Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1562727 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 7037 laghs and counting
« Reply #7215 on: February 25, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »

I just want to know the logic behind CNN being the TV station of the Zoroastrians.
With no context or knowledge of the politics around the screencap, I would guess that some major Zoroastrian group gets most of its news from CNN, as do many others. Though that is assuming there is any logic behind the claim.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: February 25, 2017, 05:24:31 pm »

Never heard of Memri, but I'm reading some stuff about them. It sounds a lot like they're actually funded by Israeli intelligence and cherry-picking only the most embarassing quotes from Arabs they can.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/12/worlddispatch.brianwhitaker

Evidence from Memri's website also casts doubt on its non-partisan status. Besides supporting liberal democracy, civil society, and the free market, the institute also emphasises "the continuing relevance of Zionism to the Jewish people and to the state of Israel".

That is what its website used to say, but the words about Zionism have now been deleted. The original page, however, can still be found in internet archives.

The reason for Memri's air of secrecy becomes clearer when we look at the people behind it. The co-founder and president of Memri, and the registered owner of its website, is an Israeli called Yigal Carmon.

Mr - or rather, Colonel - Carmon spent 22 years in Israeli military intelligence and later served as counter-terrorism adviser to two Israeli prime ministers, Yitzhak Shamir and Yitzhak Rabin.

Retrieving another now-deleted page from the archives of Memri's website also throws up a list of its staff. Of the six people named, three - including Col Carmon - are described as having worked for Israeli intelligence.

Yeah, so they're good for a laugh, but you should be aware of the meta-narrative here that you're laughing at a deliberate parody of Arabs concocted by actual Mossad agents.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:30:28 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7217 on: February 26, 2017, 06:32:03 pm »

Never heard of Memri, but I'm reading some stuff about them. It sounds a lot like they're actually funded by Israeli intelligence and cherry-picking only the most embarassing quotes from Arabs they can.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/aug/12/worlddispatch.brianwhitaker

Evidence from Memri's website also casts doubt on its non-partisan status. Besides supporting liberal democracy, civil society, and the free market, the institute also emphasises "the continuing relevance of Zionism to the Jewish people and to the state of Israel".

That is what its website used to say, but the words about Zionism have now been deleted. The original page, however, can still be found in internet archives.

The reason for Memri's air of secrecy becomes clearer when we look at the people behind it. The co-founder and president of Memri, and the registered owner of its website, is an Israeli called Yigal Carmon.

Mr - or rather, Colonel - Carmon spent 22 years in Israeli military intelligence and later served as counter-terrorism adviser to two Israeli prime ministers, Yitzhak Shamir and Yitzhak Rabin.

Retrieving another now-deleted page from the archives of Memri's website also throws up a list of its staff. Of the six people named, three - including Col Carmon - are described as having worked for Israeli intelligence.

Yeah, so they're good for a laugh, but you should be aware of the meta-narrative here that you're laughing at a deliberate parody of Arabs concocted by actual Mossad agents.
I don't see how Mossad doing the translating doesn't make it funnier

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: February 26, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »

No it does make it funnier, but it's always good to be aware of who's propaganda you're laughing at.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7219 on: February 26, 2017, 06:49:57 pm »

No it does make it funnier, but it's always good to be aware of who's propaganda you're laughing at.
The propaganda doesn't belong to them anymore
They're my memes now

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: February 26, 2017, 06:50:36 pm »

They're my memes now
Seize the memes of production now comrade
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: February 26, 2017, 08:37:15 pm »

Everything in this thread.

The image in the second post really sells it, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: February 27, 2017, 10:09:05 am »

I won a heroclix of The Falcon the other day.

The flavor name for one of his powers is "Falcon Punch!"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7223 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:29 pm »

They're my memes now
Seize the memes of production now comrade
'We would not let our enemies have guns. Why would we let them have memes?' - Joseph Stalin

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: February 27, 2017, 06:57:34 pm »

A programming bug.
I set the code up so it would tell me that a repeatedly calculated value had passed a certain threshold.

It did so, not once, not twice, but until the calculations were complete.

In short, my code got overly enthusiastic.

Alternatively... hey! Hey listen!
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: March 04, 2017, 10:05:28 am »

Thanks for linking the Important Videos btw, I hadn't seen most of these before.  Some of the injury videos made me cringe, but there aren't too many...  and even some of those made me guffaw, destroying my moral high horse :P
I'm 3 days in, beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: March 04, 2017, 10:18:05 am »

I had been seeing the playlist in my recommended box for months until a friend of mine told me it was actually good stuff. "SomeBODY once told me" has been my favorite video on Youtube since that day.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: March 04, 2017, 12:23:15 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you Indian Thriller aka Girly Man.

Note: I've learned about this thing from Vinesauce Joel.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 879