Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971407 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #12135 on: November 20, 2022, 03:29:31 am »

Neat, they brought Squats back? Are they outside the Imperium or part of it? I'm not deep into the lore but I read a few books like the Ciaphas Cain series, played the Blood Ravens video games (at least the first one I got on sale years ago) and paged through a few game books, though never played actual WH40K tabletop, but I heard Squats were retconned a long time ago and what I read never mentioned them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K discussion thread: TTS is dead: so long, and thanks for all the bolters.
« Reply #12136 on: November 20, 2022, 06:27:55 am »

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Leagues_of_Votann#Sources

Looks like they're spiritual successors, in that they arent officially recognized as the squats but they say that with a 'nudge nudge wink wink'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12137 on: November 20, 2022, 03:08:09 pm »

The Squats have come back as the Leagues of Votann, who to my understanding are basically the new take on Squats, who procreate through cloning tech. Not bothered to get their codex because all I'd want is to run a berserker army, and that's what the World Eaters codex is going to be for.

Before that they have also come back as a mercenary and a faction for Necromunda. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/necromunda-ironhead-squat-prospectors-2022 (they were also mentioned in a list of abhumans back in 6th edition, but that's not much.)

I'm not clear if the Leagues are meant to be the new version of the original Squats but with a more viking/Fantasy-dwarves-in-Spaaaace! vibe, or an offshoot of the race that's doing better than the others. I think the general consensus is they seem somewhat Deep Rock Galactic-y, which isn't a bad thing by any means. Overtuned on release, which was a bit of a shitshow with tournaments banning them immediately pending a FAQ to nerf them, but GWs balance is all over the place because their internal checks on that stuff is garbage, so that's only surprising in just how busted they were.

Current 40k is much more open to embracing the fantasy inspired parts of the setting than it was for a while, all the little old weird things are starting to crawl out of the woodwork. Genestealer cults, beastmen and squats have all returned. The old rumours of the Dark Mechanicum and the Lost and the Damned (traitor guard) seem like they might actually have teeth now.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12138 on: November 20, 2022, 03:19:15 pm »

Deep Rock Galactic seriously invested in some better equipment?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12139 on: December 16, 2022, 10:08:32 am »

So I just heard there was a 40K TV series with Henry Cavill announced
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12140 on: December 16, 2022, 11:30:04 am »

I assume you'll only be able to see it on a streaming service.

If I had to guess at what it will be, I'm going to with Uriel Ventris. I can easily picture Cavill pulling that off in a suit of power armor, he practically looks like the cover art.

It's not exactly blockbuster material but I appreciate that he's doing what interests him. And who knows? Maybe this will help 40k break into more mainstream awareness beyond games. WarhammerTV doesn't really seem to have accomplished that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12141 on: December 16, 2022, 01:58:43 pm »

oh yeah, I heard about this earlier but didnt even think to post it here.  I expect some top tier b-list schlocky goodness from it
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12142 on: December 16, 2022, 02:10:39 pm »

I just wonder if Cavill knows enough to know that typical video game dialog from Space Marines is just going to sound schlocky and hammy.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12143 on: December 16, 2022, 03:03:24 pm »

My Hamilton says it will be bloody ultramarines
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12144 on: December 16, 2022, 03:20:43 pm »

lol unfortunately they are the goto chapter
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12145 on: December 21, 2022, 11:57:38 pm »

Sorry if this came up before, but is it clear what exactly happens to human souls in WH40K?
Like, Eldar souls are slurped up by Slaanesh.  Unless they are imprismed (sic) and recovered.
And presumably someone who has fallen to chaos would go to their patron...
or to chaos undivided somehow?

But what if someone was, random example, a gue'vesa in service to the Greater Good?

For that matter, what happens to loyal servants of the Emperor?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12146 on: December 22, 2022, 01:11:26 am »

Souls make up the fabric of the Warp. Most everyone goes there. Particular souls stand out so much (psykers, eldar) they're often devoured. Corrupted souls might get devoured, added to the weft and pull of their deity in the Warp, or might even be elevated into its own distinct entity. There's theories out there about ardent Imperial souls "going to the Emperor" or something but I think that's hogwash.

