Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971102 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4725 on: July 06, 2016, 01:08:51 am »

Tell me 40k has a "This is how the series could end" book.

Even the Pokémon Anime has a season dedicated to "Yeah you know Ash will never beat the elite four and become a pokemon master. So here is a season where Ash will basically do just that"

And Battletech... Keeps going towards an ending and then they go "FOOLED YOU! things are even worse!"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:10:56 am by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: July 06, 2016, 01:12:41 am »

It doesn't, but there is an acceptably well-written fanfiction that tries to do just that. 50k: The Shape of the Nightmare to Come and its sequel 60k: The Age of Dusk.

Text-To-Speech-Device probably will have gone this way by the time it's finished as well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: July 06, 2016, 01:26:27 am »

They also mentally and physically stunt toddlers and hollow out their bones so they can be flying cherubs for rich people.
It really says something about this setting that I honestly cannot tell if this is a joke... or they actually do it.
clone toddlers. So they can turn them into cherub servitors
... Because that's better... Right?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: July 06, 2016, 01:31:12 am »

They also mentally and physically stunt toddlers and hollow out their bones so they can be flying cherubs for rich people.

It really says something about this setting that I honestly cannot tell if this is a joke... or they actually do it.

They don't actually do it. I used to think they did because of how cherubs look, but it turns out they're actually an engineered species created by the Mechanicus.

They're basically synthetic flesh, a battery, some augmetics and the mind wiped brain of an animal.

On occasion they malfunction and return to the instincts of their brain donor. It isn't nice when a cherub tries to tear out your throat because it thinks it's a feral dog.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Cherub
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: July 06, 2016, 01:45:32 am »

They are very stagnant. It's just that the Imperium is just so immense that the stagnation takes a very long time to grind them down, and they still retain a level of restabilization whenever the pressure lets up. It's like the difference between the campaign of destruction you'd have to undertake to collapse Bhutan vs. the one you'd have to undertake to collapse the USA, except that the scale is a million worlds cast all around the Milky Way.

30k was massively different though. The Great Crusade only lasted two hundred years, and it was about 95% complete when the Horus Heresy happened. All that, starting from just a desolate but unified Earth, to the Imperium of Man at its most powerful. They were anything but stagnant, and had fucking Horus even just waited a few more decades to turn into a drooling Chaos meatpuppet the Imperium would have become unstoppable. As it is, the system they set up was only almost indestructible, and could withstand literally every other powerful group in the galaxy pounding down its doors all at once for ten thousand years to face collapse. Even then, the outcome remains uncertain, with what few aces humanity has left.
...I thought the Great Crusade took about a thousand years. :/ Probably wrong, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: July 06, 2016, 01:47:30 am »

So did I, but according to the timeline it lasted from ~M30.750 to ~M31.000.

But that my point stands for any amount of time shows how insanely organized the Imperium was.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: July 06, 2016, 02:46:38 am »

So did I, but according to the timeline it lasted from ~M30.750 to ~M31.000.

But that my point stands for any amount of time shows how insanely organized the Imperium was.
Well. I feel like it shows how much of an impact having a living Emperor and Primarchs has, as well as full Titan Legions and probably some fairly convincing diplomats to help reduce the number of worlds you have to actively steamroll. Better tech and stuff too. Organization and combined arms rather than the granular approach designed to cordon off corruption used now probably helped a lot too. Tons of Space Marines to literally just throw at problem planets, too. Also, a lot less Necron/Chaos/Tyranids to deal with. Maybe less orks, too, but when you have truly overwhelming firepower, they aren't much of a problem, because you obliterate them before they get large enough to be an issue, or you just go around if you hit something too large to destroy in any reasonable amount of time, and establish a cordon. Slows you down less, and Empy seemed rather focused on speed.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: July 06, 2016, 02:55:02 am »

That doesn't capture the scope of it because of what came afterwards. The Horus Heresy tore the Imperium in two right at the start, and yet even after that it endured. The Black Crusades kept coming and the Imperium endured. The Necrons started waking up and the Imperium endured. The Tyranids started invading and the Imperium endured. The Tau started peddling xenophilia and the Imperium endured.

All of this without the Emperor and with only a minor amount of help from the Primarchs, 99% of which was Rowboat Girlyman because Khan only wants to ride, Russ is kill crazy, Dorn is fortification crazy, and Vulkan is just a fucking mess.

The survival, even occasional thriving of the Imperium off of this system running on its own is the true accomplishment.
No Gods, No Masters.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: July 06, 2016, 06:22:12 am »

Even then, the outcome remains uncertain, with what few aces humanity has left.

I think it's canon that all standard construct contains alll the technology but ppl cannot switch around which one they present because the interface is psychic?

