Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965440 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

No no, those aren't men under arms they're men who just so happen to carry flamers around at all times in case they run into any heretics.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is also the Frateris Militia, who are technically not under the Ecclesiarchy so it's alright. They just volunteered to join our newest crusade, okay? We're not commanding them. I imagine the Inquisition comes down pretty hard if they overstep and take a more active role in calling up these faithful.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Covered, in the Horus Heresy and elsewhere. You can't read a 40k novel without getting the message that the thing that is saving you is also slowly killing you. It's writ large over the entire setting. I'm not going to say 40k authors are amazing, but I have read an absolute shit load of their work. The authorial intent of the setting is pretty much in all books on this front. In most 40k novels, no one cheerleads fascism. They do what they have to do to survive while getting a good look around them at what the Imperium has done to the human race.
I won't deny that the 40k novelists have done some good stuff, but I think you recognize as much as I do that the Iron Cross Guardsmen/Facebook Genocide types aren't getting their idea of 40k from ADB's commentary on the terminally sick mindset of Chaos Space Marines and such. That kind of quality hasn't extended itself to a place where I can believe it's default enough to assume it'll show up in 40k films. It's pretty much just the novels and maybe the motive rants from Dawn of War 2.

As an evil upset frothing-at-the-mouth fash I would like to say I think FSM actually lower the depth of 40k, what with making actually unique organization of Adepta Sororitas way less, well, unique, and also would make Marines less unique, I guess. Unless one is a person who violently screams about females being 1:1 the same as males, I don't see how that would be a good thing. Heck, the push for having FSM would be sexist because by forcing females into an exclusively male organization which has very similar, if not identical in many respects, goals that a exclusively female organization(Adepta Sororitas in this case) also has, you are essentially saying that the female organization is not good enough. In other words, that'd be like saying women should be like men because men are better.
This is what I mean by using a Lore Knot to escape the question. It's *exactly* this. I'm not asking for a change in lore, I'm asking for a change in context.

Imperium often trades with and somewhat supports alien races that pose no immediate threat because they simply do not have resources to go and kill everyone on their borders. Xenos that aren't an organization separate from Imperium are usually not kill-on-sight in Imperium proper even, though there is very much deeply ingrained speciesism, which mainly comes from the fact for longest time humanity was on the receiving end of the "die Alien scum" stick, with communities that actually worked together being rare and in-between. The desire to genocide otherwise peaceful races comes from the Imperial "Manifest Destiny" feeling of ownership and responsibility for entire Galaxy, and that desire is demonstrably necessary, since to survive and emerge victorious against not only Chaos, but also Tyranids and other races that are very much more hostile and genocidal, Imperium would need all the resources it can get.
The Imperium's claim that humanity was so faulted by aliens in the past is 100% Stab-in-the-back propaganda. Humanity conquered the entire galaxy at least twice. The aliens living throughout it did not fare well from those proceedings. They had weapons that were near-Necron levels of power. Just because exclusively the Eldar fucked up way worse doesn't change that.

The Nids are one thing, but the fact that all the upsides that can be pointed out in Imperial foreign policy are basically "we'd love to exterminate you, but we just don't have the time due to 100 octillion bugs in the walls call back later thanks bye" really says it all.

Daemons and other apparitions of evil existed way before humanity ever got off Earth, and we have to thank War in Heaven, Fall of Eldar and other similar fun times for that. Does humanity have a hand in Warp continuing to be shit? Yeah probably. Did humanity have a choice to make Warp not be shit? Not really, unless you count one of Horus Heresy alternative outcomes where Horus (somehow) kills absolutely every living being in Galaxy as a viable choice.
Humanity is absolutely responsible for the modern state of the Warp. Chaos is almost entirely human. Even daemons follow human psychology and aesthetics. I learned it from you, mon-keigh! I learned it from watching you!

You don't have to show the spiritual utopia humanity could have built if not for the Emperor's foolishness. Just to know that they lost out on it because they didn't try hard enough is plenty.

