Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971264 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4770 on: July 07, 2016, 01:50:05 am »

...So every faction? :P

... It's almost as if they were carefully balanced to be at perfect strength equilibrium by some external entity, more secretive and intangible than the ones

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: July 07, 2016, 01:51:19 am »

except the tau

:P
;-;
i want them to be stronk but they arent and it makes koss saaaad
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: July 07, 2016, 01:58:05 am »

except the tau

:P
Tau would

It's just they're the only faction for whom 'full power' is as yet only a hypothetical. They can reach galactic empire crushing levels if they survive long enough. Which isn't assured by any means.

Plus, underdogs are better

Everyone knows that but is too afraid to say it. I know I might get attacked for saying so, but I like underdogs, personally. /braverydebate
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 01:59:38 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4773 on: July 07, 2016, 03:05:47 am »

I don't really think about Tau as underdogs, at least not more than all other factions. Due to Grim Darkness of Far Future, nearly everyone is so fucked that they are underdogs. Imperium is underdogs, as everyone wants them dead, Eldar are underdogs because they're mostly dead and their souls get fucked, Chaos is underdogs because they're fucked no matter if they win or not, Orks are underdogs because everyone hunts them and treats as animals, Tau are underdogs because they are young compared to others, Necrons are underdogs because... reasons, and Tyranids are underdogs because of the same reasons, I guess.

Also I am irrationaly irritated about this line
/braverydebate
because Tau are fucking cowards that don't fight in melee and don't even understand what is happening due to mind control while Imperial Guardsmen and Guardswomen are truly the bravest.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: July 07, 2016, 03:43:46 am »

If anyone's wondering, the Defense Line is 50 point and the quad-cannon upgrade is another 50, I'm pretty sure.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4775 on: July 07, 2016, 06:12:06 am »

Necrons are not underdogs, their c'tan are now underdogs. Necrons are sleepy, getting comfy, if they all woke up and executed a coherent algorithm, the plot would advance (plus their endgame can just be get comfy, wait for everyone to die and life to remake itself again, only pop out every now and then to make sure the warp doesn't take over)
Tyranids are not underdogs by Milky Way standards, but since they are extragalactic refugees, they are probably underdogs by their home galaxy's standards (if indeed, this is only the second galaxy they have nom'd). Just imagine, there is probably some other galaxy out there where Tyranids are having their last stand as their home hive is nomd by something even phattier
Orks are always winning
Bloody hell, Orks
ORKS
Only story I've seen Orks truly lose was that one sole surviving Ork that ended up stuck on a dormant tomb world with no fighting and sleepy crons who didn't want to waaaagh!
Imperium is on the defensive from massive apocalypses within and without, apocalypses plural, dying a slow death as the Emperor decays, top dog as a whole - each human is an undercog in the great machine (mechanicus often the literal undercog), regular people standing up to fight carnifexes and godspawns with flashlights. HOLD THE FUCKING LINE!
Eldar is the underdog because holy shit did they fall, they are a sad, sad remnant of what they once were. Nice thing though is that they still try to rebuild, but they can't in any meaningful sense rebuild their population when there is only war
Dark Eldar are dicks, I'd say they're underdogs but they don't really have win conditions they strive for. Their unknown haemonculus sects do, so I suppose within the Dark Eldar, the spooky hidden sects are the underdogs ready to overthrow the DE hierarchy with !!science!!
Tau are not underdogs on the local scale (can't really claim that when your drones are freedoming tribes people from the skies with pulse carbines), on the galactic scale I dunno, sure they just realized how large nids and human swarms are, but all the same, only the nid swarms are actually trying to eat them, humans procrastinating because there are bigger threats than Tau
On the cosmic scale of things, Tau do not have weapons against warp beings, so they seem pretty underdog there

