Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965203 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6060 on: August 28, 2016, 05:53:05 pm »

He's investigating her possible Slaaneshi allegiance.

At first I thought he was just an upper hive noble kid, until he started sarcastically rattling off Inquisition phrases.  Maybe he started as one? 
I wonder what the quiet guy's deal is.  I might like him.  Seems like a foil to the brat, probably a "lancer" in the tvtropes sense.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6061 on: August 28, 2016, 06:00:46 pm »

Dude, the guy is like the embodiment of radical-to-the-point-of-heresy Inqusitor. Hope that Torquemada and Corville set him straight or he's totally going to get murdered by Coteaz "barrel of monkeys" after he goes heretic.

At first I thought he was just an upper hive noble kid, until he started sarcastically rattling off Inquisition phrases.  Maybe he started as one?
Marcus Allenbrisk is such radical dick because his previous (he's still an Interrogator, I think, he doesn't have the full Inquisiton privileges) master which had questionable methods died.

I wonder what the quiet guy's deal is.  I might like him.  Seems like a foil to the brat, probably a "lancer" in the tvtropes sense.
Quiet guy? You mean the retired guardsman (Corville) or Coteaz, because one of them is Marcus subordinate and the other is his boss, and both want to turn Marcus into good conservative puritan Inquisitor. The fact that Marcus "respects and admires" Coteaz is helpful, proably.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:20 pm »

So, basically, EDGY MYSTERIOUS SLANNESHI ASSASIN that Marcus fucks in spare time.

If you must bone...bone in His name.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6063 on: August 28, 2016, 07:10:23 pm »

Well, it's not like sex is outlawed. All those Imperial Guardsmen must come from somewhere, after all.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: August 28, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »

Look man, I'm not saying the Emperor shanghai'd orkish reproduction for humanity before he started the long porcelain break, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: August 28, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »

I don't see what makes you all think he's a radical. We really don't have enough information, but none of it suggest radicalness. Being a cocky roguish asshole and being a puritan are not mutually exclusive, it just changes who you make witty remarks at as you kill them.

I'm pretty sure he's not an interrogator, since in the prologue both the target and his assassin acolyte call him an Inquisitor, he wears the rosette, and while life is cheap in the Imperium I don't think interrogators and acolytes would formally proclaim a death sentence even when they kill someone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: August 28, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »

Yeah I could be wrong, but I got the impression that this brat was in a position of strong authority.  Since the Imperium cares more about killing the disloyal than vetting the killers.  It's disgusting (and suggestive of chaos taint) that he would torture a traitor so sadistically, but I can easily see that being a fact of life in the Imperium.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: August 28, 2016, 07:33:39 pm »

Yes, one can be a jerkish puritan or a professionalist radical.
Meaning that the hypothetical bioware-style inquisitor RPG could have two morality axes.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6068 on: August 28, 2016, 07:46:15 pm »

I don't see what makes you all think he's a radical. We really don't have enough information, but none of it suggest radicalness. Being a cocky roguish asshole and being a puritan are not mutually exclusive, it just changes who you make witty remarks at as you kill them.

I'm pretty sure he's not an interrogator, since in the prologue both the target and his assassin acolyte call him an Inquisitor, he wears the rosette, and while life is cheap in the Imperium I don't think interrogators and acolytes would formally proclaim a death sentence even when they kill someone.
Quote from: Official character "bio"
Marcus is a young and promising Inquisitor currently bordering the edge of radicalism. After the death of his former master, he now serves the puritanical Lord Inquisitor Torquemada Coteaz, a man he has always respected and admired.
For the first point - yeah he is apparently doing this and that, though what exactly is "bordering the edge of radicalism" remains open to question.
For the second point - I would think so too but I have no fucking idea, he apparently serves under Torquemada, which is kinda weird as far as I know. I mean, sure, Lord Inquisitor has some authority but it's mostly as a matter of overseeing other Inquisitors, not "MY LAWD, TARGET ACQUIRED."

