Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965362 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9825 on: December 11, 2017, 11:13:46 am »

We need warpshootas. Dakka that goes into the warp right after being fired, so you can fill demons with lead from the comfort of realspace.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: December 11, 2017, 12:33:37 pm »

We need warpshootas. Dakka that goes into the warp right after being fired, so you can fill demons with lead from the comfort of realspace.

This would, as a side bonus, be a step in the right direction towards accomplishing the Emperors goal of "Enough Dakka."
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: December 11, 2017, 12:50:34 pm »

"At the point in time when bullets can pass through the interdimensional walls. When firepower takes up the entirety and eternity of space and time, all beings stuck in a neverending life and death cycle as bullets recover and destroy their bodies in quick succession. No one is able to think about anything but the sheer force of the bullets rapidly flying literally everywhere in the materium turning the warp itself into nothing but a sea of automatic weaponry.. Then there will be enough dakka. Or, at least almost."
-The God Emperor of Mankind
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: December 11, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »

Yeah. Shooting things into the warp would tick one dimension off the list.

Hey, dont Orks already do that? With Shokk Attack Guns? Granted, the Snotlings come back, but Im sure they could just have it so theres no exit point.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: December 11, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »

Im sure they could just have it so theres no exit point.
But then you'll miss the fun of having this:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:56:22 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: December 11, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »

Killing the entity per se tends to happen pretty rarely anyway, even Space Marines usually just banish the thing. Killing the deamon itself tends to be an expert task, usually reserved for Grey Knights or the biggest crazies of Inquisition and Eldar/Necrons, especially since it usually involves going to Warp itself (KALDOR FUCKING DRAIGO SNORTING THAT WARP DUST).
But yeah, for the "here and now" intents and purposes Imperial Guard can totally banish a deamon from realspace with enough firepower.

Killing a daemon in the Warp doesn't actually do anything to it according to Draigo's fluff*. He kills the same daemons over and over again but they just come back fairly quickly each time. Nothing he does is permanent, it's just part of the general mayhem. He can only make a real difference when he gets out of the Warp for his little sojourns and can save mortals from daemonic incursions. He's killed the Bloodthirster whose axe he turned into his sword a lot. They're practically shonen anime rivals.  :P

To actually kill a daemon is incredibly hard. The only 'normal' thing that could was the Holocaust power from DH1, which destroyed the souls of anything it killed. The Grey Knights have a bunch locked up in (Necron?) pocket dimension boxes because it's the easiest way to take out a powerful daemon permanently.

I think M'kar the Reborn was perma-killed by a bone from the marine who killed him while he was still human-ish during the Heresy, but I'm not sure if that just banished him or not. There's a few similar things were the daemon might be perma-dead, but how do you know unless the novel/fluff text explicitly says so?

*Also Soul Grinder fluff, though not some Khorne fluff. Soul Grinders die a lot and get rebuilt all the time, stacking their debt to be free again each time, but vanquished daemons fight a perpetual war for the right to become Soul Grinders outside the Iron Forge. Fluff for Skarbrand and Skulltaker says they killed other Khorne daemons to rise in rank, but that might be poetic license referring to them temporarily killing other daemons. Skarbrand did turn two of his defeated rivals into his axes, so something had to stick around after he butchered them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: December 11, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »

Why did people immediately think I was talking about killing them when I didn't use the word "kill" but DID use words like "banish" and "get rid of"?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: December 11, 2017, 03:16:56 pm »

Probably because people often refer to banishing them as killing them, they just don't mean actually perma-killing them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: December 11, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

How to permakill demon in easy steps:
1: get blank
2: pick up blank
3: hit demon with blank
4: repeat 3, getting more blanks as needed when they die

easy
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: December 11, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »

Well, killing a demon is actually really easy. What isnt easy is to get everyone to go along with it

The Chaos Gods are reflections of the general mindsets of the material peoples. If the races of the galaxy would stop being so damn Grimdark, the Chaos Gods would follow suit. However, Humanity (And the Eldar, to a certain extent) instead of focusing on un-fucking up their society, focus instead on "Beating" Chaos. This leads to them making more and more fanatical and stupid, grimdark decisions that make their own societies even more fucked up, which in turn causes Chaos to be even more fucked up, which, in turn, due to its effect on everyones psyches, causes everyone else to become more fucked up. Remember, when the Old Ones were still kicking around, the Warp was the "Realm of Souls" and wasnt all that bad. It was mostly just an interdimensional plane full of weird spirit energy and shit. However, when the Old Ones got slaughtered ruthlessly, they're race-wide turmoil messed up the Warp. When the Ctan started eating souls, it caused the Warp to be even more messed up, as suddenly its main composite was getting ripped out. AND THEN, when the Eldar Murder-fucked everything, the resulting society-and-galaxy-spanning completely messed up methodology of thinking caused the God Slaanesh to be "born" (Though really Gods dont die or become born, but thats another topic)

In short, if everyone put down their weapons and tried to be peaceful, then everything would eventually quiet down, and Daemons would either A. Die or B. Become something extremely dissimilar to the daemons we know now. But instead, Chaos causes Material turmoil, Material Turmoil disrupts Chaos, and so everyone is stuck in an eternal cycle of GrimDarkness that could be ended in literally a few years.

In Short: Wanna remove a Daemon from existance? Stop being a shitty person.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: December 11, 2017, 03:22:36 pm »

I saw you put the right term and responded in kind, you could destroy the physical body with firepower not the entity, which is banishing.

Sometimes it requires not only firing at the thing, but destroying altars, and/or interrupting rituals that are bounding it to the real space too. All that can too be done with firepower.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: December 11, 2017, 03:26:28 pm »

The problem with ending demons with just being reasonable is that even if everyone who could decided to be nice, you're still left with orks and nids. Neither of which really care about getting rid of demons. Orks feed gork and mork, and nids feed the hivemind, but them fighting all the humans and eldar will still cause warp-fuckedness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9837 on: December 11, 2017, 04:13:28 pm »

Demons are entities of the warp, the warp is a reflection of the minds of the materium. Thus it stands to reason, to ask a question. Is it that demons cannot easily be permanently killed, or is it that killing a demon is an inherently self-defeating concept? Fighting hordes of bloodletters, even if you wiped them all out, would fuel their recreation (in greater numbers!). That embrace of survival of the fittest would continue creating more warrior-warp spawns. But if you made peace with the bloodletters, made peace in the galaxy, the bloodletters would simply cease to be bloodletters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: December 11, 2017, 04:23:11 pm »

I heard something about a civ-style warhammer 40k 4x, have I gone mad or did it just fly over my head?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: December 11, 2017, 04:25:35 pm »

Too bad there is only war, and that if everyone made peace the Daemons would slaughter them all because it wouldn't be instant.

Oh, and there's all the crazy corrupted people on Daemonworlds to help with the whole "Warp's fucked up" thing.

You aren't going to cancel the Gods any more than you can cancel a person.

Not to mention the eternal hatreds forged over thousands of years.

And the Orks. Can't forget the Orks.

Well, I guess in the situation of an Ork victory the Chaos Gods would die. Makes you wonder if the Orks were put out later in the War in Heaven, when the Warp was turbulent, to subdue the other races, but got their asses shoved in by the Eldar Empire cause they didn't wanna be subdued, they wanted to PAR-TAY!
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 824