Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971359 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

He's complaining about the fact that whilst larger, the Astartes gun isn't actually more powerful.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I'm saying that in table top and in fluff, it makes no functional difference what "size" of boltgun you're using. There are no mechanics, and brains explode just as well from either, whether you're shooting an ork or a hive tyrant. It's always struck me as a blatant, non-fluffy excuse to put bolt weapons in the hands of keynote human characters, for no other reason than GWS loves their boltguns. Fluff wise an Astartes bolt pistol would be too big for a human, and would fracture their shoulder from the recoil should they try to fire it. Yet their pussy human boltguns do just as well.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Because both are primarily explosive weapons?

Are you complaining that GW isn't wanking it's Marines hard enough?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

I think it's just 'bigger gun, more stopping power/ammo capacity'. One is just even more overkill, because they face foes that require such overkill.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Probably a limitation of the system. Isn't a Lasgun S3, and a bolter S4?
Not really much room inbetween those.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's complaining about the fact that whilst larger, the Astartes gun isn't actually more powerful.
Gameplay and story segregation. The split is addressed in things like Dark Heresy, where the boltgun (human-sized, non-Sisters, bolter) does 1d10+5 damage and the Astartes bolter (Godwyn-pattern) does 2d10+4.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:01:51 am by NobodyPro »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gameplay and story segregation. The split is addressed in things like Dark Heresy, where the boltgun (human-sized, non-Sisters, bolter) does 1d10+5 damage and the Astartes bolter (Godwyn-pattern) does 2d10+4.

Yep. Just doesn't come out in the TT or fluff very often.

Are you complaining that GW isn't wanking it's Marines hard enough?

Naturally.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe Astartes need bigger guns because they have bigger hands. They can't even get their fingers around those tiny mortal triggers, I bet.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They can't. But, it still irks me that one size does not fit all, except when it does, because dem commissars need bolt pistols for dat cover art.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Yeah it's been said before that Commissar Cain doesn't use bolt pistols, yet he seems to have them on every cover because of the Rule of Cool.
That being said I think that executing with a laspistol doesn't have the same *BLAM* impact that a bolt pistol does.
In terms of morale it's probably a smarter idea.

That being said most people who use the heavier parts of the space marine armory (Yarrick, Storm Bolter) (Sergeant Harker, Heavy Bolter) have statlines to compensate for the power.
Which annoys me that S6 T4 "Balls of Steel" Straken has a standard piddly shotgun instead of a space marine shotgun.

I mean seriously if you gave that guy the gene seed he'd probably go around ripping out the throats of daemon princes with his teeth.
He has an AP2 PUNCH, you guys.

But on the topic of 'Why are humie bolters smaller than SM bolters but not less powerful', humie powerfists are supposed to require 'Cumbersome cybernetics' or 'external hydraulic lifters' even to use the dang things, but now we have so many powerfist models just hauling around this dainty little powerfist like 'I give zero fucks'.
Sure, the x2 Str usually brings it up to S6 instead of S8, so I guess there's some basis behind it, but still.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unfortunately, power packs supporting your war gear don't make for sexy models for anyone but Space Marines.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Yarrick disagrees.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That seems small for a power claw of that size.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That seems small for a power claw of that size.

Maybe he is just fat.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile

-Censored for extra heresy-
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:41:10 pm by Knit tie »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 824