Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965334 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9735 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:03 pm »

The implication, at least as I've always seen it, is that the Emperor finally snapped (and started calling himself things like "Revelation" and "The Emperor") during Old Night. He'd spent thousands of years just influencing, sitting on the sidelines and only nudging humanity where it needed to go. And that was working out all the way into the Dark Age of Technology with the rise of the Federation.

Then Slannesh is born, everything goes to shit, and humanity's easy path to victory vanishes. And after thousands of years of galactic anarchy he finally decided that humanity was never going to pick itself up again, so it was his job to rule directly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9736 on: November 17, 2017, 06:55:55 pm »

Yeah but again it makes me wonder; human among the stars collapses during Old Night. What does he do though? Bunker down and start preparing the long game?

I seem to recall some HH stories that imply he was traveling the galaxy doing "stuff" during Old Night. Like opening that doorway to the Realm of Chaos and dealing with the Chaos Gods, for one (a door Horus later found and went through himself as well.) My timing could be off though; it's a large span of time we're talking about here. Which, again, just makes me wonder what a guy like the Emperor was doing for a couple thousand years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9737 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:54 pm »

Then Slannesh is born, everything goes to shit, and humanity's easy path to victory vanishes. And after thousands of years of galactic anarchy he finally decided that humanity was never going to pick itself up again, so it was his job to rule directly.

Or at least, that is what the Imperium would like very much for its citizens to believe, in common with every other tyranny throughout history: that their dictatorial impulses and their increasingly tenuously justified revanchism alike spring from a moral imperative to save the defeated and downtrodden people from themselves.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9738 on: November 17, 2017, 07:13:47 pm »

Yeah but again it makes me wonder; human among the stars collapses during Old Night. What does he do though? Bunker down and start preparing the long game?

I seem to recall some HH stories that imply he was traveling the galaxy doing "stuff" during Old Night. Like opening that doorway to the Realm of Chaos and dealing with the Chaos Gods, for one (a door Horus later found and went through himself as well.) My timing could be off though; it's a large span of time we're talking about here. Which, again, just makes me wonder what a guy like the Emperor was doing for a couple thousand years.
One theory I've heard espoused is that he was going around stomping all the daemon princes trying to ascend on all the various psyker-fucked worlds so that when the Great Crusade happened they wouldn't have to deal with a million unkillable fuckers.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9739 on: November 17, 2017, 07:21:18 pm »

As a particularly casual fan...
Maybe the Emperor Of Mankind meant to conquer the warpWebway.  More arcane, but probably far less expansive in sheer "land".  I mean, only the Eldar live there.  And the statistically minor dark-eldar.
I seem to remember a lot of implications that The Emperor meant to create at least a foothold in the webway, or rather a HUMAN webway.  But Horus et cetera.

(Obviously GW didn't mean that at the time, they had no idea.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9740 on: November 17, 2017, 07:33:54 pm »

As a particularly casual fan...
Maybe the Emperor Of Mankind meant to conquer the warpWebway.  More arcane, but probably far less expansive in sheer "land".  I mean, only the Eldar live there.  And the statistically minor dark-eldar.
I seem to remember a lot of implications that The Emperor meant to create at least a foothold in the webway, or rather a HUMAN webway.  But Horus et cetera.

(Obviously GW didn't mean that at the time, they had no idea.)

That was explicitly stated to be the original purpose of the Golden Throne, yes. Does beg the question why he had to go as far as Ullanor first, though, and not tell anybody what he was doing.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9741 on: November 17, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »

There seemed to be some threats that arose which required the Emperor's personal attention, such as Gharkull Blackfang, who nearly killed both Horus and the Emperor in single combat. There were likely all manner of those things about. Greater Daemons, Transcendent C'tan, nameless horrors in the black.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9742 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:31 pm »

*looks at The Beast Arising series*

He had to conquer all the rising Ork empires in the wake of the Eldar falling off their job as the galaxy's Ork pruners before Gharkul or some other Ork went Krork and fucked the whole galaxy over.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9743 on: November 17, 2017, 10:06:44 pm »

Or at least, that is what the Imperium would like very much for its citizens to believe, in common with every other tyranny throughout history: that their dictatorial impulses and their increasingly tenuously justified revanchism alike spring from a moral imperative to save the defeated and downtrodden people from themselves.

I'm pretty sure the Emprah snapping and deciding to goose-step humanity to his brighter future since subtle (and not so subtle, since it's sometimes  implied he was literally Jesus a few times) means of influencing it had failed is actual hard canon, for the moment at least
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9744 on: November 18, 2017, 12:08:12 am »

*looks at The Beast Arising series*

He had to conquer all the rising Ork empires in the wake of the Eldar falling off their job as the galaxy's Ork pruners before Gharkul or some other Ork went Krork and fucked the whole galaxy over.
Yeah, we saw the bigger badasses among the Beast's WAAGGGHHH be able to do things like maul a Terminator-armored Chapter Master and kill another in under 30 seconds. (Throneworld)

An army of those...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9745 on: November 20, 2017, 09:15:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Been thinking back to the grim dark future of only peace, and began wondering about one possible scenario that could bring it about: Ork-Imperium unification. Orks win, conquer the galaxy, humans take to worshiping Gork and Mork (or perhaps the Orks loot the Emperor and everyone believes him to be Gork and Mork), whatever the end result is, the unrelenting WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! is simply unstoppable. And with Yarrick, and with the Diggas on Gorkamorka, it's clear that humanity and orkanity can become symbiotic, even psychically intertwined. The Orks believe Yarrick is immortal, therefore he becomes immortal. The Orks believe the Emperor gives the best fight around, the Emperor gets off his bony bum to give some good fights all around. Also trying to imagine how the Imperial bureaucracy combines with innate Orkish talent would be... Fantastic

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9746 on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:48 am »

If it were ‘t for the monstrosity that was the beast novels, i’d Describe them as unable to form a society.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9747 on: November 20, 2017, 10:36:08 am »

Hey, so, Quick question. I'm in the middle of converting an Ork Mek. I really am trying to get the inherent Zaniness of them down, and i was thinking of how to do this. Suddenly I had an Idea: Duct tape. The most Orky thing ever. Its all-purpose, rudimentary, and is frankly effective since we believe its effective. But heres the problem: How do I model a roll of duct tape onto my Mek? Ive already got a free hand he can use to hold it, but i cant find anything to use.

If any of you Gitz have any suggestion, Warboss pORK would love to here them.

Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9748 on: November 20, 2017, 11:09:09 am »

Green stuff?

Roll up some normal masking tape, paint some glue on to it to make it rigid, paint it silver?

Or just go buy some duct tape and rip some off and put it in his hand.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9749 on: November 20, 2017, 01:18:12 pm »

No, I mean like a roll of tape. And im terrible with green stuff for things beyond smoothing cracks.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 648 649 [650] 651 652 ... 824