If anyone's wondering, the Defense Line is 50 point and the quad-cannon upgrade is another 50, I'm pretty sure.
Thanks, that makes sense
Seems better to just have trenches everywhere full of Kriegers with heavy bolters, hydras and basilisks

because Tau are fucking cowards that don't fight in melee and don't even understand what is happening due to mind control while Imperial Guardsmen and Guardswomen are truly the bravest.
Tau have no CQC
absolutely disgraceful, commit sudoku

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: July 07, 2016, 02:53:53 pm »

I don't really think about Tau as underdogs, at least not more than all other factions. Due to Grim Darkness of Far Future, nearly everyone is so fucked that they are underdogs. Imperium is underdogs, as everyone wants them dead, Eldar are underdogs because they're mostly dead and their souls get fucked, Chaos is underdogs because they're fucked no matter if they win or not, Orks are underdogs because everyone hunts them and treats as animals, Tau are underdogs because they are young compared to others, Necrons are underdogs because... reasons, and Tyranids are underdogs because of the same reasons, I guess.

Also I am irrationaly irritated about this line
/braverydebate
Space Marines are cowards unwilling to fight without their powered armor while their fellows must make do with cardboard. Guardsmen must be cowed by commissars in order to fight. They are all as a whole afraid to open their minds to new possibilities. The Tau are not fearful of their fellow species in the galaxy. What are you afraid of, Imperium? Worker drones? One may as well fear a Grox. Our pathfinders are some of the bravest individuals you shall find. They know exactly what they're getting into. Our Ethereals provide inspiration, not control. They extol us to reach for the heights of our ability, for the Greater Good. You fight in the name of death, hatred, and fear. Your Emperor would be ashamed of you, zealots.

Also it was a joke about people who make everything into a bravery debate where whoever's position is the most 'censored' is the winner. I get annoyed at them.

I mostly think of Tau as underdogs because for most factions, they're massive or it's just a matter of time before they win, theoretically. Taken as a whole, everyone but 'Nids is underdogs anyway. But within that, Imperium's massive and could crush Tau if they really wanted to within a few decades (for gathering everything together, mostly), Eldar are special psychic snowflakes, and just seem very...emo, I guess, about the whole thing, with God of Death once everyone's dead and blahblahblah which if it happens means they're certainly not underdogs, Chaos isn't underdogs because infinite Daemons and oorruption's great for keeping yourself strong, Dark Eldar are laughing it up, Orks can't lose cuz' if they die they die foitin' and if they don't it doesn't count, Imperium's massive and Primarchs could actually basically come back any time, and if Emperor becomes plain-old God of Mankind after croaking on Golden Throne, Necrons and Tyranids are duh. Tau are the only ones for whom their victory condition isn't either 'our full forces arrive' or 'our God arrives' or 'status quo' (DE). It's 'survive for another few centuries or millenia for super-good tech while what amounts to the end of days is upon us'.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: July 07, 2016, 03:13:27 pm »

Necrons are not underdogs, their c'tan are now underdogs. Necrons are sleepy, getting comfy, if they all woke up and executed a coherent algorithm, the plot would advance (plus their endgame can just be get comfy, wait for everyone to die and life to remake itself again, only pop out every now and then to make sure the warp doesn't take over)
Tyranids are not underdogs by Milky Way standards, but since they are extragalactic refugees, they are probably underdogs by their home galaxy's standards (if indeed, this is only the second galaxy they have nom'd). Just imagine, there is probably some other galaxy out there where Tyranids are having their last stand as their home hive is nomd by something even phattier
Orks are always winning
Bloody hell, Orks
ORKS
Only story I've seen Orks truly lose was that one sole surviving Ork that ended up stuck on a dormant tomb world with no fighting and sleepy crons who didn't want to waaaagh!
Imperium is on the defensive from massive apocalypses within and without, apocalypses plural, dying a slow death as the Emperor decays, top dog as a whole - each human is an undercog in the great machine (mechanicus often the literal undercog), regular people standing up to fight carnifexes and godspawns with flashlights. HOLD THE FUCKING LINE!
Eldar is the underdog because holy shit did they fall, they are a sad, sad remnant of what they once were. Nice thing though is that they still try to rebuild, but they can't in any meaningful sense rebuild their population when there is only war
Dark Eldar are dicks, I'd say they're underdogs but they don't really have win conditions they strive for. Their unknown haemonculus sects do, so I suppose within the Dark Eldar, the spooky hidden sects are the underdogs ready to overthrow the DE hierarchy with !!science!!
Tau are not underdogs on the local scale (can't really claim that when your drones are freedoming tribes people from the skies with pulse carbines), on the galactic scale I dunno, sure they just realized how large nids and human swarms are, but all the same, only the nid swarms are actually trying to eat them, humans procrastinating because there are bigger threats than Tau
On the cosmic scale of things, Tau do not have weapons against warp beings, so they seem pretty underdog there

