Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965543 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6255 on: September 03, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »

How lethal is hellgun?
What is the best it can penetrate with its fire? Can it pierce power armour?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6256 on: September 03, 2016, 02:58:06 pm »

How lethal is hellgun?
Very. It's said to be on-par with a Bolter.

I'd say yes.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: September 03, 2016, 02:58:29 pm »

It can. Specifically.

This is why it doesn't have a clip, but instead has a backpack, and is said to shriek as it fires.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: September 03, 2016, 04:28:30 pm »

Er...

If it helps, in the Rogue Trader rpg 1e manual, hellguns do 1d10+4 damage and pierce 7 armour, while bolters do 1d10+5 damage and pierce 4 armour (though bolters roll twice and take the highest).

So hellguns are pretty stronk.
For comparison in the same system a lasgun is 1d10+3, but has no armour pen at all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: September 03, 2016, 09:52:49 pm »

How lethal is hellgun?
Very. It's said to be on-par with a Bolter.

I'd say yes.

Stats wise in the the FF table top, Bolter > Hellgun. That's been my impression from reading too. Hellgun is an overcharged lasgun with actual AP and a little more top end damage. Against an unarmored human it frags their asses pretty thoroughly. To power armor, it actually has the potential to penetrate somewhere other than the lightly armored joints, but not much of one. More concussion force that a las gun, but still not a serious threat unless it's massed fire.

Bolters IMO still overrule Hellguns, but only because GWS deems it so.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 09:57:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: September 03, 2016, 09:58:45 pm »

It makes a decent amount of sense against carapace or power. Using a heat based weapon to attack a ceramic based armor is not the greatest of ideas.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6261 on: September 03, 2016, 10:02:43 pm »

Eh, it has some serious advantages like effectively unlimited amount of shoots, being very accurate (pointing an laser pointer is not exactly hard) and capable of sending so many shoots downrange it basically continuous stream of light. None of this seems to be simulated in rules.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: September 03, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »

All of those are indeed great advantages, and for the most part they work out, which is why the IG use las as their mainline. But the ceramic counter is exactly why small parties of CSM can potentially slaughter whole armies of IG.

I wonder if this kind of dichotomy will arise in meatspace when we finally crack personal directed energy weapons. A ceramic plate is terrible to stop bullets, but could stop lasers to proportions much higher than the difficulty of making good lasers makes practical. Yet anybody without them is maximum fucked.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: September 03, 2016, 10:49:12 pm »

... what? Last I checked we use ceramic plates right now for bulletproof vests. Nevermind forty thousand years of space magic ceramic. They're not even remotely terrible at stopping bullets.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: September 03, 2016, 11:02:04 pm »

It's a bit more complicated.
A ceramic is a non-metallic, inorganic material—like glass, but much stronger and consisting of a variety of possible materials. Ceramic plates, typically composed of boron carbide or near variants, are very popular in military application. These materials offer very high ballistic value. However, they do not do very well at dispersing blunt trauma. As a result they are often backed with materials like aramid fabrics, high density plastics, and/or metals. The advantages of ceramic armor is that they are not only lighter than metals, but much harder as well, which enables them to deform most penetrators.

The deeper a projectile burrows into a ceramic plate, the more it will deform from grinding against the comminuted plate material. But compared to steel or titanium, ceramic plates have inferior multi-hit resistance due to their brittle nature. They are particularly vulnerable to rounds which hit in a tight grouping, as these can exploit stress concentration and shatter the plate. [1] One example of this would be the double tap, a technique whereby the shooter fires two quick shots at the vital zone of the target.
In short, layers are OP. The big question is: Will an interior ceramic plate effectively diffuse the energy of a laser? If it has to be on the outside to work, that will present a problem if you're sometimes encountering bullets.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: September 03, 2016, 11:22:00 pm »

Tbh, I'm pretty sure I actually remember some novel or another mentioning the flak jackets (or some of the carapace armor?) did use ceramic inserts, alongside the cloth itself. Or could, anyway. I guess they do alright, but one of those things that is easy to forget is that shit like lasguns are actually pretty damn powerful, so even if it does stop the direct hit, there's all that other stuff going on it's not going to do much against. Congrats, you kept the lasbeam from burning through you, now please enjoy the delightful feeling of superheated air boiling off your skin :3

... though impy medicine being what it is you might just recover from that if anyone cares enough to treat you.

Still, who knows. These are forty thousand years of ork heaven ceramics. Maybe the greenskins think it works, and so it does.

... can't lie, now I'm imagining that what lies in the depths of Mars isn't the void dragon but an inner sect of mechanicus dedicated to ork propaganda, tirelessly attempting to manipulate orkish memetic development to make sure they think imperial tech works better than is physically possible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6266 on: September 03, 2016, 11:36:58 pm »

I belive that Lasguns are so powerful that what kills you is not actually the heat itself, but the explosion that happens when it hits you. And Hellguns are way more powerful.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: September 04, 2016, 12:39:32 am »

Based on what I remember of the field manual for treating a lasgun wound, neither of those are true. :P

I mean, both are in a way, but it was the water in your.body part that we got rapidly vaporizing, and the swelling and whatnot that followed, that actually killed you.

I mean, if it hadn't already hit something vital.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: September 04, 2016, 12:42:29 am »

That reminds me, I really need to sit and down re-read both my IG Uplifting Infantry Primers cover to cover.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: September 04, 2016, 03:38:49 am »

But yeah, hellguns, or hot shot lasguns as they're now apparently called, are S3 AP3 to the bolter's S4 AP5. So yeah, able to pierce power armor easily, but not as much straight-up stopping power.

Hot shot volley guns, however, are the new weapon GW brought out which are easily superior to bolters. S4 AP 3 Salvo 2/4. Consider them the LMG equivalent of a hellgun.

Edit: cheers Taricus
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:34:43 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 824