The Imperium has protected humanity from existential threats that would have made it extinct long ago, and the "ensured" part is arguable, both in-universe and outside of it. Having a very minimal chance is way better than no chance at all.
The ensured part is the best part, because it's the part humanity writ large divides into Chaos or Loyalist on. Everyone agrees that the Imperium has defeated existential threats, everyone's quite eager to look at that box. But then there's the other box. The box where the Emperor fucked up from square one in moving from non-intervention to galactic conquest with nothing in-between. The box where he literally cut out and cast off his own sense of humanity, because that's so much more unbearable than 10,000 years of undead psychic torment. The box where the social strata of the Imperium all comes together in your mind and you suddenly flash forward a million years into Imperial victory, seeing the last humans dispassionately eat each other.

Not everyone who fell to Chaos opened that box. But quite a lot of them did, even if they could not express it in those terms.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:01:13 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile

What alien groups would you negotiate with, besides the weird-ass unfitting blueberries?

The Slaughth, who eat humans for fun? The sweaty rape-goblins that are the Deldar? The Rang'dan? The Orks? The Osserian Psyrovoers or whatever the knockoff Independance Day aliens running around mind controlling Feral Orks to attack people? The Mega-Arachnids? The walking Typhoid Mary's that were the Interex? The Eldar, who are actually doing that? The Squats, who are actually trading with the Imperium?

What aliens are there out there that AREN'T either A: Talked to, or B: ASSHOLES?

There can be no real foreign policy if there's nobody listening.

As for Humanity being responsible for Chaos: Only because they're the dominant species. Sure, if they all died off, Warp is way less. But this has obvious issues. Also all other living things. So... Necrons are a good idea I guess? It IS an argument, just one with fairly omnicidal downsides. Hell, the Emperor is straight up the ANATHEMA. The thing that Chaos fears.

And the Emperor fucking up? Honestly with how badly GW mangled the HH narrative with moving parts, it's fucking impossible to say WHAT happened. How does the same Emperor dad the fuck out of Mortarion and only fail due to massive depression, yet cock up so bad with Angron? It stinks of "move the plot along", which is a big issue with how most authors portray him. Not the wise god-king, or the conquering tyrant, just a walking plot device. Never mind Gathering Storm and that weird shit it had Guilliman thinking.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

This discussion has gotten so meta.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

A man who underwent Sororitas training would not be a space marine.  He'd be shorter for one thing :P  Aside from the implants and gene-editing, which is a lot, he'd be trained entirely differently.  He'd be a member of the Ecclesiarchy.  He'd probably sing a lot and favor flame weapons. 
A man who grew up as a woman would not be a woman, in any practical way, same the other way around. There are differences and I see no problem in there being differences.

My point is that the gender split is not what makes the two factions unique.  It's unnecessary.
From a purely out-of-universe standpoint, do you believe that if GW pushed Female Space Marines more during the early era, would they introduce Sisters of Battle? Sisters of Battle are the female counterpart to Space Marines, and if there were actual Female Space Marines, Sororitas stop being really important anymore, both out-of-universe and in-universe to some degree.

Sorry, I just found that pretty insulting and absurd :P
Yeah, as I found the implication that anyone who would oppose FSM (for any other reason than nerd rage over "Well Sexist Emperor Did It") has to be fascist insulting and absurd. I feel like some degree of insulting is fine, of course, because I find that is what makes discussion very much human, but I do not have to say that I feel insulted to make a point.

I also disagree entirely.  There are countless meaningful differences between the genetically modified shock troops and the Church's flame-obsessed footsoldiers.  They both technically wear power armor (though completely differently) and both revere the Emprah (again, completely differently), and that's... it.  The Ecclesiarchy even has loads of male soldiers, they just don't strap into the boob-armor!
Yeah. Which is good, because without that you'd just have Male Space Marines and Female Space Marines, and that'd be diminishing the depth of the setting, which is the core underlying argument. And Ecclesiarchy doesn't really have male soldiers, there are Crusaders but they are passed off as neccessary bodyguards, and thus do not count as soldiers really, especially since there is very few of them, but someone mentioned that already.
There is also the Frateris Militia, who are technically not under the Ecclesiarchy so it's alright. They just volunteered to join our newest crusade, okay? We're not commanding them. I imagine the Inquisition comes down pretty hard if they overstep and take a more active role in calling up these faithful.
Ecclesiarchy since long has stopped really enforcing the "no men under arms", because they pretty much worked out that it's pretty dumb in terms of logistics with other factions. As long as they're not actively raising an army which purpose is strengthening the position of Ecclesiarchy, nobody really cares that much, but if someone starts to do that, they usually get assassinated/otherwise removed, and more often than not those priests are actually influenced by Chaos and staging an uprising, so in a way the problem solves itself.