"Especially given that, once linked to the ship, Kotov realized that (perhaps all of) the Ark Mechanicus used by the Mechanicum are complete, self-updating STCs."

ok it's 1d4chan so I don't really know if that count as canon https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Standard_Template_Construct#The_Ark_Mechanicus

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: July 06, 2016, 07:43:09 am »

As it was in Graham Macneil trilogy, this is kinda canon.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: July 06, 2016, 10:48:46 am »

It doesn't, but there is an acceptably well-written fanfiction that tries to do just that. 50k: The Shape of the Nightmare to Come and its sequel 60k: The Age of Dusk.

Text-To-Speech-Device probably will have gone this way by the time it's finished as well.
On this note, I have another heretical text to point to that represents an ending of sorts: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7350111/1/45th-Millennium

I may or may have looked around the website for good 40k stuff. Just perhaps.

I'm so sorry, but I had to. The Emperor told me.
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4736 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:17 am »

Well. I feel like it shows how much of an impact having a living Emperor and Primarchs has, as well as full Titan Legions and probably some fairly convincing diplomats to help reduce the number of worlds you have to actively steamroll. Better tech and stuff too. Organization and combined arms rather than the granular approach designed to cordon off corruption used now probably helped a lot too. Tons of Space Marines to literally just throw at problem planets, too. Also, a lot less Necron/Chaos/Tyranids to deal with. Maybe less orks, too, but when you have truly overwhelming firepower, they aren't much of a problem, because you obliterate them before they get large enough to be an issue, or you just go around if you hit something too large to destroy in any reasonable amount of time, and establish a cordon. Slows you down less, and Empy seemed rather focused on speed.
I think the most significant factor is that humanity was already spreading far beyond throughout the galaxy before the Great Crusade, with human colonists traveling with their robot terraformers and colony ships when the warp storms started kicking up (even saying hello to the Eldar Empire before it went asplode), and even when warp storms began ruining the galaxy, the adeptus mechanicus were sending their ships through the warp to create what would become the forge worlds of the Imperium. Thus once Empy could show up, crack some skulls, they could more or less move on as the planets were already populated. IIRC they only had one problem twice when they began transferring control from the military leaders (primarchs) to the civil leaders (munistorum) and when Lorgar stopped conquering planets and started administering them (the Emperor clearly wanted his military leaders to be military leaders and his civil leaders to lead his military leaders, all the whilst Lorgar was a military leader who wanted to be a civil one. #1 dad). Both lead to HH

*EDIT
50k and Greyknights seems to go hand in hand
His, save for a single orb of diamond-hard stubbornness: Titan. It stood a stony fortress, its doors sealed from the Necrons by adamantium and heavy cannons, its soul sealed from Abaddon by the cold steel cage of faith encasing the hearts of the Grey Knights and Custodian Guard trapped upon the world. All other humans on the world had perished a thousand years previously, yet the ancient warriors stood firm, a shadow of the Imperium's past glory.
That's 40k as fuck
  • Surrounded on all sides by insurmountable arcane technogods vs eldritch sorcerous gods, held at bay only by plasteel and faith
  • A shadow of a shadow of a shadow of a shadow of what was once something great living on as little more than a memory, a relic
  • Old = better, but even so, everything is so fubard it might not even matter
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:27:29 pm by Loud Whispers »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: July 06, 2016, 01:47:01 pm »

Meanwhile in on the table, I've been invited to a tournament using the community comp rules (which basically assigns a second value to specifically OP combinations in order to make the game even more balanced).
The hilarious part is, we all took a vote on whether or not to use the CommComp rules, everyone voted yes, except for one person who voted no.
That person whom is the knight player. The 'Oh I know we agreed only one forgeworld but can I take a fw Pheonix Lord and his fw unit?' guy.
The 'Only one other player with a superheavy? Time to bring out my revenant titan... head... on a waterbottle!' guy.
The 'We're playing a CAD only game? Well if a Skitarii player is forced to take the Skitarii formation, I can take the DA formation. It's only fair.' ... guy.

So I had a massive laugh at that. I wouldn't call myself a competitive player, so his waac crap pisses me off to no end.
Seems he's on the verge of dropping out, though. His latest comment was 'What if I just take 500 pts less and take whatever I want?'. So I'm guessing he wants to show off his assembled revenant (which is banned in commcomp)

I get the feeling like the entire thread is dedicated to Lore, and then there's hobby-guy Grim and game-guy Tack.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:51:24 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4738 on: July 06, 2016, 01:49:40 pm »

Pretty much

Lore is free

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: July 06, 2016, 02:12:34 pm »

Lore is also interesting, I've never seen anything even slightly compelling about the mainstream tabletop. I could see how painting and model design could be interesting if you're into that, but not the actual game.

The only 40k tabletop I have any interest in at all is the FFG series', not the "main game".
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 824