Thanks, that makes sense
Seems better to just have trenches everywhere full of Kriegers with heavy bolters, hydras and basilisks

Tau have no CQC
absolutely disgraceful, commit sudoku

Spores will separate from this ork, and eventually stuff will grow for him to fight with. He just need not to die from boredom, and if he dies from boredom, orks get superior victory, as it will be even more spores.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: July 07, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »

The Tau don't have a hope in hell. They don't even recognize the existence of the Great Enemy because they're so far up their own cloacas with euphoric "rationalism" that they ignore what's right in front of them. But that also doesn't matter because the Tyranid hordes are going to eat them all easily. They have no right being an army and if GW gets any fucking sense in they'll squat the Tau like they should have three editions ago. Nobody buys Tau stuff except for weebs who think that they're so cool because they want to have sex with aliens and internet atheists. We don't glorify people who want to have sex with animals, so why is this alright? All that degeneracy amounts to is desecration of the great human race.

Warhammer is, and always has been about the triumph of humanity over its enemies. All this is are the writers being infected by trendy modern "tolerance" to such a degree that they feel the need to make up new classes to say discriminating against is wrong. The Tau are literally the fantasy of being castrated and owned as a slave by aliens because they can't bear to be real upstanding humans who claim the stars in fire and blood.

99% of so-called "Imperials" won't read or share this...the Emperor will bless the 1% that does.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4779 on: July 07, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »

Space Marines are cowards unwilling to fight without their powered armor while their fellows must make do with cardboard. Guardsmen must be cowed by commissars in order to fight.
Imperial Guardsmen cannot actually wear power armour and power armour is not in ubiquitous supply, whilst power armour increases survivability against cowards WHO CANNOT EVEN INTO CQC
Even the most cowardly penal legion forced to fight belies the fact that if the Guardsmen will not hold the line, the Commissar will hold the line, and all guardsmen can into CQC

They are all as a whole afraid to open their minds to new possibilities.
Not dumb enough to be ideologically subverted by Chaos and Tau more like
It's a two way street, no way in hell the Ethereals would ever let Tau convert to the worship of the Emperor

The Tau are not fearful of their fellow species in the galaxy. What are you afraid of, Imperium? Worker drones?
Aye, the Tau looked at walking BDSM spike and skull ninja elves and said "hey, those look like swell fellows. Let's say hello and have a cultural exchange." Consequences were pretty much what you'd expect, so the Tau made up for this by slaughtering Eldar who happened to look like the BDSM spike elves, sans spikes

One may as well fear a Grox. Our pathfinders are some of the bravest individuals you shall find. They know exactly what they're getting into. Our Ethereals provide inspiration, not control.
Yeah, inspiring pheremone control and mind control helmets lol

They extol us to reach for the heights of our ability, for the Greater Good. You fight in the name of death, hatred, and fear. Your Emperor would be ashamed of you, zealots.
Emperor wouldn't be ashamed, cos they fight for the Emperor
[Meanwhile the Emperor is eternally screaming cos he never asked to be worshiped, but it's not like Imperials know that lol]