I'm not demanding or expecting them to make a change, I understand why they won't.
This isn't about demanding, we're just talking about why.

All we're saying is:  If they did, it would not diminish the depth of the setting.  I say it would increase it, by distancing their creations from just "monks and nuns".  Isn't that an insulting oversimplification of what they've created, here?
It would diminish the depth of the setting. "Monks and nuns" is not exactly a shallow field to explore, and I would never consider that to be insulting. There is a lot to explore in terms of medieval convents and military orders that could be adapted to shooting ayys in spess. But then again, in your own words, Sororitas and Astrates are more unique than being just two gendered sides of one coin, so saying they're just "nuns and monks" would be contradictory to your previous statements, and if "Space Monk" Astrates simply would now include "Space Nuns" in their ranks, wouldn't that be closer to just "nuns and monks"?

This is what I mean by using a Lore Knot to escape the question. It's *exactly* this. I'm not asking for a change in lore, I'm asking for a change in context.
This is not lore? If I meant lore, I would just go with the traditional "Emperor did it this way". I am not talking about a change in lore, I am talking about how the change in context, which while I believe comes from good intentions, is resulting in exact opposite result.

The Imperium's claim that humanity was so faulted by aliens in the past is 100% Stab-in-the-back propaganda. Humanity conquered the entire galaxy at least twice. The aliens living throughout it did not fare well from those proceedings. They had weapons that were near-Necron levels of power. Just because exclusively the Eldar fucked up way worse doesn't change that.
We know very little about Dark Ages of Technology, so saying that they were the same level of genocidal as current Imperium is (with those rare examples of planets conquered during Horus Heresy where humanity did work with xenos in some splinter faction implying that they weren't), but we know that during Age of Strife a lot of them got severely FUCKED by Xenos.

The Nids are one thing, but the fact that all the upsides that can be pointed out in Imperial foreign policy are basically "we'd love to exterminate you, but we just don't have the time due to 100 octillion bugs in the walls call back later thanks bye" really says it all.
To be honest if Imperium had free reign and could do whatever they want, my guess would be slave labor rather than outright extermination, but yes. It's hard to pretend that destroying someone to get their shit is anywhere positive from an outside moral perspective, but I don't honestly see that as an negative for the winning side, which, again, is part of the "Manifest Destiny" approach of Humanity.

Humanity is absolutely responsible for the modern state of the Warp. Chaos is almost entirely human. Even daemons follow human psychology and aesthetics. I learned it from you, mon-keigh! I learned it from watching you!
That's pretty dumb though. Chaos is almost entirely daemons, which... are humanoid in shape. Just like Eldar. Just like Necrons. Just like Tau, for all it's worth. Don't equate their designs resembling humans to them being created by humans - most major daemons have existed for way longer than Imperium did, and it's evidenced by Enslavers and other Warp-based cuties that aren't daemons that the primary cause for it was War in Heaven, what with them hunting down most sentient psykers in Galaxy, which was the primary reason behind the whole Shaman mass sacrifice suicide to create one being strong enough to oppose them? Of course there's still Chaos Space Marines which are a major part of tangible Chaos influence on Galaxy, but that's the result of Chaos, not it's cause. The fact that Great Crusade wiped out most Chaos-worshipping xeno cults across the Galaxy doesn't mean they were never there, and as I said, you can argue that humanity as it currently stands is the biggest influencer of Warp, which I would tend to agree with, but they aren't the ones that have put Warp in the state it is, and with Chaos being, well, Chaos and liking to actually influence real space by rape, pillage and torture, it's really a snowball effect that makes thinking nice thoughts not a solution to fix Warp.

You don't have to show the spiritual utopia humanity could have built if not for the Emperor's foolishness. Just to know that they lost out on it because they didn't try hard enough is plenty.
What? The spiritual utopia that Terra was turned into a daemon-world few thousand years BC due to rampant psyker daemon explosions or maybe having the entire race be Enslaver food? Remember, Eldar only managed to not suffer that fate because they were created by Old Ones before Warp went to shit, and they were also taught proper techniques to manage, well, not exploding into daemons (which they did anyway, quite spectacularly, but whatever), and humanity didn't have that luxury. There's a reason why rampant increase in amount and power of human psykers is a problem, and it's not because humans are evil, it's because even the nicest of them can, again, quite literally, explode into daemons if not properly controlled.

