Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971201 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6105 on: August 30, 2016, 05:26:48 pm »

And the one good ending involves personally killing all your followers for heresy.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6106 on: August 30, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »

But you still get to bone an hawt loyal noblewoman or something. I imagine the outrage when homosexual/Slanneshisexual relationships cause you to die from being declared an heretic. Hurr durr game punishes for being an heretic boooooooo!!!!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: August 30, 2016, 06:03:37 pm »

Eh, I doubt the galactic culture of the Imperium gets hung up on homosexuality and the like. For people with important bloodlines it's probably more like China: guarantee the heir and you can do whatever otherwise. For people without they probably just don't care. The Imperial Cult is, in the darkest way, a humanist religion and doesn't get caught up on particulars outside of preserving the Imperium and praising the Emperor. Planetary cultures, who knows.

Regardless, you don't really hit Slaanesh-tier until the death fetishes and goats.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: August 30, 2016, 06:48:11 pm »

I doubt that homosexuality is heresy.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: August 30, 2016, 07:05:19 pm »

Its prob bad if you're just some worker-menial dweeb, but then I guess arbites will prob smash your legs for doing anything not entirely expected of you. If you're hive scum then nobody prob cares, and if you're an imperial noble then you can probably do anything really. If you're a guardsman you'll prob get shot by a comissar, not for being homossexual, but for DOING THINGS YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED WHILE ON DUTY, and if you're a comissar then you could prob do it, but its very likely you don't care about sex unless you're a certain HERO OF THE IMPERIUM.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: August 30, 2016, 07:07:29 pm »

Apparently there are references to lesbian and gay couples in Prospero Burns and the Cain novels, respectively. The general internet consensus is that it varies from world to world, and system to system, and that, mostly, "as long as you fight and bleed and die for the Imperium, do your duty and worship the Emperor, nobody gives a crap."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: August 30, 2016, 07:14:32 pm »

I would think that it would vary, but given the chaos --> bad vein, and given that pleasure and the likes is a corrupting influence, I am somewhat suprised there is no veggie tales in space.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: August 30, 2016, 07:19:10 pm »

Slaanesh isn't pleasure so much as it is excess. Certainly there are witheringly puritanical people in the Imperium, but we're also talking about the society that has Paradise Worlds.

Honestly? The kind of thing you're thinking of with sexual repression only seems to come up in societies stuck in their industrial periods. With the Imperium's huge disparity nobody watches the poor and the rich can do as they please, so it doesn't have a lot of space to take root.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: August 30, 2016, 07:24:11 pm »

I would think that it would vary, but given the chaos --> bad vein, and given that pleasure and the likes is a corrupting influence, I am somewhat suprised there is no veggie tales in space.

But there is. It just happens to involve more heretic gutting and mutant burning. Probably platitudes that don't quite sound right too.

"And so remember kids, if your neighbor keeps coughing after a week, he's probably a Nurgle worshiper and should be burned." And segways right into a commercial for Emperor's Owntm brand Soylens Viridians chips, potato flavored.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: August 30, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »

Yeah, as far as I can tell, genuine love and affection is basically Slaanesh's opposite, in an Imperial sense. It's not about wanting your partner to feel pleasured; it's all about me me me! with the Prince of Pain.

Imperium makes a big deal about dehumanizing it's people, but that has almost nothing to do with Chaos (other than enabling the others to eliminate anyone who might conceivably be corrupted without overt psychological trauma, since that leads to Chaos even more surely). It has to do with the psychological necessities of a total war state against almost overwhelming odds. It's much easier to order meat, or a statistic, into the grinder than it is to order men and women you've formed a bond with. A servitor made of someone you've spoken to and laughed with will drive so but the coldest and most inhuman of people mad with time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:29 pm »

Slaneesh the torture-orgy god is certainly not a god for caring and compassion. Nurgle is the only god who even has a hint of that, but even that's more of a "I must share my gift with everyone!" than genuine "I value the lives of others". He'll also infect you with brain altering tonsil maggots if you let'em, so quite a mixed bag.

I imagine Homosexuality might not fair well in certain sections of the Imperium (doesn't say too much though, given that being *sane* is a bad sign in certain parts), but in general if it does receive scorn or censure its much more in the line of "Stop that!" A: "It encourages Slaneesh worship!", B: "It doesn't produce babies!", or C: "You should be busy working or fighting, not fucking!"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:33:51 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6116 on: August 30, 2016, 11:05:34 pm »

B: "It doesn't produce babies!"
Yeah, actually... I belive this is all that Imperium has problem with when it comes to homosexuality. If you produce some offspring whilist prodding another dude in ass (depending on how you do it the "A: "It encourages Slaneesh worship!"" might apply but it might also not, it depends on the nature of prodding)  or scissoring as Guardswomen (though, in this case, the "C: "You should be busy working or fighting, not fucking!"" applies) , nobody gives a fuck (except you and your partner, of course).

There are few exceptions like Sororitas and not-really-ever-explained-straight Marines (but it proably differs from Chapter to Chapter), but other than that if you aren't overdoing it and also providing kids if you're supposed to, sex is A-Okay in Imperium.

Masturbation, on the other hand, is extreme heresy.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: August 31, 2016, 12:07:20 am »

I figure the Imperium has the same prevailing moral attitude about sexuality that Ancient Rome did. Known of and tolerated but not officially condoned.

baby-making

I really doubt it's official Imperial policy that citizens must bang for the Emprah and make babbies. I mean, that'd totally be in line with the Imperium's totalitarian mindset but....it hasn't really manifested anywhere, except in isolated examples (often involving the Mechanicum) of indentured populations forced to reproduce for "the cause." Or the occasional weird paradigm that forms on Imperial worlds. It's sort of like....there's no Federal policy on homosexuality in the Imperium for or against. At the State level, it can be anything. [insert standard 40k disclaimer about anything being possible out of a billion worlds here]

It's generally in line with 40k's policy of "let's not talk about sex baby."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:11:49 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: August 31, 2016, 12:09:32 am »

I think you'd basically see the gradient follow the world's technological standards. Sepheris Secundus, for example, is the kind of place where they'd persecute same-sex relationships.

Granted, that's kind of a particular example, what with the cutting of your fingers to get married.
No Gods, No Masters.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: August 31, 2016, 12:14:54 am »

not-really-ever-explained-straight Marines (but it proably differs from Chapter to Chapter)
I think that they get the sex bit of their brains chemically lobotomized.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 824