Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971640 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Hydra autocannons probbably turn any sort of elder flying cheese into mincemeat, although you’re not likely to have many.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

I’ve had an amusing fight with Eldar where I just flew a bunch of stormboys into his supersonic, thus blowing it up.

That’s a fun mental picture
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile

Got some pics of my Necromunda gang today. I'm really pleased with them. The new delaque models are really nice, if kinda fiddly to put together and lacking in options beyond basic pistols and rifles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

ASSIMILATE (with our fashionable ankle length dusters.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Forgeworld recently released a new army for the 30k ruleset, Daemons of the Ruinstorm.

Basically it's supposed to be the Daemons of Chaos before the Imperium had catalogued and understood the various types of daemons and the nature of the gods. As a result the army doesn't actually define what any of the daemons are and you can slap various custom stuff on them and use whatever models you like.

Odd thing is you can't represent the actual Chaos Daemons units, like you can't build any of the four lesser daemon varieties from the normal codex.

The basic troops choice is vastly different in base statline from other daemons and can be this weird mix of abilities you'd normally find in one gods forces or anothers. Like being fast and surrounded by a miasma of pestilence, or heavily armoured and psychic, or having wings on basic daemons plus a flamer for every 3 models in the units. It's just such a weird set of options to combine.

They get stat buffs on the first 2 turns, then are normal, then get penalties as the game goes on to represent the tides of the Warp receding and dragging them back as reality conflicts with their unnatural anatomy.

Also one of their army wide allegiance options is probably a reference to Malal/Malice. It's all about the conflict of Daemon vs Daemon and the self conflicting natures of chaos.

I really want to throw together some real abominations of units, but I also have no idea what would even work with these guys.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Jesus fucking Christ, that Malal rule is absolutely HILARIOUS. You can win if you lose everything in your army.

Also, the fact that it’s a Malal Army is fantastic.
Mayhaps we shall see something more concrete?

I kinda like how it’s freeform, since we haven’t categorized them Daemons. I fell like by categorizing, the Imperium basically shapes the daemons, lending more credence to the fact that Daemons follow the mindsets of mortals.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Got some pics of my Necromunda gang today. I'm really pleased with them. The new delaque models are really nice, if kinda fiddly to put together and lacking in options beyond basic pistols and rifles.

Hot damn dude, did you paint these?

Always thought about starting necromunda but FW and Australia straight up doesn’t mix.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Jesus fucking Christ, that Malal rule is absolutely HILARIOUS. You can win if you lose everything in your army.

Also, the fact that it’s a Malal Army is fantastic.
Mayhaps we shall see something more concrete?

I kinda like how it’s freeform, since we haven’t categorized them Daemons. I fell like by categorizing, the Imperium basically shapes the daemons, lending more credence to the fact that Daemons follow the mindsets of mortals.

It's a bit wonkier than that, the Malice-ish allegiance gives you a VP for every enemy Psyker or Daemon you kill and lose a VP for each of your own that's killed, if you score exactly 0VP at the end of the game you win. Against other daemons or Grey Knights it'd work pretty well, but otherwise it's rather shit.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So with the Ruinstorm guiding my hand I really want to make some funky daemon conversions, but I can't decide between monsters with man-faces or more conventional monsters.

There will be some more freaky stuff, I even ordered some lotus seed pods to make some big gross stuff with, but the bulk of the force will either need to be man-faced monsters or just monsters.

For context one conversion I'm envisioning is a dragon with a short neck, no back legs, a humanoid head and fur covering most of it's belly and around the neck area.

EDIT: So I've managed to get to an early mock up stage with a lotus pod based conversion.

So the basic plan from here is to use greenstuff to make the legs furry in places, and maybe add a fur loin region to strengthen the pod and the leg connections, then mounts some skulls on wire so they sit just inside the holes. I think three such abominations will look pretty nice and suitably WTF?! Daemonic, which is the general idea behind the ruinstorm daemons.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 05:10:08 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some simple scratchbuilt terrain for anyone interested in that sort of stuff.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Against my better judgment, my brother convinced me to get back into 40K.

My local game store had every codex but the Space Marine codex, so I checked online.  Amazon had it for cheaper than GW's website.  Amazon did not list which edition it was.

Surely nobody would put a 7 year old, useless army codex on Amazon for near full list price, right?

I took a gamble and lost.  Got the previous edition book.

Oh well, at least I still have a lot of unpainted models so the main expense of the hobby is still behind me...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I <3 making terrain.

Grim, if you haven't been to Terragenesis yet, I'd totally check it out. Sadly it went from a pretty nice pic showcase website to, apparently, just a forum. So I guess it's suffered a decline since the last time I looked.

Still, it's a great place to get inspired and get modeling tips on achieving specific looks or just general technique stuff. People with experience working different materials, best practices with said materials, etc. It's where I learned stuff like thinning your glue, mixing glue and spackle for a more durable, smoother drying texture. Pre-coating stuff like cereal box cardboard so it doesn't later warp, masking tricks with tape....all sorts of good stuff.

I got on such a terrain making kick one time it totally derailed my fig painting. I started doing things like building terrain between figs drying. Then my designs got more elaborate, requiring more prep work and precision, until I was just doing it full time. Eventually I got in to pink insulation foam and just started going ape shit, making craters for 40k, green hills for fantasy, decorative stone walls, trying to carve statues. Became a bit of an obsession for a while.

Anyways, I dig terrain work. Post it if you got it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I can't remember if I ever shared it here, but a few years ago I made a treeman with a horned skull for a head, some chaos inconography and beastmen bits attached. I've recently been kicked back into the mood that had me make that by some Kurnoth Hunters I saw converted to have bull skulls for heads and a more shaggy/swampy look.

So here's the first properly finished model of my current painting blitz, a skull faced version of Drycha Hamadreth. I'm also working on a batch of skull dryads, but Drycha's the first to be properly based as well as painted.

Once I've worked through some more of my model backlog I plan to try and convert a dragon out of a another Drycha and a treeman kit. Drycha's digitigrade legs and large claws are ideal for a dragon, but I'd need some extra length from the treeman.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:33:32 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

That looks outstanding dude. I kind of want to go and show all of my friends and then deal with the 'no, I didn't do this, but a guy online did. But not like a stranger from reddit, like we know eachother's work, sorta' conversation.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 824