The ensured part is the best part, because it's the part humanity writ large divides into Chaos or Loyalist on. Everyone agrees that the Imperium has defeated existential threats, everyone's quite eager to look at that box. But then there's the other box. The box where the Emperor fucked up from square one in moving from non-intervention to galactic conquest with nothing in-between. The box where he literally cut out and cast off his own sense of humanity, because that's so much more unbearable than 10,000 years of undead psychic torment. The box where the social strata of the Imperium all comes together in your mind and you suddenly flash forward a million years into Imperial victory, seeing the last humans dispassionately eat each other.

Not everyone who fell to Chaos opened that box. But quite a lot of them did, even if they could not express it in those terms.
What? I honestly don't fucking understand your point here. The only part I get is that you forgot that the "nothing in-between" was tried before, during Dark Ages of Technology, and it did not fucking work?

What alien groups would you negotiate with, besides the weird-ass unfitting blueberries?
There's bunch of literally one-liner mentions across the lore, but:
What aliens are there out there that AREN'T either A: Talked to, or B: ASSHOLES?
Yeah. Lore doesn't focus on the peaceful parts of the setting in which the main part of introduction is "THERE IS ONLY WAR", but as I said, authors have long ago decided just having constant war everywhere is kinda stupid in terms of suspension of disbelief, so they are mentioned. a bit. The closest you could probably get to seeing those parts is Rogue Traders, because those can have interesting and combat-heavy adventures in otherwise peaceful regions due to their swashbuckling nature.
EDIT: It should be noted that taking with the Blueberries is actually difficult, with their religious push on trying to force Greater Good on other races. Like trying to buy candy from a drug dealer.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:18:21 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like we're all just not talking about the root cause of no FSM.....marketing.

The 80s were a less gender aware time I feel. Warhammer and 40k were by and large a boy's club. In universe lore explanations of why males were chosen over females to be Space Marines aside....if there was a wider market for GWS stuff among females, it would have played a larger role at the time it was conceived of. And they got there, eventually, with the Sororitas.

It's the same story with comic books. They were less popular among women at the time they were created. Likewise, steps were taken to increase female participation by creating actual female characters, many of which were just derivative versions of their male counterparts. (She-Hulk for example, Super Girl, but in to the 90s plenty of unique badass superheroines as well.) Recently there has been the push to equally represent women using classic characters, and some studios went that route. It's their IP. But I think it's telling which ones they DIDN'T allow to become female. They didn't make Captain America a female. They didn't make Iron Man a woman. They didn't make Wolverine a woman.

Because at the end of the day, it's about marketing, not equality. They follow the trends that sell, and won't risk "valuable" aspects of their IP by changing it and alienating some fans to gain new ones. They'll make additions, sure. (Female Autobots, anyone?) But gender swapping or gender-nullifying core parts of the IP that were largely driven by gender identity isn't something most will risk. And what people are actually pushing for is not "context" or "lore" but equal opportunity in the marketing which naturally defines the lore. And while someone is pleased that they get the representation they feel they deserve, the actual people at the top are just happy to have a bigger share of the audience. If pets gave a shit about anything humans watch for entertainment, they'd probably squeeze out both men and women in the eyes of the people making decisions.

So we arrive at the lack of FSM with its lore explanations, and that works for me. If you're going to create a race of super soldiers, you want the ones with the highest level of aggression, the most potential for muscle mass. Men, who are historically treated like cannon fodder because only very few of us are actually necessary to sustain our population numbers. That doesn't seem sexist to me at all, it's just an extension of reality into the far future where things become extreme to the point of being almost unrecognizable. It also jives with the monastic traditions of medieval Europe as has been pointed out above.

So between the marketing needs and the generally sensible (to me) lore justification, I don't see this changing any time soon. Co-ed Space Marines also naturally begs the question....will they be fuckin'? Because that's what tends to happen when you put the genders in the same work space. 40k has gone to pains to avoid having to address that because sex and reproduction only factor in to its universe to the degree that there's more people in it. (Only their oldest and most veteran writers or the ones writing the longest novels write about romance, and I think with the except of Ian Watson and Gav Thorpe who explicitly focus on sex, almost all others acknowledge that people are still people, then immediately move on.)