Also, another quote:
Quote from: whateverwh40kwikibecauseIcan'tbearsedtolookthroughdorkheresypdfs
The Inquisition may offer its servants a number of means by which they may be identified. Most often this is in the form of the Rosette, a stylised symbol of the Inquisitional “I” accompanied by a skull. An Inquisitor may entrust his Acolytes and Throne Agents with a smaller rosette or similar “seal of the Inquisition” with which they may prove their authority should it come into question.
The Rosette I see on Marcus is quite small (the usual ones are FUCKHUGE usually (I think Torqs wears his on belt, and it's, you guessed it, FUCKHUGE), because that is how Imperium rolls) and might as well have been given to him by Torquemada. Note that the huge Marcus art on the page seems to lack that symbol... also, it's not that every I with few sticks through it is Inquisitorial Rosette, a lot of other people wear similar symbols to associate with Inquisition, the actual Rosette has identification stuff to actually prove that the person having it is Inquisitor and that the person having it is the person which is supposed to have it.

EDIT:
All in all, this is how the rest of the movie will look like.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:51:05 pm by Kot »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:22 pm »

What I suspect is that Marcus is an actual Inquisitor, but he's "under review", as it were, because his master's commendation isn't fully trustworthy. So they stick him under the eye of the biggest baddest hard-nosed puritan Lord Inquisitor in the Imperium to see if he'll slip up and accidentally into heresy or not.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: August 28, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »

What I suspect is that Marcus is an actual Inquisitor, but he's "under review", as it were, because his master's commendation isn't fully trustworthy. So they stick him under the eye of the biggest baddest hard-nosed puritan Lord Inquisitor in the Imperium to see if he'll slip up and accidentally into heresy or not.
Fyodor 'the innocent are guilty of wasting my time' Karamazov?

I kid :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: August 28, 2016, 08:16:27 pm »

Heh, the Conclaves aren't idiots. You only send people to Fyodor if you want a corpse in return. Besides, Torquemada is basically the puritan superstar of the Imperium, and while he's certainly loyal Fyodor is widely hated, even amongst other puritans. He is not exactly a stabilizing element, and that whole thing with the paranoid child torture just about got him censured, prevented only by finding a few actual chaos cultists from it.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6072 on: August 28, 2016, 08:22:01 pm »

Makes sense. Maybe his Inquisitor died in fishy circumstances, was pretty fishy himself (I suppose Marcus "bordering the edge of radicalism" didin't got from nowhere) and so on. And Torquemada is the best person to check him, after all, he's the master of "Barrel of Monkeys" tactic, which seems useful when dealing with cocky greenhorn Inquisitors.

Karamazov is as Puritan as you can get, honestly. I mean, while he's the "batshit-crazy-Puritan" and Torquemada is the "questionably-sane-Puritan", they're both Puritan hardasses, though they are from different sub-factions, IIRC.

EDIT:
I want to see Torquemada Psyber-Eagle so much. ;-;
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:25:02 pm by Kot »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: August 28, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »

Funnily enough I suspect the only reason Karamazov found chaos cultists is that his interrogation methods were so harsh that the prisoners turned to Chaos in an attempt to be saved :P
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6074 on: August 28, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »

Nah.
The boy, Icarael, was an rebellion leader against an Traitor Cardinal, then Fyodor arrived, purged the Cardinal and took the preacher to his fortress to "interrogate" him for six months or so (in a Chamber of Truth and Penitence, which doesn't seem really inviting), which caused the Ecclesiarch (and fair bit of Thorians) to flip the fuck out and call the rest of Inquisition on the Karamazov ass, which happened, and only when he was threatened by an siege, the Inquisitor gave away the charred remains of the preacher. Of course, there was an investigation, and Karamazov name was cleared publically when they (not him, mind you) found out that the guys followers were actually tainted by Chaos so Fyodor was right all along.

Doesn't change that Ecclesiarchy and like half of Inquisition hates Fyodor guts... the other half proably thinks he's a pretty swell dude, though.

EDIT:
I myself think that the Inquisitor whose acolyte Marcus were was Inquisitor Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau. The man whose only rival could be Rogue Trader Carlos McConnell.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:37:47 pm by Kot »
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 824