beat any one of its enemies, but it can't because it doesn't just have one enemy. If the Imperium could somehow defeat all its other enemies* they could eventually defeat Chaos, though perhaps not completely eradicate it. With no external enemies to fight, the Imperium could focus all its efforts on fortifying Cadia, combing their worlds for heresy, and evolving to become Eldar-like psykers, denying Chaos from ever getting a permanent foothold in the Materium ever again.

*There are three ways the Imperium can win:
1. Russ finds the Fruit of Life and resurrects the Emperor
2. The Omnicopeia is discovered
3. Humanity evolves into a fully psychic race
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: September 08, 2016, 07:36:38 pm »

The 'Not Asshole' faction of 40k would also split apart near immediately since they all have huge differences of morality and ethics that make working together, even to defeat the literal soul eating monsters from another dimension, highly distasteful to them all.
... since when did WH40k have a non-asshole faction?

Also pretty sure more than the porcelain god god is an existential threat to chaos. Both the 'crons and the 'nids could manage it, iirc. Or at least the oldcrons could, and I'm assuming the new ones are able to do something similar.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:41 pm »

Count me as another who doesn't really want "Superfriends vs. monster of the week" 40k. Smacks of the the low end of fanfic.

The fact the races barely manage to work together when it's in their best interests to do so is what keeps the edge on the setting. The occasional iconoclast Ork or Eldar or w/e is fine. But when the WWWAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH! and the Imperium team up to fight Chaos, or the Tau and an entire Eldar Craftworld go arm in arm to fight the Tyranids or the Necrons....that doesn't work for me. The 40k setting is rooted in bad blood on all sides. It's why faction identities are entrenched so deep. Racial animus and intractibility is what defines the setting, certainly for the Imperium but damn near for every other race too. Besides the Tau.

Basically you're describing a 40k where the Tau win, and I'll eat a bolt round (metaphorically) the day that happens.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 07:44:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 824