The setting overall doesn't want to be about love, romance or pleasurable physical intimacy. It wants to be about war. The most its willing to dive in to actual gender relations is that are some very brief interactions between characters, and Slaanesh. Otherwise it doesn't want to have anything to do with it. We still don't know if Space Marines actually have dicks because answering the question begs another that the setting isn't interested in answering. To tie it back up to marketing, I think the reason sex has always been vastly underplayed is that 40k was and in some ways still is aimed at prepubescent boys who can't/shouldn't be exposed to sex. Can't sell them stuff if it's too sexy. Horrifically violent, oh sure, sell away. But let's not give them any ideas! So between Only War and a bizarrely T rating, 40k just did away with sex almost entirely.

I think it's OK to have diversity in our entertainment. I don't want a strong male presence in the Barbie Cinematic Universe because...I don't give a shit about Barbie. (And yet we have Ken. Not that he was created to increase male participation in the sale of Barbie dolls.) I didn't need nor want a strong male presence in Jem and the Holograms because I didn't care about Jem. And yet there's a few dudes there too. It's fine if guys have some stuff that mostly represents them, and woman have stuff that mostly represents them, and each might have a corner in the other's universe to call their own. What I don't want is to generically boil everything down to "we're all equal, we're all the same, every universe is a 50/50 split." Because there's shit men tend to care about that women don't, and vicea versa. That's what gives many universes their flavor, is that gender specific take and emphasis.

And there is plenty of female representation in 40k already. Hell I swear half of starship captains are female in fiction. At least 1/3rd of tech priests are women in stories. They're soldiers, captains, generals, rogue traders, saints, planetary governors, inquisitors, high lords and assassins. They get their own power armor and their own sacrosanct order. Why is the fact they can't get injected with male primarch DNA, get ludicrously big and monodominantly psychopathic an actual problem? For how much people complain about 40k being Spesh Mahreens all day every day, when it comes down to it Astartes still seem to be the thing everyone judges the setting by, despite there being an entire galaxy worth of other stuff to focus on, and which I feel like GWS takes specific attention to present a balanced spread of characters. The number of characters I read about who have "dark brown skin like mahogany" constantly surprises me, and seems like a deliberate attempt to be like "it's not all just white people" even though there is literally no other impact of their skin color than those two couple of sentences. No one cares about the color of your skin in the 40k universe, as long as it's not green or blue or purple. No one cares about which genitals you do or don't have, with the one exception of both Space Marines and Sororitas, they just care if you can wield a weapon effectively and die for the Emperor when your time comes. Some of the best killers, the Assassinorum, don't even get one shit about your genitalia unless it can be used to accomplish a mission.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:50:40 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Uhhh actually all three of those comic characters had female stand-ins for a while recently.  Tony was dead/a hologram for a while and instead we had Ironheart, an african american girl.  X-23, wolverine's daughter, took up the wolverine title after he was dead.  There was an alt-earth Cap that was the falcon's daughter.  Even Thor was swapped with Jane Foster for a good while.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair. I don't do most super hero movies so none of those rose up to my attention. (I only saw people freaking out about Captain Marvel.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I'm talking comics, not the cinema universe.  Although the MCU changed a lot about the comics over the years.  Captain Marvel's been a chick for a while I think.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Fair. I don't do most super hero movies so none of those rose up to my attention. (I only saw people freaking out about Captain Marvel.)
To be honest majority of freaking out about Captain Marvel I feel was that the movie was illogical in it's own self-contained world, was illogical in MCU as a whole, the Captain Marvel was just balant "hurr stronk wimin do it all no need man" in eyes of many, the movie had no actual point and also spat in the face of MCU as a whole. I would never accuse MCU of being profound, but I liked what they did with the linked universe and all, but Captain Marvel was definitely a very low point.
I'm talking comics, not the cinema universe.  Although the MCU changed a lot about the comics over the years.  Captain Marvel's been a chick for a while I think.
Mar-Vell the Kree person was a dude up to this point, IIRC. Danvers, the "human" Marvel has been a chick since always.

