Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316805 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1140 on: September 22, 2014, 01:09:52 am »

Thanks Putnam. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 22, 2014, 02:33:56 am »

Spoiler: Irrelevant Now (click to show/hide)
Edit: Seems Putnam cut to the root of his problem.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:36:00 am by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:25 am »

Hypothetical question, would it be possible to make a breath attack that causes an interaction that turns creatures engulfed in the attack into metal? Like, turn goblins into gold? Or gold ore? Looking at the tokens in the wiki for interactions and syndromes doesn't seem to imply this is possible.

EDIT: Looking at creature tokens, I think I could make a interaction in the breath that adds the [ITEM_CORPSE] tag so that when the creature dies, it leaves behind a non-standard item in place of a corpse, then kill the creature with either the interaction or an additional syndrome.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:41:39 am by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 22, 2014, 08:03:13 pm »

Hypothetical question, would it be possible to make a breath attack that causes an interaction that turns creatures engulfed in the attack into metal? Like, turn goblins into gold? Or gold ore? Looking at the tokens in the wiki for interactions and syndromes doesn't seem to imply this is possible.

EDIT: Looking at creature tokens, I think I could make a interaction in the breath that adds the [ITEM_CORPSE] tag so that when the creature dies, it leaves behind a non-standard item in place of a corpse, then kill the creature with either the interaction or an additional syndrome.
The right result, but the wrong method. Breath attack turns engulfed into creature that insta-dies with ITEM_CORPSE tag. Can't add that tag through interactions.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 22, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »

The right result, but the wrong method. Breath attack turns engulfed into creature that insta-dies with ITEM_CORPSE tag. Can't add that tag through interactions.
I realized that tag can't be added after researching it more, yeah. Guess there's no way to make a breath attack that kills creatures and turns them into metal?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 22, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »

I realized that tag can't be added after researching it more, yeah. Guess there's no way to make a breath attack that kills creatures and turns them into metal?
Reread the second sentence, it is the way to do it. I'll even explain further.
You can make creatures transform. Transformed creatures obey their tags. So you make them into a creature (can be made of metal if you wish) that dies (say if creature has no way to breathe but still needs to) and then they drop metal (using ITEM_CORPSE or EBO or something).
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:39 pm »

I don't believe my war dogs gain any exp in fighter.

Make them [INTELLIGENT] or make it so that they [CAN_LEARN]

thanks by the way.  Am going to try on my next fort, see how it goes (I'm gonna enable both).

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 23, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »

My interaction seems broken. Could anyone please help me fix it?

Code: (In the creature's raws) [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:SEARING_SPEAR]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Searing Spear]
[CDI:INTERACTION:PROJECTILES]
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:15]
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1]
[CDI:VERB:throw a searing spear:throws a searing spear:NA]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:21600]

Code: (In interaction_spells.txt) [Select]
[INTERACTION:PROJECTILES]
[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_ITEM]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[SYNDROME]

I'm aware that it doesn't do anything - I just need to be able to select a target so that I can trigger a DFHack script.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1148 on: September 23, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »

Perhaps add a [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK] to it?
Also a flow type [CDI:FLOW:FIREBALL].

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should I add CDI:VERB to my old 2012 stuffs?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:58:52 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 24, 2014, 07:03:34 am »

Thank you - seems like the interaction has to have an effect of some kind. The CDI:VERB isn't really necessary unless you want the game to make an announcement when you use the interaction.

Mostly unrelated question: How would I make sure that adventurers don't start with items made out of specific materials? Currently, I have a few materials that are supposed to be used in interactions only, but my wizard adventurer keeps starting out with them - and seeing as some of them are constantly on fire, that's no good. :c
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:13 am »

Thank you - seems like the interaction has to have an effect of some kind. The CDI:VERB isn't really necessary unless you want the game to make an announcement when you use the interaction.

Mostly unrelated question: How would I make sure that adventurers don't start with items made out of specific materials? Currently, I have a few materials that are supposed to be used in interactions only, but my wizard adventurer keeps starting out with them - and seeing as some of them are constantly on fire, that's no good. :c
[SPECIAL]? Weird weather uses the tag. Prevents appearance in stockpile menus. Also don't make the material wapon-able or metal?
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 24, 2014, 07:45:12 am »

[SPECIAL]? Weird weather uses the tag. Prevents appearance in stockpile menus. Also don't make the material wapon-able or metal?

Thank you, [SPECIAL] seems to do the trick. No more molten hands upon moving a few squares, huzzah! :D

Edit: How do I go about creating spells that don't require selecting a target, but automatically target the caster?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:20:42 am by TheDorf »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 24, 2014, 11:13:37 am »

Edit: How do I go about creating spells that don't require selecting a target, but automatically target the caster?
Make the target SELF_ONLY and remove [IT_MANUAL_INPUT:]. SELF_ONLY makes it only usable on self and removing MANUAL_INPUT makes adventurers unable to finagle it on to someone else.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:10 am »

Hey, a more general question: what do you guys recommend I start with as an intro to modding?
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:30 am »

There's a modding guide over at the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Modding_guide

I suggest you start by creating your own creature, preferably using another creature as a base. That's the easiest/most fun form of DF modding.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 247