On the choice of content, if Cavill is savvy, there's a couple things they could do successfully I think:

-Go straight for the Highbrow stuff. Eisenhorn, Gaunt. (Not Ravenor. You don't put Henry Cavill in a box.) Of the two, Gaunt would be the easier one from a "get the audience into it" standpoint, but way more expensive since it's about battles, whereas Eisenhorn is a smaller scope story that's easier to shoot and budget for.
-Go for the easier stuff, but pick the right stuff. Ok so yeah, you end up doing Ultramarines to backend off the success of Space Marine 2. But you pick the cream of the crop like Uriel Ventris, something you can tell a decent narrative that was a few seasons worth of stuff to it, instead of a one off "Space Marine shoot thing."

What they should definitely not do is:

-Anything Horus Heresy. No one who isn't a 40k fan is going to attach to the lore. The Heresy only resonates because it informs the present of 40k.
-Anything current era storyline. Sort of the same problem. Guillman doesn't mean much to people new to 40k.

I think Cavill probably understands the kind of guardrails GWS wants to keep on the IP, so he's probably not? at risk of doing the same thing to 40k that Lauren Hissricht did with the Wither. Like I think he knows enough not to legitimately try to do something like this:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 01:21:27 am by nenjin »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12147 on: December 22, 2022, 04:55:13 am »

Sorry if this came up before, but is it clear what exactly happens to human souls in WH40K?
Like, Eldar souls are slurped up by Slaanesh.  Unless they are imprismed (sic) and recovered.
And presumably someone who has fallen to chaos would go to their patron...
or to chaos undivided somehow?

But what if someone was, random example, a gue'vesa in service to the Greater Good?

For that matter, what happens to loyal servants of the Emperor?

A lot of them get eaten by daemons. What situations allow daemons to eat you is vague, but largely seems to consist of dying anywhere that daemons know will involve a chance to feed. If you die on a battlefield where daemons are manifested they can literally snatch your soul and eat it as it leaves your body, and they like to wait in the Warp for new souls to become vulnerable to consumption. Safe bet is that the majority of human and xenos souls are consumed by various Warp entities (not necessarily, daemons, but most likely daemons,) at least until GW decides to advance the timeline and make another army of ghost warriors.

What exactly happens to the ones that don't get eaten by daemons is unclear, some Imperial souls like Saint Celestine's definitely get protected by the Emperor, but there's no Heaven in the Warp so where the ones who aren't sent back into realspace go is up in the air. Maybe the Emperor 'eats' them to power his defenses against the daemons.

Gue'vesa have no real protections against soul devouring, so presumably most of them get eaten. Though there is a manifestation of the Greater Good that some gue'vesa claim to have seen during a failed attempt to use one of the Tau's experimental warp engines, so maybe they are instead subsumed by this nascent godling.

Being eaten or dissolved into the Warp isn't the same as being destroyed mind you. The soul still exists, it's just in pieces or subservient to a warp entity. Soldiers who die in their sleep become blacksmiths in Khorne's realm for example, Slaanesh's victims become trapped in the layers of his palace. They have been 'eaten' by a god, but are still distinct from him. Similarly there are devices and powers that can call a soul back into some coherence to ask it questions or bind it to a new form. It's all rather inconsistent, or perhaps just vague and undefined. Warhammer is all about edge cases and leaving space for personal lore.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12148 on: December 22, 2022, 09:28:04 am »

Neat! Thanks a bunch  :)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12149 on: January 23, 2023, 01:30:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After many months of being hit or miss with painting, I've wound up with enough motivation to actually finish up my Knight Abominant. Or nearly finish him up anyway, there's a few birds I need to find for his shoulders and he still needs transfers applied, but he does have arms now, which is a big improvement on the previous few months.

Next up I really need to knuckle down and finish Be'lakor, he's been waiting on being finished for a very long while.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 808 809 [810] 811 812 ... 824