But all that aside:
It's the same story with comic books. They were less popular among women at the time they were created. Likewise, steps were taken to increase female participation by creating actual female characters, many of which were just derivative versions of their male counterparts. (She-Hulk for example, Super Girl, but in to the 90s plenty of unique badass superheroines as well.) Recently there has been the push to equally represent women using classic characters, and some studios went that route. It's their IP. But I think it's telling which ones they DIDN'T allow to become female. They didn't make Captain America a female. They didn't make Iron Man a woman. They didn't make Wolverine a woman.
As pointed out, they did. Which sometimes strikes me as very odd. I don't have anything against women replacing traditionally male characters in capestuff, but I feel like it should make sense and not be forced just due to a weird trend that's caused by this push to shove women everywhere as a rule. I don't follow comics a lot, but when I sometimes read up for the sake of some argument or something, it's really odd to me that suddenly nearly all important heroes are replaced by female counterparts.

Because at the end of the day, it's about marketing, not equality. They follow the trends that sell, and won't risk "valuable" aspects of their IP by changing it and alienating some fans to gain new ones. They'll make additions, sure. (Female Autobots, anyone?) But gender swapping or gender-nullifying core parts of the IP that were largely driven by gender identity isn't something most will risk. And what people are actually pushing for is not "context" or "lore" but equal opportunity in the marketing which naturally defines the lore. And while someone is pleased that they get the representation they feel they deserve, the actual people at the top are just happy to have a bigger share of the audience. If pets gave a shit about anything humans watch for entertainment, they'd probably squeeze out both men and women in the eyes of the people making decisions.
I don't really care for meta reasons such like why GW does a thing the way they do. I understand it's there, but I like to think of Warhammer as very vast story that I feel should be cultivated, though due to the amount of content that's often... in disagreement with each other, I just end up creating my own head-canon of pieces that I like. I still think Ollanius Pius as a mortal guardsman drove the point home a lot better than an army of Custodes and Terminators, and Ollanius himself being a perpetual so his death was absolutely moot. This is why I believe Sororitas being all female and Marines being all male creates and much better story than just having Female Space Marines (except if you're Matt Ward, fuck his Khornate Knights).

So we arrive at the lack of FSM with its lore explanations, and that works for me. If you're going to create a race of super soldiers, you want the ones with the highest level of aggression, the most potential for muscle mass. Men, who are historically treated like cannon fodder because only very few of us are actually necessary to sustain our population numbers. That doesn't seem sexist to me at all, it's just an extension of reality into the far future where things become extreme to the point of being almost unrecognizable. It also jives with the monastic traditions of medieval Europe as has been pointed out above.
I feel like having an in-lore explanation that kind-of makes sense due to different hormonal processes and other biology-related dongles is a good way of shoving the problem to the side, even if the actual "how?" is explained by theorycrafting and trying to fit an explanation to pre-existing narrative. It solves the nagging question as to "why not?" in-universe, even if it doesn't actually matter at all out of it. But again, this discussion was never about "why not?" in-universe, that one was had many times, it's about "why not" out-of-universe, but as I said, I don't particularly care for the most obvious meta answer of "GW won't do that because money", so I answer the "but it'd make a better story!" with "no it wouldn't". I don't think anyone here is really confused about as to why FSM have not happened in terms of Games Workshop.
Also, mixed convents were a thing. It's... complicated, as all things Catholic Church in medieval times tend to be.

So between the marketing needs and the generally sensible (to me) lore justification, I don't see this changing any time soon. Co-ed Space Marines also naturally begs the question....will they be fuckin'? Because that's what tends to happen when you put the genders in the same work space. 40k has gone to pains to avoid having to address that because sex and reproduction only factor in to its universe to the degree that there's more people in it. (Only their oldest and most veteran writers or the ones writing the longest novels write about romance, and I think with the except of Ian Watson and Gav Thorpe who explicitly focus on sex, almost all others acknowledge that people are still people, then immediately move on.)
The "will they be fuckin'" is probably a no. The thing that also tends to happen in male-exclusive work spaces is that, at least some, also start "fuckin'" if they have the regular sex drive and all necessary tools to do it. I don't think many Space Marines have been confirmed as (closeted or not) homosexuals (Slanneshi don't count for obvious reason), so I don't think they actually feel the need to, at very least. If somehow FSM would be able to and wanted to, you not only have more muscular version of Sororita lesbian R34, but also giant muscular women Snu-Snuing regular humans, considering the equivalent males are demonstrably not having sex. Or maybe raping asexual Marines. And all of those cases would be very weird.

