Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965449 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Damned Immateriums, how do they work?
« Reply #1020 on: June 01, 2015, 12:25:37 pm »

Officially, about 40% of Imperial warp jumps never come back for one reason or another, and that's on the safe lanes. If that sounds gratuitous to you, 40K is a gratuitous setting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 01, 2015, 12:52:18 pm »

Officially, about 40% of Imperial warp jumps never come back for one reason or another, and that's on the safe lanes. If that sounds gratuitous to you, 40K is a gratuitous setting.

40% seems awfully high unless 95% of 40k fiction never bothers to mention the parts of the fleet that didn't make the jump. It's always mentioned as a caveat, but rarely does a well executed plan fall through because a ship carrying important people never successfully made the jump. Getting lost in the Warp is almost always either an excuse to get rid of something powerful (Primarchs) or as the beginning of an arc for a particular character.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 01, 2015, 12:53:42 pm »

40% seems awfully high unless 95% of 40k fiction never bothers to mention the parts of the fleet that didn't make the jump. It's always mentioned as a caveat, but rarely does a well executed plan fall through because a ship carrying important people never successfully made the jump. Getting lost in the Warp is almost always either an excuse to get rid of something powerful (Primarchs) or as the beginning of an arc for a particular character.

Plot armor and plot holes.

Either that or "Not making the jump" is due to something else entirely.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 01, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

40% would mean the Horus Heresy books are probably non-canon, since none of it would even remotely make sense.

And that includes Humans ever having colonized anything outside of the solar system.

(unless I'm confusing FTL with warp travel, but afaik they're the same in 40k.)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 01, 2015, 01:02:34 pm »

Source?

Because the amount of worlds that need regular food shipments from Agri-Worlds in order to not starve in a few weeks is phenomenal, if 40% of those shipments failed to make it through the Imperium would have collapsed long ago, let alone the military problems and number of marines that would die before reaching their destinations.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 01, 2015, 01:07:53 pm »

I always 'felt' it was closer to 10% of all warp transit.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 01, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »

Funny how the word officially is used in a rather unofficial manner.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 01, 2015, 01:24:44 pm »

I forget where the number is. I know it doesn't make any logistical sense, but 40K openly spurns realism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 01, 2015, 01:35:59 pm »

I forget where the number is. I know it doesn't make any logistical sense, but 40K openly spurns realism.

No offense, but without a source to back you up, you might just as well say "when ships travel through the warp they are assaulted by kittens wielding puppies, if they break through the crew is lost to their cuteness". Not saying you are wrong, per se, but with no source we have no way of checking the validity of your claim in any way.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 01, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »

I think that the number of warp jumps that fail should be assumed to be small enough for warp travel to still be a reliable and economically viable way of interstellar communication, since the Imperium wouldn't be able to physically exist otherwise. Remember, Imperial planets tend to be highly interdependent.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 01, 2015, 01:45:53 pm »

I think that the number of warp jumps that fail should be assumed to be small enough for warp travel to still be a reliable and economically viable way of interstellar communication, since the Imperium wouldn't be able to physically exist otherwise. Remember, Imperial planets tend to be highly interdependent.

Well, it's the only viable method of interstellar travel available to humanity. It'd be "viable" even at an 80% failure rate, given that the only other option is centuries-long transit times between even close systems.

It's just that most of the Imperium would have fallen if warp transit anywhere took longer than 6 months.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 01, 2015, 02:04:00 pm »

Well, it's the only viable method of interstellar travel available to humanity. It'd be "viable" even at an 80% failure rate, given that the only other option is centuries-long transit times between even close systems.

It's just that most of the Imperium would have fallen if warp transit anywhere took longer than 6 months.
It also would have fallen if the failure rate was even remotely near 40 or even 10 percent. I think that this here is just another instance of Wardist hacks coming up with completely ludicrous, suspension-of-disbelief-destroying numbers because "lolgrimdark."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 01, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »

I've always thought 40k is pretty opposed to hard numbers, for pretty much anything. Nothing ruins a good fantasy like facts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:57 pm »

it's not call science-faction for nothing

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 01, 2015, 02:12:06 pm »

I've always thought 40k is pretty opposed to hard numbers, for pretty much anything. Nothing ruins a good fantasy like facts.
Wh40K works just fine with hard numbers, as long as they don't destroy all plausibility.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 824