Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965457 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: A comparative biology of Beastmen.
« Reply #10305 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:19 am »

I'm looking at some stuff in Dark Heresy Second Edition and some of this stuff is really confusing me.

You can start with the Adepta Sororitas background but Sister of Battle is an Elite Advance, so you can't start with it, but you can pick the Warrior role. Narratively speaking, how does that work? How can you be a dedicated warrior of the Sororitas yet not be a Sister of Battle?

There's another thing that confuses me too. To become a proper Sister of Battle, one of the requirements is to have 50 Influence, but according to the stats the book gives us, a Sister of Battle Canoness only has 41 influence. Why is it that a Canoness has less Influence than the amount you need to become a Sister of Battle at all?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: May 05, 2018, 03:43:01 am »

Since the actual answer is probably that they never thought about it, here's my stab at a narrative patch:

1. As the Sisters recruit primarily progena and start pretty young, it's fair to posit that there's some trainee rank below Sister intended to handle them administratively without confusing them with actual battle-ready Sisters. Maybe acolytes start at the tail end of that? Call them Squires or Little Sisters or something, maybe.

2. Perhaps the higher requirement is reflective of the assumption that the players are Inquisitorial acolytes, so the Sisters are reluctant to promote someone with divided loyalties? They're presumably not expecting the acolyte to be as at their disposal as an ordinary Sister would be, so it's sort of a more martial version of an honorary degree.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 03:44:43 am by Trekkin »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: May 05, 2018, 07:53:37 am »

What does daemonifuge mean? It's both Ephrael Stern's title and the name of the section in DH2E: Enemies Beyond covering wargear.

I dont know why its the name of the wargear section, but if I remember correctly the demonifuge was a horrifying amalgation of hideously malformed Sister prisoners kept alive by chaos powers that empowered Ephrael "Where are you hiding the protein" Stern, enabling her to escape her chaos captors

etymololigically (fuck), its probbably a simple derivation of "demon" and "centrifuge"
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: May 05, 2018, 12:30:14 pm »

What does daemonifuge mean? It's both Ephrael Stern's title and the name of the section in DH2E: Enemies Beyond covering wargear.

I dont know why its the name of the wargear section, but if I remember correctly the demonifuge was a horrifying amalgation of hideously malformed Sister prisoners kept alive by chaos powers that empowered Ephrael "Where are you hiding the protein" Stern, enabling her to escape her chaos captors

etymololigically (fuck), its probbably a simple derivation of "demon" and "centrifuge"

Amusing as that image is (the daemon centrifuge, not the amalgamation), it's probably got more to do with -fuge being from the Latin fugāre, meaning to drive away, expel, or run off.

"Thing for expelling daemons" makes sense for a wargear chapter, I think.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: May 05, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »

Dark Heresy

As someone who owns most of the books and has even run the game....Fantasy Flight isn't always the most rigorous when it comes to rules making sense or avoiding typos. The errata for the Dark Heresy rulebook is substantial. So at least on some of those it might be a typo or mistake causing you confusion, plenty of things like that left me scratching my head when I tried to run it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: May 06, 2018, 06:05:30 am »

Needs more skulls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No idea what the joke is, I see a perfectly normal picture of custodes.

Personally it gets me deeper into a 40k work when the author makes the effort to flush out their worlds with xenoforms that aren't just ravenous, fanged and spiked beasties. But that's generally the exception rather than the rule.
Show me the ratio of awesome 40k lit set on Death Worlds as opposed to set on Paradise worlds, then it's more acceptable.
I'm sure they have room for the beautiful and ethereal, and above all mass-produced economical xenoflora, but it's not nearly as sexy or mass-appealing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:00:17 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: May 06, 2018, 07:11:32 am »

I'm looking at some stuff in Dark Heresy Second Edition and some of this stuff is really confusing me.

You can start with the Adepta Sororitas background but Sister of Battle is an Elite Advance, so you can't start with it, but you can pick the Warrior role. Narratively speaking, how does that work? How can you be a dedicated warrior of the Sororitas yet not be a Sister of Battle?