The setting overall doesn't want to be about love, romance or pleasurable physical intimacy. It wants to be about war. The most its willing to dive in to actual gender relations is that are some very brief interactions between characters, and Slaanesh. Otherwise it doesn't want to have anything to do with it. We still don't know if Space Marines actually have dicks because answering the question begs another that the setting isn't interested in answering. To tie it back up to marketing, I think the reason sex has always been vastly underplayed is that 40k was and in some ways still is aimed at prepubescent boys who can't/shouldn't be exposed to sex. Can't sell them stuff if it's too sexy. Horrifically violent, oh sure, sell away. But let's not give them any ideas! So between Only War and a bizarrely T rating, 40k just did away with sex almost entirely.
On one hand I would wish that the setting "grew up" more, but on the other I think that'd be bad. People who want a more serious approach to 40K already do it, with their own headcanons and whatnot, that are fed by footnotes in official sources, and starting to put official info on more... controversial subjects can end very badly for everyone involved. There's a reason why D&D doesn't have official sex rules either (roll for anal circumference anyone?)

I think it's OK to have diversity in our entertainment. I don't want a strong male presence in the Barbie Cinematic Universe because...I don't give a shit about Barbie. (And yet we have Ken. Not that he was created to increase male participation in the sale of Barbie dolls.) I didn't need nor want a strong male presence in Jem and the Holograms because I didn't care about Jem. And yet there's a few dudes there too. It's fine if guys have some stuff that mostly represents them, and woman have stuff that mostly represents them, and each might have a corner in the other's universe to call their own. What I don't want is to generically boil everything down to "we're all equal, we're all the same, every universe is a 50/50 split." Because there's shit men tend to care about that women don't, and vicea versa. That's what gives many universes their flavor, is that gender specific take and emphasis.
I feel you could make a lot of people very, very angry about what you just wrote.

And there is plenty of female representation in 40k already. Hell I swear half of starship captains are female in fiction. At least 1/3rd of tech priests are women in stories. They're soldiers, captains, generals, rogue traders, saints, planetary governors, inquisitors, high lords and assassins. They get their own power armor and their own sacrosanct order. Why is the fact they can't get injected with male primarch DNA, get ludicrously big and monodominantly psychopathic an actual problem? For how much people complain about 40k being Spesh Mahreens all day every day, when it comes down to it Astartes still seem to be the thing everyone judges the setting by, despite there being an entire galaxy worth of other stuff to focus on, and which I feel like GWS takes specific attention to present a balanced spread of characters. The number of characters I read about who have "dark brown skin like mahogany" constantly surprises me, and seems like a deliberate attempt to be like "it's not all just white people" even though there is literally no other impact of their skin color than those two couple of sentences. No one cares about the color of your skin in the 40k universe, as long as it's not green or blue or purple. No one cares about which genitals you do or don't have, with the one exception of both Space Marines and Sororitas, they just care if you can wield a weapon effectively and die for the Emperor when your time comes. Some of the best killers, the Assassinorum, don't even get one shit about your genitalia unless it can be used to accomplish a mission.
This.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I feel you could make a lot of people very, very angry about what you just wrote.
Do we even need to be here for this?  I feel kinda relieved actually, carry on without me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Do we even need to be here for this?  I feel kinda relieved actually, carry on without me.
What?
EDIT: Is this a case of "hit the table and the scissors will speak up"? This was a rather generic remark, especially considering people here brought up arguments about making the world more interesting, rather than implying the necessity as an otherwise unexplained... rule that sometimes tends to be forced in many works on fiction and defended on the grounds that genders are the same.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:51:37 pm by Kot »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if nothing else, this is reminding me of why I like the more egalitarian xenos factions.

Krump the patriorky, ya gitz.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Well, if nothing else, this is reminding me of why I like the more egalitarian xenos factions.
I don't think there are many (I'd say any, but I guess some one-liners from the bottom of some Codex can be), but I'm somewhat confused at what's occurring here.
Pages: 1 ... 763 764 [765] 766 767 ... 824