Also it was a joke about people who make everything into a bravery debate where whoever's position is the most 'censored' is the winner. I get annoyed at them.
I mostly think of Tau as underdogs because for most factions, they're massive or it's just a matter of time before they win, theoretically.
Tau got nothing on the other factions, they don't have a single scenario where they can either destroy the galaxy or take it over, and they've got very little at stake, fighting only one war of extermination versus the nids whilst all the other factions are fighting wars of extermination against all the other factions

Tau are the only ones for whom their victory condition isn't either 'our full forces arrive' or 'our God arrives' or 'status quo' (DE). It's 'survive for another few centuries or millenia for super-good tech while what amounts to the end of days is upon us'.
No, look at the design philosophy
For every single faction, old is better. For Chaos this is because old tech and because older demons are more powerful, for the Imperium this is because they're relics of the Dark Age of Technology, for Eldar this is because they're relics (in fact their whole species is a relic) of their once peerless Empire, for Dark Eldar same as Eldar, for Necrons because they are immortals from the war of Heaven e.t.c.
Every faction that isn't the Orks or Nids, older is better because they are slowly losing to everything (perhaps? Story not advancing, but the overarching theme of 40k across most all factions is decay and sacrifice to keep things running in spite of the apocalypse. That and gothic architecture in space, with skulls and rock references everywhere). Tau break the mold cos they're young af, they haven't done anything that actually gives their loss meaning

The Necrontyr, the Eldar, the Imperium, they achieved the greatest - and have been suffering ever since, fighting to keep hold of whatever's left...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:16 pm »

Mind you a big part of it is because of the huge amount of stagnation and regression involved. (I forget the proper term for regression)

The Necron being the biggest example of this because they COULD advance... they just don't have a real need or desire to (they are already the most advanced faction by leagues whose armies almost never have casualties if you read the lore).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4781 on: July 07, 2016, 04:31:20 pm »

Mind you a big part of it is because of the huge amount of stagnation and regression involved. (I forget the proper term for regression)
Decay/Collapse/Disintegration do well in the context of falling Empires

The Necron being the biggest example of this because they COULD advance... they just don't have a real need or desire to (they are already the most advanced faction by leagues whose armies almost never have casualties if you read the lore).
Isn't it that they've reached the physical limits of technological advancement? Not much more they can do when they control the material world, besides maybe do warp research (which they can't cos no souls :[)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4782 on: July 07, 2016, 07:40:35 pm »

Holy shit, I love those Tau vs Imperium discussions.

humans who claim the stars in fire and blood.
Humanity Fuck Yeah.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: July 07, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »

Xenos get wrekt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4784 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:59 pm »

Holy shit, I love those Tau vs Imperium discussions.
It is the 2nd Millennium. For more than a few years Radio Controlled has sat immobile on the Lurker Throne of WH40k discussion thread. He is the Master of Forumkind by the will of the mods, and master of a million posts by the might of his inexhaustible will. He is a plotting lurker writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of 2014. He is the Carrion OP of the Thread for whom a thousand derails are sacrificed every day, so that the thread may never truly die.

Yet even in this shitposting state, the thread continues its eternal vibrance. Mighty battletoads cross the kitchenbot-infested miasma of the Lower Boards, the only route between distant general threads, their way lit by the Guidelines, the psychic manifestation of the Toad's will. Vast postcounts give rise in his name on uncounted threads. Greatest amongst his soldiers are the Adeptus Hobbytes, the SPEHSS Modeling, bio-engineered super-painters. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Loreguard and countless planetary armchair logistic forces, the ever vigilant Skubquisition and the statistic-priests of the Adeptus Metalslimehuntus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from north koreans, lewdness, flame bait - and worse.

To be a poster in such times is to be one amongst untold gorillions. It is to live in the cruelest and most pointless regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of euphoria and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and Tauposting, for in the grim dark future there is no plot advancement. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the anger of bored mods.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 824