There's another thing that confuses me too. To become a proper Sister of Battle, one of the requirements is to have 50 Influence, but according to the stats the book gives us, a Sister of Battle Canoness only has 41 influence. Why is it that a Canoness has less Influence than the amount you need to become a Sister of Battle at all?

Novice Sister, I’m guessing. The Warrior role doesn’t denote any official rank. You can also have a campaign with higher start XP, allowing you to start with the Advance. Keep in mind the background encompasses all the Sororitas orders - so physicians, diplomats and the like too. You could be a particularly aggressive Hospitalier with that role if you like.

I think Influence demands are fairly arbitrary, but Influence does change as you play, so maybe the Reinforcement Canoness is simply having a bad day? Maybe she’s called in her favors and burned her bridges when you get her. Explains why she’s on the Inquisition’s beck and call.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: May 06, 2018, 07:50:05 am »

Looking through Second Edition some more and something else has me confused now. You have the Linguistics skill but you also have Trade (Linguist). They both seem to be about deciphering written and spoken language, so what's the difference?

No idea what the joke is, I see a perfectly normal picture of custodes.
Please get another picture to link to instead of one that auto downloads when you open it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09:57 am »

Could’ve just [img tagged it I guess
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: May 06, 2018, 12:41:01 pm »

Looking through Second Edition some more and something else has me confused now. You have the Linguistics skill but you also have Trade (Linguist). They both seem to be about deciphering written and spoken language, so what's the difference?

Having about zero experience with the source you're talking about, I'm going to guess that Linguistics is the skill of translating stuff, while Trade (Linguist) is the skill of offering your services of such.

...Or, given that it's 40k, Trade (Linguist) is really the skill of buying and selling linguists themselves. How expensive is a Sister Dialogous after all?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10315 on: May 06, 2018, 01:49:26 pm »

Honestly, I'd assume that they changed from Trade(linguist) to Linguistics or the other way around halfway through making the book and then forgot to change the parts they'd already written. :V
Because, yeah, sounds like the same skill. So Treat it as the same skill, I say.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: May 06, 2018, 02:04:39 pm »

We just gave up on Knowledge skills in general. That was one place where I felt DH packed in a shit load of kruft. Sure, if your group is serious about RP and loves spending experience for the sake of RP, then having 3 levels of occult knowledge, or occult knowledge (specialty), to buy may seem worth it. But for your average min maxer, everyone kept asking me as GM what the point of these skills was. And by the book it was like "ask a question, make a roll, if you don't make it you don't know it." And everyone in my group thought that was kind of shit. Who is going to drop the kind of XP they're asking for only to fail a roll and be told you don't know this one bit of trivia. That and say linguistics points out, in DH there's a difference between knowing something and doing something. Which again just felt like taking a skill and splitting it in to multiple components for the sake of having more shit to spend XP on.

I think my eventually solution was to make knowledge rolls non-existent: you just know the shit you know. And I made knowledge skills cost like 100xp tops, rather than the 400? xp they can end up costing.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 02:09:57 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: May 06, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »

And I made knowledge skills cost like 100xp tops, rather than the 400? xp they can end up costing.
400 xp for the final rank, assuming you have two aptitudes. To go from unlearned to Veteran, you need 1000 xp if you have two matching aptitudes, 2000 if you have one matching aptitude, or 3000 xp if you have no matching aptitudes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: May 07, 2018, 10:20:41 am »

Yeah, which, compared to all the functional combat or even non-combat traits that have direct application, that just seemed like overkill. No one is going to drop that kind of XP if they have even slightly more appealing options.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: May 08, 2018, 06:48:54 am »

I noticed that the Hierophant's Sway the Masses can get you an automatic Charm test. Does that mean you can rock up to the Planetary Governor, spend a Fate Point, and automatically get all the cool shit, assistance, and influence that you get from having a good relationship with a Planetary Governor?
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 824