Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965442 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5895 on: August 22, 2016, 10:12:16 pm »

I was glancing through the weekly deals on Steam, and noticed Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon. Anyone played it? Is it any good?
Or is this the wrong thread?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: August 22, 2016, 10:18:42 pm »

But... why?
Tau do not run on the rule of cool, Tau run on the rule of uncool.
Okay, Kot, you don't need to blatantly lie to get the message that you have an unreasoning hatred of the Tau that reaches the point of psychological obsession across, man.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:10 pm »

There are a few implants available, but you need to be a commander to get access to them. So for the most part you're out of luck as a grunt on that front. And a guardsman is as shit in melee as a fire warrior, bayonet or not. Needless to say if the guardsmen are in melee you've done fucked up. (30k is a different matter though, you actually have access to decent weapons like power axes which can tell astartes and the like to bugger off.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: August 22, 2016, 10:22:30 pm »

Not only that, but the most common implant probably enhances Ethereal mind control, and the second most common implant definitely partially overwrites your personality with the digitally enhanced edition of Tau Sun Tzu's memories.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5899 on: August 22, 2016, 10:27:24 pm »

Have you ever played AND enjoyed Panzer General like games, especially Panzer Corps? If yes - try it. If not... don't really bother. Personally I think it's a pretty good game but also really niche and proably boring for most. One of better games of it's genre, has pretty nice story mode dependent on how well you do in your campaings, most of wargear that could have been found at Armageddon is in and there is pretty easy and great level editor. Bonus points if you have someone to play MP with.

There are a few implants available, but you need to be a commander to get access to them. So for the most part you're out of luck as a grunt on that front. And a guardsman is as shit in melee as a fire warrior, bayonet or not. Needless to say if the guardsmen are in melee you've done fucked up. (30k is a different matter though, you actually have access to decent weapons like power axes which can tell astartes and the like to bugger off.)
Dude, I can accept that guardsmen are shit at melee USUALLY and when compared to, lets say, Astrates, but as bad as Fire Warriors? That is one of gravest insults I ever heard in this thread.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: August 22, 2016, 10:31:35 pm »

Yeah, well you send guardsmen to fight orks in melee and tell me how that works out for you. They will get the first hit in.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: August 22, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »

Have you ever played AND enjoyed Panzer General like games, especially Panzer Corps? If yes - try it. If not... don't really bother. Personally I think it's a pretty good game but also really niche and proably boring for most. One of better games of it's genre, has pretty nice story mode dependent on how well you do in your campaings, most of wargear that could have been found at Armageddon is in and there is pretty easy and great level editor. Bonus points if you have someone to play MP with.
Thank you! Having never played Panzer General, I'll have to pass.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: August 22, 2016, 10:44:51 pm »

Yeah, well you send guardsmen to fight orks in melee and tell me how that works out for you. They will get the first hit in.
Better odds than you're making it out to be. Admittedly not as good as the Imperial Auxiliaries days of everybody getting a power sword, but chainswords are pretty deadly even against nastier targets.

Like that one story where a single guardsman messily took apart one of the bigger Tyranid types, which was so awesome that the Space Marine he was with publicly sang his praises afterwards and gave him a purity seal.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: August 22, 2016, 10:52:44 pm »

A one in a million kill still doesn't speak well, especially what likely happened to the other nine hundred thousand guardsmen that tried the same thing. That, and chainswords aren't standard issue for the grunts, you need to hit sergeant to nab one.

Not that it matters much, what with just about everything else getting to gut you first and all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:31 pm »

That depends a lot on regimental standard, I would think. And world standard, for that matter. Your average deathworlder is about the size and hardiness of an Ork Boy if not a small Nob, and you're gonna see more melee weapons among Skull Takers than Vostroyans.

Beyond that, we're talking hypothetical battles, not provision. If you give a tau a chainsword it'll probably hurt itself. If you give a human a chainsword they have not too shabby odds of sticking it down some Vacuum Disorder Seaman's throat or disemboweling any Ork short of da Boss.

If you give them a power sword instead? Xenos and Daemon beware.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:01:56 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:21 pm »

Veterans on tabletop can get chainswords and shotguns. Not sure how good that is.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: August 22, 2016, 11:05:38 pm »

Those melee weapons would still be simple metal blades rather than chainswords or whatever. Sure, the odds can be evened with ambush tactics and the like but at a general level, you're better off just giving guardsmen lasguns. At least they way they're more likely to kill their targets without a horrible level of attrition by imperial standards.

@Tack: You'd probably be better off giving the vets special weapons like meltas, since that takes advantage of their higher BS.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: August 22, 2016, 11:10:22 pm »

Certainly they are better off with lasguns. I am only disputing the point that melee armed humans aren't a serious threat. Humans evolved for melee combat, and we're pretty good at it.

Given the proper technological upgrade, even the big boys of 40k have something to fear. Whereas for the Tau they kinda don't.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: August 22, 2016, 11:18:56 pm »

Yeah, but, as has been said before, getting into melee with the tau is a much bigger issue. S5 weapons are just plain nasty, especially since the tau get more shots at a longer range (And with pulse carbines, pinning too.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: August 22, 2016, 11:42:10 pm »

Man. I just wanna' know what happens when a mekboy decides to make a tau nice and orky by way of gubbins, and succeeds without killing the tau.*

Know the imperium has replacement arms of doom all over the place, so what's the tau equivalent? Where's their techpriest level, wrassle astartes in man-sized can, aug'd critters?

*E: Well, besides the advent of the fairly rare blue warboss that doesn't paint itself blue, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:46:20 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 824