Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 316673 times)

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1605 on: November 26, 2014, 10:55:25 am »

As I mentioned in the other thread, settlements will not spawn on glaciers. I have been informed this is incorrect.

Two other issues:
- There's a typo where you define their symbols: "DARNKNESS" instead of "DARKNESS"
- When defining the names of positions, you want them lower case, otherwise you get "Urist McHighelf was appointed ARCHON in 37"

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:32:51 am by Ladygolem »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: November 27, 2014, 05:06:44 am »

Will creatures use interactions with USAGE_HINT:GREETING in combat?
._.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: November 29, 2014, 02:45:51 pm »

What would be the best way to have an entity be consistently hostile, without making them ITEM_THIEF or BABYSNATCHER?
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: November 29, 2014, 02:59:03 pm »

Heavily opposing ethics. I made a draconian race, and made their ethics the exact opposite as dwarves. The world either only had draconians, or only had dwarves, because they were consistently fighting and killing each other off in war.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: November 30, 2014, 10:48:27 am »

I want to do some animal-modding work.  I've got a few questions:

If you make a creature shearable or milkable, does the tag automatically apply to the giant version as well?

Will a winged quadruped work?  I want to create a wolf-eagle hybrid to add something to the good biomes.

Is there a formula for calculating what size values you need in order to best approximate the creature's physical size?  I know size is based on volume, but I have no idea how you'd calculate the volume of something as un-geometric as an animal.

Can you create a "breed" or "subspecies" that will interbreed freely with the original?  A theoretical example would be a goat that doesn't give milk but can be sheared for mohair.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: November 30, 2014, 10:56:10 am »

1. Yep, giant animals are just a variation of normal ones.

2. It is entirely possible, but you may need to create new body parts.

3. "Some random name I forgot no offense" Law. volume = length ^3

4. Castes.
I do stuff, I guess

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: November 30, 2014, 11:20:04 am »

Re: size, you could also roughly estimate volume based off of relative comparisons. Humans are 70000, a cat is 5000, a polar bear is 400000. Just pick some animals that you think are more or less the same size as your creature, and copy / adjust their values eg. if you think your wolfeagle is slightly larger than a wolf, which is size 40000, you could say they are size 50000, which is as large as a sheep, or a leopard.

Also, as you can see, DF sizes tend to not really be exact or accurate. I wouldn't worry too much about getting it more than approximate anyway.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: November 30, 2014, 11:26:26 am »

Thank you!  Your answers are much appreciated.  Another question: How would I go about making an animal's wool more expensive?  I want to make musk oxen shearable, and their fleece is considered one of the very nicest luxury fibers.  I know there's a value multiplier for certain animals.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: November 30, 2014, 11:34:28 am »

For creatures with standard materials, you can approximate the size by weight - each kilogram approximately means 1000 size. So a 70000 size human from a weight of 70 kg, a 5000 size cat from a weight of 5 kg, a 400000 size polar bear from a weight of 400 kg.

Thank you!  Your answers are much appreciated.  Another question: How would I go about making an animal's wool more expensive?  I want to make musk oxen shearable, and their fleece is considered one of the very nicest luxury fibers.  I know there's a value multiplier for certain animals.
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5] (or whatever)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: November 30, 2014, 10:45:33 pm »

Can I make a tree use a different material than wood?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: November 30, 2014, 11:07:50 pm »

Can I make a tree use a different material than wood?

Yes, trees are made of whatever's specified in [TREE:X], where the X is the material token.  If it doesn't vaporise when you chop it down, it's a good idea to put in [WOOD] for proper stockpiling, even if the material isn't wood.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: December 01, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »

Have the raws of creatures themselves changed with 40.19?  I'm hoping I can just copy and paste over my modded versions.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: December 01, 2014, 03:36:43 pm »

Most male mammals did change, getting the body part selection tags for gelding. If you don't mind your creatures being ungeldable, you can just c&p, otherwise just add this line after defining or selecting the male caste:
      [SET_BP_GROUP:BY_TYPE:LOWERBODY][BP_ADD_TYPE:GELDABLE]
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: December 01, 2014, 03:43:29 pm »

Also, how do you get critters to breed?  I know there's a [CHILD] tag you have to put somewhere.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: December 01, 2014, 04:37:12 pm »

Also, how do you get critters to breed?  I know there's a [CHILD] tag you have to put somewhere.

All you need is at least one female caste and one male caste. In previous versions a child token was necessary as well, but now creatures without a child token will be born as full adults.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 247