Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971095 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #1935 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:25 am »

I think the Imperial Cult generaly believes that you join the emperor when you die, either becoming one with him (the supposed fate of the psykers sacrificed to power the astronomican) or you sit beside him at the golden throne. It varies according to the planet and the interpretation. In reality, most people probably become daemon snacks once they enter the warp.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:42 am »

By the way. Is there any lore about afterlife in wh40k universe? What is official imperial belief on this question?

Generally the idea is you sit at the left hand of the Emperor in whatever mystical realm he exists in.

Space Marines specifically believe they wait with the Emperor until he returns reality, and they will do battle at his side once again in the final apocalyptic battle.

That said, no particular vision of heaven has ever really been articulated.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:48 am »

The Jokaero are too obscure and their feelings toward humanity are unknow, but I think the inquisition sometimes uses them as engineers/blacksmiths? I only know some space marines and rogue traders use jokaero weapons and equipment.
Much like the Grey Knight Daemonhosts, this is Matt Ward's fucking fault.
By the way. Is there any lore about afterlife in wh40k universe? What is official imperial belief on this question?
The official belief of the Imperial Cult is that the souls of all humans who die having honorably served the Emperor ascend to his side. Among more liberal priests, even the mutant and the witch may find the Emperor's salvation should they sacrifice their wretched lives in his name.

In reality, human souls are instantly shredded in the currents of the Warp when deprived of a body. But at least you stop existing and don't get tortured in the sea of dicks like Eldar do!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 03, 2015, 10:55:00 am »

The Eldar afterlife is particulary bleak. You either get tortured by a sea of slaaneshi dicks for all eternity or you get saved by a fucking clown :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 03, 2015, 11:18:22 am »

In reality, human souls are instantly shredded in the currents of the Warp when deprived of a body. But at least you stop existing and don't get tortured in the sea of dicks like Eldar do!

Amusingly enough, when you piece together enough of the depictions of souls and the Warp from the BL novels, RPG sourcebooks and GW rulebooks, it becomes plausible (and probable) that souls do keep existing in the Warp after being eaten by daemons. They just become a tormented part of the essence of chaos. (Edit) It's like hell, but with worse weather.  :P (End edit)

The way the afterlife seems to work, at least in the way that seems to contradict the least amount of the fluff I've read, is that your soul enters the Warp upon death, it then either dissolves as the Warp currents shred it or it gets eaten by Daemons and other warp predators. What is left behind is much the same as a Daemon that's had it's power retracted by it's god, a formless set of memories, personality traits and so on that is distributed across the Warp in such a fashion that it doesn't really exist unless something feeds power into it, at which point it coalesces into the original soul. Things like the Ghost Engine from Dark Heresy or the Dark Eldar revival process can draw a soul back together and pull it back out of the Warp, though the former is unreliable and the latter has a time limit.

Some souls seem to get used as abstract batteries by the gods for various purposes. Khorne's fluff states that his forges are manned by the souls of warriors who died peacefully and their fires are fueled by those who ran from battle. Nurgle turns many of the souls he collects into Daemons or plants in his garden, Slaanesh keeps a lot of them partially aware and torments them for fun, Eldar Croneworlds are haunted each day by Eldar who have to relive the Fall each day at dusk, and then swarmed by Daemons at night.

The Emperor has been implied to intercede in some fashion, but it's generally left very vague as to whether or not he actually does. Cegorarch always saves Harlequins souls upon their death and attempts to save those of Solitaires. What happens to Ork souls is unknown.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1940 on: November 03, 2015, 12:19:24 pm »

It doesn't... dissolve as in is removed forever. There is at least one person that has been brought back to live despite that long time passed by and her soul got torn apart a lot. It wasn't an easy task and the guy who did the ritual had to basically go and tear back every piece of soul from any deamon or whatever that has claimed it.
There's also a theory that "rightful" Imperial Citzens souls can get like, absorbed into Astronomican which isin't exactly very amazing thing in our sense, as there's no chillin' with Empra but you're basically safe from getting your soul nommed, which is pretty important. Kinda like how Christains will see the "Light Of God" or whatever it is called in English, in heaven.

Though, honestly speaking, Warp is so fucking random that even if GW fluff didin't contradict itself it would still be confusing as fuck.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1941 on: November 03, 2015, 03:08:44 pm »

I do like how it's entirely possible that every piece of canon is 100% lies with not even a kernel of truth within, and that the milky way galaxy really was empty and the Imperium just need good reasons to exterminatus chaos rebels

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 03, 2015, 03:19:49 pm »

I like to try to reconcile the 40k Imperium and the Strike Legion Imperium from time to time.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1943 on: November 03, 2015, 03:24:09 pm »

I do like how it's entirely possible that every piece of canon is 100% lies with not even a kernel of truth within, and that the Imperium is actually pretty reasonable and nice place to live but Tau are just throwing shit at it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 03, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »

I do like how it's entirely possible that every piece of canon is 100% lies with not even a kernel of truth within, and that the Dark Eldar are actually a superior species whom have the right to do as they please but casuals keep Vect down with their whining.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1945 on: November 03, 2015, 03:47:58 pm »

I do like how it's entirely possible that every piece of canon is 100% lies with not even a kernel of truth within, and that the Jokaero are BANANA

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1946 on: November 03, 2015, 04:02:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 03, 2015, 04:28:27 pm »

The Jokaero are too obscure and their feelings toward humanity are unknow, but I think the inquisition sometimes uses them as engineers/blacksmiths? I only know some space marines and rogue traders use jokaero weapons and equipment.

Grey Knight.... Daemonhosts?

What? What? What?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 03, 2015, 04:41:03 pm »

Grey Knight.... Daemonhosts?

What? What? What?

In the 5th edition Grey Knights codex the Inquisition Acolyte units could include Daemonhosts and Jokaero. Now that the Inquisition has been spun off into their own mini-dex they took their Daemonshosts and Jokaero with them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 03, 2015, 05:21:04 pm »

What I'd like to do at some point is make some Inquisitional philosophies. I really like the ones that are out there (Polypsykana best girl).
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 824