Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971039 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #420 on: May 07, 2015, 06:24:41 pm »

Probably on the same level of administrative and logistical freakyness, at least. He's actualy mentioned as being on the level of primarchs in that regards too. Well, at least on his wiki page :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 07, 2015, 07:34:44 pm »

The Primarchs: inhuman capabilities at using Excel, apparently.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:08 pm »

In regards to robot girlyman? Most certainly :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:49 pm »

Yes. I do not think Russ or Angron were 'Datasheet People'.

In other news, anyone play Killteams?
That's pretty much all I'm touching, now that everything is superheavy Strength D.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:39:40 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 08, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »

So WH40k Regicide is out in EA on Steam now.

It's.....Battle Chess with a 40k skin.

Ok that's not totally fair. Guys have abilities and perks and stuff, you can make ranged attacks, throw grenades, etc....so imagine chess where instead of instant lethality, you have to use attacks on guys multiple times to kill them. Sounds great. Except for the chess part.

So it seems another game in a growing line of WH40K themed games that are testing out every genre from Plants vs. Zombies, to Card Games, to now, Chess. I'm pretty sure there's a 40k themed Bejewelled out there somewhere. All we really need now is 40k Sims (which, I dunno, could be rad if it was actually done well and interestingly) and a 40k MMO that doesn't fold in on itself immediately like a collapsing Warp Drive.

I know there's a faction out there that is like "Any exposure for 40k is good exposure" but I dunno. As the list of games I as a huge fan of the IP am skipping grows...what must people new to it think? "What kind of crap sack game with goofy orks and guys in armor goes with Chess?"

It's further increasing my suspicion that whoever is green lighting these things at the top no longer cares what represents the IP, it's literally whether it will run on a mobile device or not.

I mean, you can do 40k in a lot of game genres. I'm shocked there's not a 40k moba out there yet (it's probably in development.) But treating 40k like it's literally a skin you can slap on any game isn't doing it any favors. As combat gets further abstracted away into different genres, it feels ever more distant from what makes 40k games appealing to play. Sure, every game is still slavishly faithful to the visuals (Regicide has some really nice kill animations.) But at the end of the day, 40k isn't just about how it looks. It's about what you can do and how you do it. Pushing lanes and planning tactics on a 10x10 board isn't really fulfilling any fantasies for me. A game like Chapter Master, which actually drills down into the world as you play, and is loaded with flavor at every turn, and is all internally consistent, is what I want to see more out of the genre. Dawn of War II was great in its own ways, but I think it really started this trend.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:44:24 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 08, 2015, 05:39:22 pm »

I'd totally play 40k Sims, that'd be awesome.

Though something I think really hit the franchise hard was that Space Marine didn't get it's sequels. Sure it had it's issues, but it really captured the spirit of 40k for me: unending war, some grimdark to the point that the ending gets affected (FUCK YOU LEANDROS), manly men doing manly things while being unnecessarily manly, brutal combat, etc etc. It may have only had 3 factions in it, but it did them well, and Titus' future adventures round the galaxy would've been entertaining as hell to witness. Too bad THQ went under.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 08, 2015, 05:50:00 pm »

Yea, Space Marine may have been just another third person shooter, but it did a good job of capturing the theme of 40k in a game, even better then Dawn of War I think, apart from the whole ONE MARINE TAKING DOWN ENTIRE ORC SHIPS and stuff. Too bad it was about an ultramarine, and not something cool like blood angels or space wolves.
In its defense, the protagonist was obviously special in some way, what with being able to fight a warboss and a daemon prince by himself, while also resisting corruption.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 05:56:36 pm by TempAcc »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 08, 2015, 06:01:25 pm »

Video game protagonists do have a little lee-way on things they can and can't do.

Like Fire Warrior, where a novice fire warrior fights his way through Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Obliterators, Chaos Spawn, and a Lord of Change by himself.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 08, 2015, 06:03:00 pm »

Video game protagonists do have a little lee-way on things they can and can't do.

Like Fire Warrior, where a novice fire warrior fights his way through Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Obliterators, Chaos Spawn, and a Lord of Change by himself.
That guy was blessed by Khorne IIRC, Titus is kinda unsure. He might be a low-class Null or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 08, 2015, 06:11:54 pm »

According to the book. The game makes absolute no mention of any Khornate blessing.

Though in the book he was also helped by Captain Ardias and a full team of battlesuits. They don't appear in the game.

The game came first. The book added quite a bit which contradicts the game, so it's up to you which one you consider "canon".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 08, 2015, 06:14:41 pm »

Space Marine

That's really my point. Games like Space Marine have the canvas space to deliver all that is good about the IP. Not just the visuals, but the character development, the classic 40k plot lines, the visceral goodness that comes from chainswording a guy yourself. They can at least try to approach the scope of 40k. Smaller games on tighter budgets with smaller canvases don't have the luxury. And it's not like that's even really a problem! I can easily see a small team with a small budget doing an amazing Kill Team kinda game. Something tightly designed but still with enough latitude in gameplay you aren't going from a text loading screen to THE format every time.

But when you take these smaller games, and then put them into other genres that barely even relate to 40k (seriously, fuck Storm of Vengeance), it loses so much, and what makes 40k good starts to seem like a parody of itself. Even if there's some dude voicing over a story, the minute you go from that to destroying colored blocks or rhythm dancing or spelling words....you're light years away from what makes the IP good. What is slowly happening to 40k games seems to be what happened to Star Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OnDizZ7UT0

Although I will contradict all that by saying: If LEGO ever made LEGO 40K, I'd have to play it. I'd have to play the shit out of it. I'm pretty sure those two companies together would be the precursor to the Warp breaking through into RL though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:18:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 08, 2015, 10:37:48 pm »

I really didn't like Space Marine, though.
They did boltguns wrong.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 08, 2015, 10:41:29 pm »

I really didn't like Space Marine, though.
They did boltguns wrong.
How?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 09, 2015, 12:42:30 am »

Boltguns are basically mini-rocket launchers. Primary charge fires the bolt, secondary ignition propels it into an enemy, whereupon it explodes inside them. They're also usually half an inch diameter. Heavy bolters use .75 inch ammo. Oh and they're supposed to be diamond tipped to help penetration.

And these are the same strength as Ork Shootas. And only just pierce Flak Armor.

Which really just says something about the caliber size of most Ork guns....and the strength of cardboard where there is Only War.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 09, 2015, 12:54:46 am »

I'm not sure if the other bolters the marine in space marine uses are like, a thing for most space marines either. But I do think they did a good job of making bolts seem impactful, though, unlike in dawn of war where they're basically just huge machine guns. The bolter pistol is really great on space marine.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 824